Computer Issues

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
12th gen intel and a DDR4 board are divorced from the current issues unless ASUS screwed up a recent BIOS update on their end. Make sure you are putting them in the proper channels I assume it's 16GB x2 sticks.

For reference Z690 ASUS boards had instability with DDR5 but the 4s should be good.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Again running for a couple years so it's a new issue somehow.

Did update bios that was 3 years old, somehow it was u undervolted a little and its profile was different, put it back on xmp2 3600hz

Mem test still claims issue but i played most of the day yesterday without any blue screen.

Not sure how cheap ddr4 has gotten, id be inclined to just buy a new set of i knew for sure that was the problem rather than fiddling with it.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

Did update bios that was 3 years old, somehow it was u undervolted a little and its profile was different, put it back on xmp2 3600hz

Mem test still claims issue but i played most of the day yesterday without any blue screen.

Not sure how cheap ddr4 has gotten, id be inclined to just buy a new set of i knew for sure that was the problem rather than fiddling with it.
maybe dumb ? here but have you memtest+ (whatever it's called now) each individual stick? I had some Gskill sticks , wanna say 8 , and one of them decided a few years down the road to become an error factory. Took booting to memtest with that each individual stick in the A channel and letting it run overnight. Yeah it takes forever but I found it and the ram was replaced at zero cost. One of the reasons I almost always get GSkill.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i bought 64gb cl16 for under a hundred

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I began having a really strange problem today, entirely related to my Logitech Ergo K860 keyboard. Never had a problem like this before, but I've been unable to resolve it.
Problem:
Pressing either the z or p keys in a notepad document only type pz. Either key pressed and pz is displayed.
Next up, the g key is also fucked up. Earlier, pressing g while in notepad caused it to type the time + g. For example, 3:28 PM 8/3/2024g
Then if I press again it does the same, then eventually causes the game bar to open. If I'm typing in my browser, that doesn't work either. Instead of displaying the time, it just deletes everything else I typed previously. I'm only talking about the search bar, though. So I can't type on google, for example. Shift + p or z cause pz to be capitalized, but shift + g does nothing. Strangely, ctrl + g causes the screen to return to desktop, but it does it like turning a page in a book, as if you just booted up. You can't toggle through other screens because there are no other screens. And if you had anything opened before ctrl + g, it still shows up in your task manager, but you can't actually access it
Really fucking strange.
I made sure my windows 10 is fully upgraded, but not to 11. Ran an antivirus and also ccleaner with no results. I tried resetting my PC and also uninstalled the hid keyboard driver. Physically unplugged the Bluetooth dongle and removed batteries on keyboard. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I began having a really strange problem today, entirely related to my Logitech Ergo K860 keyboard. Never had a problem like this before, but I've been unable to resolve it.
Problem:
Pressing either the z or p keys in a notepad document only type pz. Either key pressed and pz is displayed.
Next up, the g key is also fucked up. Earlier, pressing g while in notepad caused it to type the time + g. For example, 3:28 PM 8/3/2024g
Then if I press again it does the same, then eventually causes the game bar to open. If I'm typing in my browser, that doesn't work either. Instead of displaying the time, it just deletes everything else I typed previously. I'm only talking about the search bar, though. So I can't type on google, for example. Shift + p or z cause pz to be capitalized, but shift + g does nothing. Strangely, ctrl + g causes the screen to return to desktop, but it does it like turning a page in a book, as if you just booted up. You can't toggle through other screens because there are no other screens. And if you had anything opened before ctrl + g, it still shows up in your task manager, but you can't actually access it
Really fucking strange.
I made sure my windows 10 is fully upgraded, but not to 11. Ran an antivirus and also ccleaner with no results. I tried resetting my PC and also uninstalled the hid keyboard driver. Physically unplugged the Bluetooth dongle and removed batteries on keyboard. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?
There a switch on it to swap between mac/pc? have another keyboard to test with to see if its software/hardware?

Malakriss

Any ideas?
Hitting F5 in notepad prints the current time, so that implies your function keys might be messed up at a minimum.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
There a switch on it to swap between mac/pc? have another keyboard to test with to see if its software/hardware?
There's an on/off switch on the back, near the edge. Aside from that, no switches. Just the buttons.

20240803_203211.jpgSmartSelect_20240803_204025_Gallery.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Hitting F5 in notepad prints the current time, so that implies your function keys might be messed up at a minimum.
Oh, I skipped some. It was only displaying the time at first. But after I hit g a few times, it started opening up the Xbox game bar. Press it again and you're back at the desktop, but with the programs minimized. Once I closed the various windows associated with the game bar, it stopped reporting the time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you have other Logitech connected with the reciver? Are you using nano receiver or new bolt receiver?

