Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I have it too. Got in with the prepay for 3 mos and get a free Apple TV. The channel selection is by far the best, but no DVR makes me sad. It also isn't on the Roku yet, so I have to move around a Chromecast to cover all the TVs.
Yeah no DVR at the moment sucks but they have to add it in soon if they want to be competitive in the market. I look at it as an investment, lock in the $35/mo now and 6 months from now I should have an over the top cable plan that blows away everything available on the market.the way I see it, DirecTV knows the days are numbered for the satellite TV biz and needs this to succeed if they are going to continue operations. DirecTV historically has also given a lot more mind to picture and audio quality than cable providers so that's anothernpoint in their favor. I have a Vue free trial at the moment and I'm very underwhelmed by the picture quality.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Directtv now; only got it since someone else in my houses watches the warriors play I can care less about basketball

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Yeah no DVR at the moment sucks but they have to add it in soon if they want to be competitive in the market. I look at it as an investment, lock in the $35/mo now and 6 months from now I should have an over the top cable plan that blows away everything available on the market.the way I see it, DirecTV knows the days are numbered for the satellite TV biz and needs this to succeed if they are going to continue operations. DirecTV historically has also given a lot more mind to picture and audio quality than cable providers so that's anothernpoint in their favor. I have a Vue free trial at the moment and I'm very underwhelmed by the picture quality.

I hope so. I cancelled for now. My 3 months is up in the middle of March, so if more features are on the way by then, I'll re-up.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I just got DirecTV now. If anyone is using it on a FireTV or Fire Stick, you have to change the audio settings and turn Dolby off or almost all of your channels will play nothing but loud clicking. Prior to finding that shit out, I was about to just cancel it.

I have 300mbps internet and it work flawlessly on live TV. I pretty much constantly have it going on 2 TVs and haven't encountered any buffering or audio lag or anything that the usual complaints are about. Slow menus and channel changing does kinda suck, but it's more than tolerable for the price.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I actually really want to jump on this to lock in the price. I get pretty much everything via torrents right now, and it works great. Obviously the only thing I lack is live programming like sports and the local news. It seems, however, that you only get local stations if they are owned by the networks themselves. Fox, ABC, and NBC here are not, I just checked, and currently CBS isn't included at all in the service, so that's all of them I'd be missing. If I don't get those, buying this is truly just a "hope for the future" kind of thing. Not that $35 is a bank breaker, but still. And the free AppleTV promotion is worthless to me as well.

Of course, the exclusive Taylor Swift programming might just be worth it!

I think I will have to hold off for now, but this and Vue are exactly what I want from TV in the future. I just definitely need local channels and DVR. It is promising that they are starting to offer more and more of this stuff though.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Well, I finally did it. Got sick of paying a 200 a month cable bill and watching nearly nothing. Subscribed to Sling Orange + Blue and got a 30 dollar HD antenna and it is working great. Wish Vue had the Gameshow Network so I could switch to them but them is the breaks. I can't see going back to normal cable after this.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Well, I finally did it. Got sick of paying a 200 a month cable bill and watching nearly nothing. Subscribed to Sling Orange + Blue and got a 30 dollar HD antenna and it is working great. Wish Vue had the Gameshow Network so I could switch to them but them is the breaks. I can't see going back to normal cable after this.
Sling is a terrible value. For the $40 a month you're paying Sling you could have DirecTV Now package with 100 channels plus HBO

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So every TV now has an HD antenna. Every TV (3) now has a 2016 Roku stick. I subscribe to Hulu 12 bucks. RCN cable @ 330/25 runs me 65 bucks. Usenet runs me 7 bucks. Took the fam literally like 2 days to adjust, and they love it. Everything I need for under 90 bucks.

I did have to buy a new router and purchased a D3 modem.

I spent 425 bucks getting everything the way I wanted. In less than six months I will be saving about 120 bucks a month. Not bad.

Amazon.com: HDTV Indoor Antenna for High Reception Homeworx Antenna HD Antenna 50 Miles Range Digtial TV Antenna, TV High Reception Best Indoor Antenna for TV with 13ft Cable: Home Audio & Theater

RCN Boston | High Speed Internet, Digital Cable TV & Phone Service Provider

Amazon.com: Roku Streaming Stick (3600R) (2016 Model): Electronics

Amazon.com: D-Link AC3150 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Ultra WiFi Router with MU-MIMO and 1.4GHz Dual Core Processor (DIR-885L/R): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 16x4 Cable Modem (CM3016): Computers & Accessories

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a Vue free trial at the moment and I'm very underwhelmed by the picture quality.

Well fuck. I just canceled my DirectTV (satellite) this morning mainly due to a co-worker having good experiences with SlingTV, but PlayStation Vue has a much better channel lineup that works for me and the family. Were you judging the picture quality on whatever you had before?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Well fuck. I just canceled my DirectTV (satellite) this morning mainly due to a co-worker having good experiences with SlingTV, but PlayStation Vue has a much better channel lineup that works for me and the family. Were you judging the picture quality on whatever you had before?
I did a free trial of both DirecTV Now and Vue and was able to determine that DTV Now had both considerably better picture and much better value (more channels for less) at that point in time. However, in recent weeks DTVN downgraded their channel quality to an abysmal level and it remains to be seen if they get it back to what it was.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
DTVN also has the worst on demand and no dvr. If you're looking for live TV, it's not bad, but Vue is going to be the best if you want to timeshift things.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone know of any free usenet indexers?

Currently using Tweaknews and I'm happy with it, but I think I need a secondary one for stuff that gets DMCA'd. It's been a growing problem lately, especially for movies, for anything over about 6 months old.

I could obviously pay for a 2nd one (and they're pretty cheap), but it seems like an unnecessary expense for those rare occasions.