Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Teehee

Speedtest.jpg

zPrUTBE.gif

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The Fire Stick mod he's talking about is Exodus, you just install it on anything that plays KODI (easy to google, not going to bother explaining it), and it aggregates a bunch of different streaming sites for stuff like movies. So two days after a movie is released in theaters you might be able to see the same cam version you can download from torrent sites on there, but it doesn't magically give you a perfect copy until other people have perfect copies.

I bought 4 $40 Android TV boxes, loaded them with Kodi + Exodus and gave them out as presents. All the feedback I got was "I am cancelling my cable now". Exodus really made Kodi painless compared to some of the other older Add-Ons. (pairing to some hosts is the only slowdown)

Surprisingly the legit PBS Add-On is powerful and content rich. I watched 4 yrs of FRONTLINE over the past month.

The hardware in the boxes is quite a bit more buff than whats in a FireStick. And makes for a better experience IMO. Only unknown is the longevity of the gear. Time will tell.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'm looking for one that can boot a clean Openelec build (so you don't have to use their shitty android). The problem is all the supported ones are in the 80-120$ range.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking for one that can boot a clean Openelec build (so you don't have to use their shitty android). The problem is all the supported ones are in the 80-120$ range.

You can run Openelec on a Raspberry Pi last I knew, and that has less horsepower. There has to be a way to format those Droid boxes and wipe the OS for an over write.

edit:

Forums - FreakTab.com

Last edited:

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'm already running Openelec on a rPi3 but it can't handle x265 stuff properly and it kinda bugs me (most of anime releases these days are in that format). I'll check out that forum, thanks for the link.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I'm already running Openelec on a rPi3 but it can't handle x265 stuff properly and it kinda bugs me (most of anime releases these days are in that format). I'll check out that forum, thanks for the link.

I didn't dive deep into that rabbit hole, so let me know what you figure out. I would love to run OpenElec on a box.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It is quite a bit more expensive, but I fucking love my nVidia Shield now. I prefer it to my HTPC even, the only thing that does that the Shield doesn't is web browsing, but I also haven't looked very hard for a way to do that, so there might be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I've been looking for a cheap shield for a while now but I can't justify the 200+$ prices around here.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Nvidia is releasing an updated version of the shield at CES, so prices for current stock might go down. I have two shields and they are great, though I hope they get an update to nougat.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I added a couple of the private free channels for Roku, and there is zero reason I need cable again. I have every single show I would want. Pissed I didn't do this long ago. My mother loves it because all those old 70's and 80's shows are there. Damn near every episode you can think of.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I added a couple of the private free channels for Roku, and there is zero reason I need cable again. I have every single show I would want. Pissed I didn't do this long ago. My mother loves it because all those old 70's and 80's shows are there. Damn near every episode you can think of.
really? can you even get NFL games? how is the quality?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The free private channels XTV and TubitTV have ABC CBS and NBC. So whatever is on those channels for games. Quality is OK to good. Not great. Plus ESPN on Sling TV. Sling TV is great quality up to 4K.

I should mention that NFL network came back with some BS disclaimer that they could not show the game for whatever reason.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I may have look into that. I just moved out of the city and my antenna I used for nfl isnt picking anything up. It is either that or climb up on the roof and attach a big one to an old dish installation. Are any indoor antennas worth a shit at 50ish mile range?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Antennaweb.org should be able to give you some recommendations.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The one and only reason I haven't ditched cable is because of the NFL season. Even though I use MMA-TV to stream Red Zone and such, it is far from 100% reliable, and I hate having to constantly switch channels/servers to get a solid stream.

I think this offseason I am just going to bite the bullet though. I literally never watch regular cable anymore.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The one and only reason I haven't ditched cable is because of the NFL season. Even though I use MMA-TV to stream Red Zone and such, it is far from 100% reliable, and I hate having to constantly switch channels/servers to get a solid stream.

I think this offseason I am just going to bite the bullet though. I literally never watch regular cable anymore.

MMA-TV rarely disappoints. I think out of all the Warriors/Reds/A's games I'll watch in a given year maybe only six won't be available. Greatest subscription I've ever had without a doubt. With that, HBO through Amazon Prime, and Netflix I have no desire for any other services.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I tried, but couldn't get through week 1 without Sunday Ticket, we paid for it on mom's account and used the digital access (wife could use the app on a console and I could stream from their website).