I had issued with 2 mice and keyboard, delete all devices and reconnect

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm only using 1 logitech device right now, and it's connected via the blutooth dongle thing.
Strangely, my g key seems to work today, but p & z are both still typing pz. Odd.
20240804_094206.jpg20240804_094156.jpg
I didn't even realize that I could connect this directly to my computer via blutooth, so I just took the dongle out of the equation. G key still works, but p and z still type pz.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm only using 1 logitech device right now, and it's connected via the blutooth dongle thing.
Strangely, my g key seems to work today, but p & z are both still typing pz. Odd.
View attachment 539724View attachment 539725
I didn't even realize that I could connect this directly to my computer via blutooth, so I just took the dongle out of the equation. G key still works, but p and z still type pz.
Yea that's called the unifying nano receiver, not Bluetooth, logi tech, ppl say it's faster better than BT, your choice.

Sounds like you physical keyboard wires crossed, you spill anything on it? Try cleaning the membrane might fix it or break it

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Good shit. I just deleted the blutooth connection and re-connected the USB dongle. It didn't connect to the keyboard, so I had to download the unifying receiver software. Then it instantly paired, and everything works perfect once more. p & z are functioning, as well as g. Thanks a lot. I had no idea logitech had specific software just to use the dongle. I always thought it was just an automatic thing.

• 1Solidarity

Aazrael

Got a few crashes on my computer the last week. It shuts down and then BIOS pops up that the CPU overheated.

Been fine a few days now though. Played PoE and it really makes the computer heat up for some reason.

Its an AMD 5900x and seems to hit 90C quite a lot. The cooler is a Thermalright Peerless Assassin thats maybe 1 year old.

Must be a cooling paste issue unless the CPU is getting bad all of a sudden? If I read correctly the 5900x does run hot as the norm.

Daidraco

Got a few crashes on my computer the last week. It shuts down and then BIOS pops up that the CPU overheated.

Been fine a few days now though. Played PoE and it really makes the computer heat up for some reason.

Its an AMD 5900x and seems to hit 90C quite a lot. The cooler is a Thermalright Peerless Assassin thats maybe 1 year old.

Must be a cooling paste issue unless the CPU is getting bad all of a sudden? If I read correctly the 5900x does run hot as the norm.
Thought you was talking about an Intel CPU for a second, and was going to say you got the red ring of death - file warranty claim now. But since its AMD, I'd wager whoever did a shitty job with the paste or the cooling hardware itself is shit tier. Whats cooling it?

Aazrael

Thought you was talking about an Intel CPU for a second, and was going to say you got the red ring of death - file warranty claim now. But since its AMD, I'd wager whoever did a shitty job with the paste or the cooling hardware itself is shit tier. Whats cooling it?
I built the computer when everything was newly released. I switched from an AIO to the Peerless Assassin last summer and I think I might have used some old paste or its the factory applied paste on the cooler still.

Ordered some Kryonaut paste to reapply it and will see if it fixes anything.

The cooler got a postivie review by the Tech Jesus guy but it is a cheaper cooler for sure.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

So yea it seems I am indeed retarded. Maybe. I removed the fan and reapplied thermal paste. The config I had used was basically Pull/Pull (2 fans) and I noticed that might not be the best as I have a big exit fan in the back. So switched to Push/Push and also noticed my retard 2023 self might have put the fans the wrong way...

Not 100% sure as I did not look overly close when I removed the fans but 99% sure they were blowing towards the front. Now my idle went from 50C to 39C (25C room temp).

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So yea it seems I am indeed retarded. Maybe. I removed the fan and reapplied thermal paste. The config I had used was basically Pull/Pull (2 fans) and I noticed that might not be the best as I have a big exit fan in the back. So switched to Push/Push and also noticed my retard 2023 self might have put the fans the wrong way...

Not 100% sure as I did not look overly close when I removed the fans but 99% sure they were blowing towards the front. Now my idle went from 50C to 39C (25C room temp).
tho still, when you get the kryonaut do a proper ipa cleaning instead of letting that 5900x have some sloppy seconds

Aazrael

tho still, when you get the kryonaut do a proper ipa cleaning instead of letting that 5900x have some sloppy seconds
I cleaned it up and applied Kryonaut.

Started getting blue screens and crashes now though. Not sure what happened. The temperature is way lower than before.

Decided to reinstall Windows and see if that fixes these wierd blue screens. I did mess with monitor settings etc to try and scale the monitors to match (1440p and 1080p).

No crash during windows install so maybe it corrupted something in a reboot.