Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
@a_skeleton_03 Void Void

Any idea guys why Sonarr won't pick up a torrent that I manually queued? It downloaded it, and it's in the folder that should be checked for completed downloads, but it's not. Just sits there. The folder I download torrents too is different than the folder SABnzbd puts completed files in. If I manually import the show, through the wanted tab, it'll then parse them and move them, but then it deletes the files, so then it fucks up my seeding, even though I have hard links turned on, but that apparently only works if the completed download handler does it, and not through the manual process.

wtf, I want sickbeard back. :(

Maybe I should wipe both drives, and turn them into a dynamic drive so that the system seems them both as just 1 big drive, that way I don't have multiple drives that I'm storing everything on? I don't know.
I'm not understanding all of this, particularly
It downloaded it, and it's in the folder that should be checked for completed downloads, but it's not. Just sits there.
Is it in the folder or not?

There's no real point in making it one big drive since I'm assuming you are moving the files to series folders anyway, and moving them to a folder or moving them to a different drive makes no difference in the big picture, you still moved them.

Detail the steps you're taking when it works normally, and the steps you're taking when doing this. As in, which folder each step goes to (.torrent file, TV show file, etc.). Be as detailed as possible. Otherwise, I don't know that I'll be able to help because your setup could be completely different than mine. Not to mention, I have a seedbox so I only download a copy of it to my local computer, it stays up on the seedbox forever no matter what I do locally. So I need to see what you are doing, I can't just guess.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We're just checking out Sling TV. It's great for sports, but you do have to have a very good high speed connection.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not understanding all of this, particularly Is it in the folder or not?

There's no real point in making it one big drive since I'm assuming you are moving the files to series folders anyway, and moving them to a folder or moving them to a different drive makes no difference in the big picture, you still moved them.

Detail the steps you're taking when it works normally, and the steps you're taking when doing this. As in, which folder each step goes to (.torrent file, TV show file, etc.). Be as detailed as possible. Otherwise, I don't know that I'll be able to help because your setup could be completely different than mine. Not to mention, I have a seedbox so I only download a copy of it to my local computer, it stays up on the seedbox forever no matter what I do locally. So I need to see what you are doing, I can't just guess.
Yeah, sorry. I realize that I explained it very poorly.

So I have a show, Portlandia that was added to my Sonarr queue via Plex Requests. The history shows that it tried to get episodes, but didn't get any. This probably has to do with it's too old for Usenets, and IPT doesn't have a search feature without additional things for it (Jackett). Anyway... So right now I have 0 shows of Portlandia, but to test things, I go to IPT and find a season TV Pack of Season 1. I get it and it downloads via Deluge, my torrent client. It was already un-rar, so now 8 episodes of Portlandia are sitting in my Downloads folder. This is where all torrents download too.

But Sonarr is doing nothing with it. It's just sitting there in the Downloads folder. It's not moving it to the Seasons folder of Portlandia, it's not recognizing it or doing anything with it.

However, if I were to go to the Wanted tab of Sonarr, and click manually import, choose the Portlandia folder that is in my Downloads folder, and choose manually import. It would then move the files. The problem is, when you use Manual Import, it for some reason, despite having connections to Deluge, and should be able to see that it's still seeding, it deletes it. So I can manually click a few buttons and get the show to it's correct seasons folder, in which Plex would recognize it and get it up on my Plex server, however, it then deletes it, and that screws up Seeding it.

When it works normally, the torrent downloads like normal, it then hard links it or copies it to the correct seasons folder, therefore allowing it to continue to seed, but also show up on Plex.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Right, you are circumventing all of the tools in place for it to hard link.

If it doesn't send the .torrent file itself then it won't integrate well. You passing it a bunch of files makes it think you just grabbed it via a thumb drive. or something. It's not smart enough to then stop there, part of the finishing up is to check Deluge and "clean it up" also.

Basically don't do anything by hand without manually copying it to a new folder for Sonarr to see.

Crone

Right, you are circumventing all of the tools in place for it to hard link.

If it doesn't send the .torrent file itself then it won't integrate well. You passing it a bunch of files makes it think you just grabbed it via a thumb drive. or something. It's not smart enough to then stop there, part of the finishing up is to check Deluge and "clean it up" also.

Basically don't do anything by hand without manually copying it to a new folder for Sonarr to see.
Ok, so then what's the correct procedure here? I had to manually download it, so then it finishes downloading the torrent, I should manually copy the files where? they are already in the completed downloads folder, so why isn't Sonarr automatically parsing them and placing them into the correct show/seasons folder?

