Computer Issues

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thank you very much. Will run them tonight to clean everything up. Appreciate it!

The Master

Bronze Squire
For some bizarre reason I can't get to the BIOS on the wife's new laptop (ASUS Taichi). User manual says it is F2. So I press F2 at POST and it still boots right into Windows. Booting up takes like 2 seconds because of the SSD.... am I just missing the tiny window or something?

iannis

Musty Nester
Furious mashing. Does the f2 key actually work?

But yeah, stuff is starting to boot so fast that if they haven't already they probably need to put a jumper on the board that will send you directly to the bios menu do not pass go.

Edit: I thought there might even be a software utility that rebooted you into bios, but that is apparently unpossible because of the boot process itself. I bet you could do it with one of those fancy keyboards though.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Depending what you're trying to do in the BIOS, you might be able to do it via UEFI from within Windows 8 itself.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Furious mashing. Does the f2 key actually work?

But yeah, stuff is starting to boot so fast that if they haven't already they probably need to put a jumper on the board that will send you directly to the bios menu do not pass go.

Edit: I thought there might even be a software utility that rebooted you into bios, but that is apparently unpossible because of the boot process itself. I bet you could do it with one of those fancy keyboards though.
Yep, it works, and furious mashing did nothing. Really odd. Turns out ASUS provides a utility app you can run in Windows for what I had to do though. Still annoying.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep, it works, and furious mashing did nothing. Really odd. Turns out ASUS provides a utility app you can run in Windows for what I had to do though. Still annoying.
Is yours one of those laptops that comes with the function keys obfuscated by default by some lameass function modifier button, like every HP laptop I've ever seen? You might be mashing the wrong key without knowing it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
F2 you say? Everytime I want to get into BIOS and don't know the key I just furiously slam F8, F11, and DEL. One of those usually works.

It's definitely not F2 on my Asus.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
So, my motherboard (Gigabyte Z87x-HD3) ended up RMA. It worked fine, and then I update the BIOS to F3 (released April 2014). That is when I started having MAJOR trouble. The only way I could get the computer to boot was by removing and inserting the cmos battery. So I RMA'ed and got my replacement.

Everything is working fine, but I am afraid to update the BIOS. The default of this BIOS is F2 (Jan. 2014). The default of my other mobo was F3...Should I flash my BIOS? Or wait until they release a more stable version? Because all my problems happened after I update the BIOS.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Is yours one of those laptops that comes with the function keys obfuscated by default by some lameass function modifier button, like every HP laptop I've ever seen? You might be mashing the wrong key without knowing it.
You have to hold down the fn key to change them. I checked. Really easy in the case of F2, because it turns the WiFi on/off and has a light in the key to tell you if the Wifi is on or off.

@Noodleface: User manual says F2. I also tried all the other standard buttons.No dice.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So, my motherboard (Gigabyte Z87x-HD3) ended up RMA. It worked fine, and then I update the BIOS to F3 (released April 2014). That is when I started having MAJOR trouble. The only way I could get the computer to boot was by removing and inserting the cmos battery. So I RMA'ed and got my replacement.

Everything is working fine, but I am afraid to update the BIOS. The default of this BIOS is F2 (Jan. 2014). The default of my other mobo was F3...Should I flash my BIOS? Or wait until they release a more stable version? Because all my problems happened after I update the BIOS.
Generally speaking a released BIOS shouldn't have a bug that requires changing a CMOS battery. You should be fine, but if you google that specific BIOS and look to see if other users experience the same thing then you may get a better idea.

Silence_sl

shitlord

If it's not broken, don't break it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If it's not broken, don't break it.
Yep. If there isn't a specific issue affecting you that is fixed by a newer BIOS, don't bother. You don't need to run the latest one if yours is working properly.

Crone

AdwCleaner removed some stuff, but I'm still getting keywords highlighted all over web pages. Going to keep searching, and see if I can get it fixed. AdwCleaner said it removed 2 extensions from Chrome, the browser I'm using, and some registry and folders were deleted as well. I'm sure all good stuff, but for some reason, this one is quite elusive.

Edit: Well I thought that I had fixed it, and came here to post that Through AdwCleaner, Malware bytes, and another one called Hitman Pro, I was able to remove the "Greatsavings" virus. However, I just clicked edit post, and it opened a link in another tab. So while the imbedded keywords all over the page seem to be gone, links on a page are still getting hijacked.
frown.png

Going to keep trying, but might just end up doing a format/reinstall on this thing.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
If you can post some scan results here, that'd probably help. It's probably something other than Greatsavings now.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Also you're going to want to go to internet options in your control panel and check the connections tab. In the LAN settings make sure the virus didn't change things so you're connecting through a proxy.

Crone

Sorry for the delay, I will be tackling this today, to try and get it finally resolved. Even if that means a format , and reinstall.
tongue.png

Will edit, and post some scans here in a little bit, and check my LAN settings.

Crone

Here is Adw Log. This is probably the 3rd time I've ran it, since last week, but figured I'd show you guys.

Nevermind. I just uninstalled Google Chrome, and it seems to all be fixed. I have no idea how Chrome got entirely hijacked, but it did. Sorry for all the posts, for something that was so simple. I figured it out because I clicked on greatsavings and it brought me to a page that I had a greatsavings extension. Well, I didn't, so I was like, hell, let's just uninstall the whole damn thing and see. Sure enough, it worked.

I had no idea that my entire Chrome could get hijacked.