Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
DirectTV Now just gave me a year of HBO for free. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
back in January they were easy to get a hold of and cost almost nothing. only going to get harder as time goes on.

U Unidin i believe Nickelodean is a Viacom channel. DirecTV Now is the only over the top that offers them.

Yeah, I'm aware. Viacom is going all in on just being on cable. I wouldn't be surprised to see their channels drop off of DTVnow at some point.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yeah, I'm aware. Viacom is going all in on just being on cable. I wouldn't be surprised to see their channels drop off of DTVnow at some point.
I would be surprised if they let that happen since DTV Now's content domination is easily its best feature and they are lagging sorely behind in terms of DVR and other features. DirecTV/AT&T probably has the most negotiating power when it comes to making these deals work among the over the top services.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So far for me the DirectTV now service has been pretty shitty. Half the time when I am trying to navigate on the screen, nothing happens at all, and other times when you select something to watch you get an error saying it couldn't load. Now, it could be because I am using the Fire TV (which is a piece of shit BTW) to use it, but I really have no way of knowing at this point. I am not going to open the Apple TV that I got with the service just to test, because I am planning on just selling that. I have 3 Roku's in the house that I plan to use it with whenever they get around to launching that app.

Hopefully it is just growing pains and it will get better with time.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
So far for me the DirectTV now service has been pretty shitty. Half the time when I am trying to navigate on the screen, nothing happens at all, and other times when you select something to watch you get an error saying it couldn't load. Now, it could be because I am using the Fire TV (which is a piece of shit BTW) to use it, but I really have no way of knowing at this point. I am not going to open the Apple TV that I got with the service just to test, because I am planning on just selling that. I have 3 Roku's in the house that I plan to use it with whenever they get around to launching that app.

Hopefully it is just growing pains and it will get better with time.

Fire TV box or stick? I run it on both and the Box runs everything I throw at it like a champ. The sticks - well I have 2 generations of those. The older one sucks shit and is a real drag to do anything with. The newer one is almost as fast as the box.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Fire TV box or stick? I run it on both and the Box runs everything I throw at it like a champ. The sticks - well I have 2 generations of those. The older one sucks shit and is a real drag to do anything with. The newer one is almost as fast as the box.
It's the Fire TV box, not the stick. I had a ton of issues with it so I finally gave up and ordered another Roku to replace it.

For instance, when I would turn on the TV and flip over to the Fire, it would be asleep and wouldn't wake up. I could hit the voice search button and hear it respond, but nothing would show up on TV. I would have to actually unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. Also, sometimes when trying to stream from my Plex server, it would play a totally random show versus the one that I had picked, and often times I would have to reboot it to get it to start working properly again.

None of that is to say that is the issue with Direct TV now, but I figured it is possible.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
It's the Fire TV box, not the stick. I had a ton of issues with it so I finally gave up and ordered another Roku to replace it.

For instance, when I would turn on the TV and flip over to the Fire, it would be asleep and wouldn't wake up. I could hit the voice search button and hear it respond, but nothing would show up on TV. I would have to actually unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. Also, sometimes when trying to stream from my Plex server, it would play a totally random show versus the one that I had picked, and often times I would have to reboot it to get it to start working properly again.

None of that is to say that is the issue with Direct TV now, but I figured it is possible.
I have Fire TV and my only real complaint about the DTV Now is that scrolling the guide is all fucked, possibly because the FTV remote is a total piece of shit.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I have Fire TV and my only real complaint about the DTV Now is that scrolling the guide is all fucked, possibly because the FTV remote is a total piece of shit.
Yes that was definitely part of it. At times it simply would not respond at all, and again I wasn't sure if it was DTV or the Fire TV. But I also got an error on loading channels several times.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I have a new-er (the one with Alexa enabled) firetv stick and a 4th gen apple tv. In terms of viewing experience Apple TV> Stick > Web browser.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
DirecTV Now giving free HBO to all current customers to the next year, as if the $35 go big bundle wasn't already sweet enough. Also worth mentioning that channel quality has gone way up lately and they seem to have been updating on demand a lot more frequently. Once they got their shit together with the DVR we'll be living th dream over here.
My only complaint with them is they still don't have Roku support. Other than that they have been pretty good. Had a one or two day period where I lost like half of the channels but that's been it

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I'm giving DirectTV Now until my 3 month pre-paid subscription is up to add Roku support. If they don't have it by then I will hop off and wait to see how the YouTube one comes along.

Seems pretty lame that they only have Chromecast support for it to start, but I am sure that will change soon. I really like that they are also offering local broadcast channels.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm giving DirectTV Now until my 3 month pre-paid subscription is up to add Roku support. If they don't have it by then I will hop off and wait to see how the YouTube one comes along.

Seems pretty lame that they only have Chromecast support for it to start, but I am sure that will change soon. I really like that they are also offering local broadcast channels.
yeah the YouTube offering is tempting, DTVN needs to get their shit together and add DVR.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If YouTubeTV has a Roku app, I'd buy it right now, despite not having it in my region (fuck, Chicago is close enough).

Ryanz

<Banned>
It's weird hearing complaints about Fire TV as opposed to Roku. The situation is reversed for me. I love the Fire TV, and despise the Roku. Roku's twitch app is complete garbage. I can't search for someone or watch previous broadcast's unless they are currently online. It's like they ditched updating the app or something, which is strange seeing how popular Twitch is. Only complaint with the Fire TV is the remote like others have already pointed out.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It's weird hearing complaints about Fire TV as opposed to Roku. The situation is reversed for me. I love the Fire TV, and despise the Roku. Roku's twitch app is complete garbage. I can't search for someone or watch previous broadcast's unless they are currently online. It's like they ditched updating the app or something, which is strange seeing how popular Twitch is. Only complaint with the Fire TV is the remote like others have already pointed out.
Well that to me sounds more like the Twitch app within Roku, rather than Roku itself.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Yea you're right. Not sure why the app is so shit on Roku, and....oh wait... twitch is owned by amazon...now I'm starting to understand. I didn't even think of this until now. Why would they update an app for a competitors product that is in direct competition with theirs. Okay now I get it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yea you're right. Not sure why the app is so shit on Roku, and....oh wait... twitch is owned by amazon...now I'm starting to understand. I didn't even think of this until now. Why would they update an app for a competitors product that is in direct competition with theirs. Okay now I get it.
Wait, is this seriously stream of consciousness posting or are you being sarcastic?

Ryanz

<Banned>
Stream of consciousness. As I was writing it occurred to me that twitch is indeed now owned by Amazon. I just always perceive twitch as its own entity.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users