And if I have to do this manually, where do I copy them so that they will get named correctly? Just copy them straight into the correct show/seasons folder myself and it'll rename them at that point?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Ok, so then what's the correct procedure here? I had to manually download it, so then it finishes downloading the torrent, I should manually copy the files where? they are already in the completed downloads folder, so why isn't Sonarr automatically parsing them and placing them into the correct show/seasons folder?

And if I have to do this manually, where do I copy them so that they will get named correctly? Just copy them straight into the correct show/seasons folder myself and it'll rename them at that point?
So you can set up the drone (the program used to be called NZBDrone) to check that folder.

drone.png

This is under download client.

Crone

So you can set up the drone (the program used to be called NZBDrone) to check that folder.

View attachment 96054

This is under download client.
I was told that the Drone Factory folder is obsolete, but I'll set it anyway. The Completed Downloads handler that you can see mentioned in the log was supposed to replace it. I'll set it anyway, and see what happens.

Thanks @a_skeleton_03

Crone

None of Sonarr is going without hiccups. I'm seriously about to switch back because while I enjoy being able to use torrents to get episodes, this shit is stupid. Sonarr snags an episode of Arrow, Deluge downloads the Torrent, but then it just says it can't find the file in the Downloads folder. I go to extract the file again, and it pops up that it's already there. So wtf couldn't Sonarr read it and handle it? Because of this, it then downloads the 720p version of the file, but I have doubts that it'll do anything with that either. Ugh.

This is what I get for being greedy. Should have just stuck with what I had, because it was working just fine.

Edit: So I had removed the drone folder option, because while it was working, it was giving other errors, because I had pointed it to the same folder that has my completed torrents in it. Which would make sense to me, as I would want it to scrape that folder for things completed, and move them into the correct show/seasons folder. Also, when it would work using that same folder, it would then delete the file from my torrent client, despite it still seeding.

So I set the drone folder again, this time to the directory that Usenets completes files too, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Crone Crone

Sorry I'm late, but if I'm understanding this correctly, without Jackett you'll always have to download things manually, right? Although, you say that it is able to download an episode of Arrow, so maybe I'm just not following why it isn't finding Portlandia for you. Is it because Sonarr only parses the RSS feed from IPT, and only new things show up on there? I guess that would make sense then. Just trying to figure out your procedure out loud for myself.

So the first obvious step would be, why aren't you using Jackett? I've never even heard of it prior to this conversation, so maybe it sucks, or is difficult to use, but I don't know, so tell me why you aren't using it. If you were, I'm assuming this would fix your problem?

If Jackett isn't an option for whatever reason, your next option is just moving/linking old shows by hand. I know that isn't what you're looking for, but how many old shows do you end up getting? If 95% of what you download is new and Sonarr with the RSS feed will work just fine, maybe it is worth that 5% hassle. If you get a lot more old show requests, maybe it isn't worth it. But again, I can't know until you tell me.

As far as the Drone Factory folder, no idea where you got the idea that it was obsolete. It is literally just for putting files already on your computer into a spot so when it checks it says, "Hmm, these are new and I have no idea where they are from, let's try to put them somewhere." It also has a little caution triangle next to it that specifically says "Download client history items that are sorted in the drone factory will be ignored." So that tells you right there that you can't make it the same as your Download folder, which is why you had problems when you made them the same. So you need to get those old shows into the Download folder so it parses them correctly.

The best way to do this would be to add the series in Sonarr yourself (or is this somehow being done automatically with Plex Requests? Unfamiliar with that...if so, ignore the manual part), and make sure the episodes you want are tagged as "monitored" (the little flag is filled in). Without them being monitored it won't work. Now, go to IPT and download the .torrent file and put it into the directory that your Download Client is pointed at. Let it send to Deluge via that directory, don't just import the .torrent directly into Deluge yourself. This will let Sonarr know that it has requested the file so it is looking for it. Again, without that, it isn't going to reliably work. Once it downloads, it should now be in your Download directory that Sonarr checks. Assuming you have it set up correctly, it should then parse and link and move each file correctly (it can take a little time, so don't freak if it doesn't do it instantly).

If that doesn't work, I'm pretty much going to have to see some screenshots and step-by-step directions for what you are doing. But that should work, because that's how I do it when, for example, BTN is down for maintenance and I need to manually download from IPT instead. I use a seedbox and Dropbox instead, but same concept. It works every time for me, so it should for you.

Crone

Void Void

So a few things from your post that I picked out that I'll start doing, that may fix my little quirks and problems.

When I download a torrent manually from IPT, I have it open straight in Deluge. I don't let it download to a directory, and have Deluge set to watch that Directory. From what you are saying, this is a key step in the communication Deluge has with Sonarr, so that might fix some of those problems.

