Computer Issues

jeydax

Death and Taxes
nvm I got it working, quick question ive never had two hard drives, how will this work if I have origin and steam on my 128 and I go to install/download games that run through origin on my 256, how does that work, do I need origin and steam on the hard drive that will have the games?
If I'm not mistaken, Steam has an option to select where each individual game is installed to when you first go to install it. So no, you don't necessarily need steam on the same drive as all of your games. I'd test to confirm this but I'm at work ATM.

AFAIK Origin goes I'm not sure and will look into it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Reseat your GPU if you haven't already (take it out and put it back in) - and double check the power is properly connected to it. Also most modern mobos have an HDMI slot to use a monitor on the built-in graphics, pull the GPU and test that to see if the monitor works there.
Already reseated GPU, made sure to check the PSU was connected. Still no good. My monitor is old -- they did not have HDMI back then, lol.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Got the new monitor. It works. Safe to assume my old monitor finally died. :| BUT, the QNIX I got is amazing. 2560x1440 resolution is amazing. Lol.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I got my hands on aAsus Xonar U1. It comes with a big ass button on top to control the volume. The problem is that the button isn't working while using the card with the spdif output. I get the OSD volume thingie but nothing happens.

Pretty sure it's the crappy drivers but I figured I'll ask here as well.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have a bit of a puzzler for you guys. I have an old computer I want to try and put back into service as a Kali Linux/Metasploit box but I need to find out what is wrong with it first and I don't want to spend much money. I got rid of it because it was old, but also because it was having issues. It would power on and everything seemed normal, but the display wouldn't work. Just black screen, appears as if in sleep mode. So I immediately figured graphics card and replaced it, and it worked. For about 2 weeks. Then, same exact thing. Boots up, no outward indication of problems but no display. I have tried to read up online, the only thing I have come across that sounds logical is that it may be a power supply issue. Any ideas? I know the second video card is good because I have tested it in another machine.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
is it slightly old and has built in video on mb? maybe go into settings and see which boots up first (video source, like pci-x->pci-e-pci0... etc)happened to me once.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah it is about 6 years old. I am going to try some different things this weekend maybe and I ordered a power supply tester off Amazon so if I can't get it going I will know for sure if it is the power supply.

Kaita

Golden Squire
I think my onboard audio died on my msi motherboard. At first I thought it was a driver issues, I messed with them and eventually did a new windows 7 install and still no sound. It looks like it's playing just no output. All my slot room is full, anyone have good experience with a USB sound card?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So I am having an issue when streaming videos. The video will hitch from time to time, yet the audio continues with no problems. I have had this same issue in the past with a computer and was never able to figure it out. Any suggestions?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I am having an issue when streaming videos. The video will hitch from time to time, yet the audio continues with no problems. I have had this same issue in the past with a computer and was never able to figure it out. Any suggestions?
For me it was always the computer was just too old to play high def videos. You could bring up the task manager, sort by CPU and look for any jumps in CPU usage while playing videos.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I get that on my really old laptop or on my newer PC when I am just doing too much shit on it, especially transcoding video (ie plex) and trying to do other shit at the same time.

I fixed my issue by reseating everything on the motherboard. Which I had already done, multiple times. But this time it worked... fucking computers man

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
My computer keeps getting this screen. It occurs whenever I tried to patch Diablo 3 or About 20 minutes after I opened WoW, EQ2, or other games and an internet browser (or EQ2 and WoW at the same time). However now its happening non stop in Elder Scrolls Online. Usually when I'm in a big siege battle or many people on my screen, but has happened just when I'm the only one around.
Friend who build it updated drivers as I thought it was that but now I read I may need to update BIOS or undo overclock (not even sure if it is overclocked). Also not too sure on how to do either of them and don't want to fuck something up

rrr_img_63813.jpg

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Can you take a pic without blocking the letters/numbers where it says "*** STOP: 0x00000101 (??????00000031, etc, etc) and make sure we can see all the letters/numbers.

Also can you list your hardware? CPU (overclocked or not?), Motherboard, GPU, Memory, PSU, etc. Also, do you have a dedicated sound card? Or do you use built-in sound on the motherboard? USB Headphones?

First thing I'd do I guess would be to doublecheck and make sure DirectX is fully updated and make sure all drivers are fully up to date.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'd read similar stuff last night when I was digging around. Most of what I found pointed towards DirectX, motherboard/GPU drivers, or a hardware failure of sorts. Hard to diagnose yet.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Had my friend who built it update the drivers for me, I'd have him look more into it but I already left back to school. I just checked the DirectX and its at 11 (which microsoft said is current). Not sure about the sound, I do have USB headphones in I did just uplug them too see if it changes but pretty sure it has happened without them in. I do not believe it is overclocked.

rrr_img_63858.jpg

rrr_img_63859.jpg

Sorry for size of the picture