As for the Drone Folder, it's obsolete, because the completed download handler, which is the name given to the process in the Logs, is supposed to take care of all of this. The Drone folder shouldn't be necessary. I'm reading this on the Sonarr help forums in numerous posts where people were having problems. However, I have it pointed to a folder on my drive where all my Usenet files end up, so that works just as well. It is true that there have been issues resolved by people pointing the drone folder to just some random, unused folder they created, and it fixed problems they were having. So this is fine that it's set to something.

The issues I was having is that I'd manually get a torrent from IPT, send it to Deluge, it'd start downloading, and do it's whole thing, but then under the Activity tab, it'd be telling me that it couldn't find a whole season of shows that it just parsed and moved for me? This is what was happening with Portlandia specifically. This was fixed by re-downloading the entire torrent into my Downloads folder, and letting it parse it again. According to the logs the only thing that it did was delete the files since they already existed from having gotten them previously, but it cleared it out of the activity tab.

Just checked, it's doing the same thing for some more shows. Screenshots attached. All of the shows are just chilling there in my Downloads folder, and says it can't find them. Does this constantly.
sonarr.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Crone Crone

Something is set up wrong, but without seeing all of your settings I don't know what it could be. I checked some of the ones I've downloaded straight from IPT, thinking perhaps it needed to have a "sent to torrent client" entry for it to know to look for it, but that isn't it because I don't have them either. Which would mean that my suggestion of making sure you let Deluge pick it up from the .torrent folder is superfluous and unnecessary.

I'm assuming those aren't in rar files? Your screenshot has the Compressed Folder Tools highlighted is all, but that might simply be because you selected a rar file further down the list, but just making sure. I know that mine doesn't locate them until they are extracted when I get them from IPT.

Here, I just did the same thing with an episode of Tosh.0 that Sonarr is expecting to get, but isn't on BTN yet. I grabbed it from IPT and sent it directly to my torrent client (not via the directory like I suggested before). This is a screenshot after it downloaded fully to my computer, but before Sonarr had moved it.
Sonarr Queue.jpg

A few seconds later it was gone and is now in my History tab, and is in the correct location in the Tosh folder for viewing.

Now, I don't use hard links, so it is possible your problem lies somewhere in there, but I literally just did exactly what you want to do, and it worked fine. So something isn't set up properly on your end. I don't know what it could be without seeing everything on your end, but at least maybe this will give you hope to keep looking.

As an aside, what are the little person-shaped icons to the far right of your pic? I don't have those, so I'm wondering if those might contain a clue.

Crone

Void Void

Those are buttons that let you manually import it, however it doesn't let you choose a folder, it just says can't find it. So I'm not sure what the button is there for. I assume it means that you could copy or get the file from somewhere else, and then click that button and it'd pick it up.

I do have Hard links turned on, and I'm doing this across 2 different hard drives, but the same file system NTFS is on both. Maybe I should turn off Hardlinks and see if that'll make a difference. I don't know. :(

This is what it shows in the Younger season, for that episode that it got. So it for sure is 100%, that is accurate. An extractor plugin for Deluge has extracted the file to the same downloads folder that the torrent was downloaded too, but it's just not parsing the files.

Edit: So what I just did was change the Extractor plugin to extract the torrent files to the same spot Usenets puts files, and also where my Drone Factory folder is set too, instead of having them extract to the downloads folder. Maybe this will make a difference?

Edit2: So I just did that, and then copied all those episodes to the Drone folder, and re-scanned the drone folder, which is an option under the Wanted tab, and they all went away. So maybe having the extractor send the extracted files over there is the best way to handle this.

sonarr.jpg

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
When you say you are using an extractor plugin, is it making a duplicate file, or is there an existing folder (IPT likes to use individual folders that contain the file or the rar files) and your extractor is pulling it out? Sometimes that 100% shows even when it is just the directory, the file hasn't even been created yet. Sonarr just sees the exact name it is looking for (minus the file extension) so it thinks it is complete, but it really isn't.

If there is a directory still existing with the same name, with or without rar files, that might be screwing it up. I really can't say without every detail of every step, which might not be worth the time if you think you have it sorted out already. I'd love to be more helpful, but I can only guess at this point. If it keeps misbehaving the only thing I can suggest is screenshot every single setting and activity screen and every drive/directory being referenced in those settings.

But I'd probably hold off on that if you think it works ok.

Crone

When you say you are using an extractor plugin, is it making a duplicate file, or is there an existing folder (IPT likes to use individual folders that contain the file or the rar files) and your extractor is pulling it out? Sometimes that 100% shows even when it is just the directory, the file hasn't even been created yet. Sonarr just sees the exact name it is looking for (minus the file extension) so it thinks it is complete, but it really isn't.

If there is a directory still existing with the same name, with or without rar files, that might be screwing it up. I really can't say without every detail of every step, which might not be worth the time if you think you have it sorted out already. I'd love to be more helpful, but I can only guess at this point. If it keeps misbehaving the only thing I can suggest is screenshot every single setting and activity screen and every drive/directory being referenced in those settings.

But I'd probably hold off on that if you think it works ok.
You know that's probably it. The extractor plugin for Deluge just processes the .rar files that the torrent comes in, and those are always in a seperate folder. So the .rar's from IPT are getting auto-extracted into the same directory so there is the IPT folder + the .mkv or whatever type of file with the same name now in the same Downloads folder and Sonarr can't tell the difference.

Setting the extractor plugin to extract to the Drone Folder seems to be working though for it. Just watched it grab a show off of IPT, and everything seemed to work fine. I'll cross my fingers that it'll be fine for a while now.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You know that's probably it. The extractor plugin for Deluge just processes the .rar files that the torrent comes in, and those are always in a seperate folder. So the .rar's from IPT are getting auto-extracted into the same directory so there is the IPT folder + the .mkv or whatever type of file with the same name now in the same Downloads folder and Sonarr can't tell the difference.

Setting the extractor plugin to extract to the Drone Folder seems to be working though for it. Just watched it grab a show off of IPT, and everything seemed to work fine. I'll cross my fingers that it'll be fine for a while now.

Yeah, I would bet that having that directory there is fucking it up. When I download from IPT and have to unrar, I just do it inside the directory it came in, and Sonarr looks inside it, finds it and moves it, and then deletes the folder. It also works exactly the same if the file isn't a rar, it looks inside and finds it, moves it, deletes folder. If you have both outside, that's probably why it isn't working, it keeps checking inside the folder. Can you have that plugin simply extract it within the folder? Or does that screw things up with hardlinks and seeding?

Crone

Yeah, I would bet that having that directory there is fucking it up. When I download from IPT and have to unrar, I just do it inside the directory it came in, and Sonarr looks inside it, finds it and moves it, and then deletes the folder. It also works exactly the same if the file isn't a rar, it looks inside and finds it, moves it, deletes folder. If you have both outside, that's probably why it isn't working, it keeps checking inside the folder. Can you have that plugin simply extract it within the folder? Or does that screw things up with hardlinks and seeding?
Can't have it extract to the folder because it only allows you to specify an exact folder to extract things too. It seems to be working really well to extract to the drone factory folder and Sonarr is picking it up that way so I'll stick with that.

I think we have it all worked out. Mainly the only issue was some growing pains with getting some shows added and downloaded. The issues were all related to shows I had just added, and it was trying to get older episodes.

Probably why the whole thing has been pretty frustrating is because the whole reason I switched was because I got tired of friends requesting older shows/episodes, and Usenets failing horribly to get any of them. Then I switch, and torrents are having a horrible time parsing and working with the older shows I'm trying to her. Lol!

Thanks a lot Void for your help. I appreciate talking it out with me to get it to work.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Void Void

I built a VM Linux Mint instance and followed a guide to load it up with:

Plex Media Server
Deluge
PlexPy
CouchPatato
Sonarr
PlexRequests.NET

Do you still use Whatbox? If so, do you have this all integrated with that?

I'm still horribly new with Linux, so I have to get my NAS drives mounted still.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Void Void

I built a VM Linux Mint instance and followed a guide to load it up with:

Plex Media Server
Deluge
PlexPy
CouchPatato
Sonarr
PlexRequests.NET

Do you still use Whatbox? If so, do you have this all integrated with that?

I'm still horribly new with Linux, so I have to get my NAS drives mounted still.
I do use Whatbox still, but don't use most of that stuff yet except for Sonarr. Somewhere many pages back, assuming all the pics got migrated over from RR, is an outline of my setup, but essentially I use Sonarr and Dropbox on my home computer to interact with rTorrent and Dropbox on the Whatbox. It isn't perfect, but it works for what I want it to do.

However, I'm looking into doing something similar to what a_skeleton_03 did with a server and hope to eventually get that set up with Sonarr and Dropbox, and Plex and its addons. I'll probably never use CouchPotato as I prefer to download my own choices for quality in movies, and I don't do enough of them where it is a huge hassle to just do it manually.

I have no idea how I'll set it up yet though, as I don't know shit about Linux beyond what the Whatbox tutorials showed. But I'm sure I'll figure it out with help eventually.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Any recommendations on reasonably priced Kodi boxes?

I see there are some cheap raspberry pi 3 options

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Void Void

Thanks for responding. I'll reread the last few pages and see what i can figure out.

The biggest issue is just learning Linux at this point. I'm sure the method exists and its fairly easy.