Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
This is great, the more competition the better. Big downside to this though is that it looks like there won't be any app support and everything with have to be Chromecasted from Phone.

Agreed on the competition. I'm sure they will have app support eventually.

It's also not clear if you are still going to have commercials. Maybe you will have to have Youtube Red to get rid of those. Another $10 a month. Sounds like google.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Also worth pointing out that since Verizon has a lock on mobile NFL streaming and since this service requires you to cast from your phone to TV, you won't be able to watch any NFL on your TV with this, at least as it currently stands.

Well they're calling it "live" tv, so you should still be able to watch games that are on the networks?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone know of any free usenet indexers?

Currently using Tweaknews and I'm happy with it, but I think I need a secondary one for stuff that gets DMCA'd. It's been a growing problem lately, especially for movies, for anything over about 6 months old.

I could obviously pay for a 2nd one (and they're pretty cheap), but it seems like an unnecessary expense for those rare occasions.
Don't all indexes have issues with anything over a couple days old? If I don't get something immediately, there's a huge chance it won't be available.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
From what I've read, with DMCA's, they just dump a couple pieces each, but each indexer seems to do random ones. That way it's "gone." The way around that is to use two indexers because they'll likely have different missing pieces, so you can still end up with the entire file.

Dunno how legit that is, though.

Crone

From what I've read, with DMCA's, they just dump a couple pieces each, but each indexer seems to do random ones. That way it's "gone." The way around that is to use two indexers because they'll likely have different missing pieces, so you can still end up with the entire file.

Dunno how legit that is, though.
I had a block account for a while that I had setup to tap into the EU servers, instead of US. It would work sometimes, but for the most part it wouldn't work. I assumed it was because it was taken down from both spots.

I recently setup Sonarr with torrents, and I'm not a huge fan of having so many seeds going all the time. I wish I could find an option that didn't get DMCA'ed so much, but I don't think it's possible.

Crone

Just got an invite to Plex Cloud Beta. No idea why I would use it. I assume this is so you can host a Plex server in the cloud, rather than on a machine, but that seems risky? Does Google Drive or Dropbox give a shit about hosting a ton of illegal content?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Just got an invite to Plex Cloud Beta. No idea why I would use it. I assume this is so you can host a Plex server in the cloud, rather than on a machine, but that seems risky? Does Google Drive or Dropbox give a shit about hosting a ton of illegal content?
I got one as well. Honestly even if it worked as well as my server at home, the cost of paying for Cloud storage with one of those would end up being pretty expensive for anyone with a decent library. It just doesn't make much sense for my uses.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
DirecTV Now giving free HBO to all current customers to the next year, as if the $35 go big bundle wasn't already sweet enough. Also worth mentioning that channel quality has gone way up lately and they seem to have been updating on demand a lot more frequently. Once they got their shit together with the DVR we'll be living th dream over here.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone know a good way to get current Disney/Nickelodeon shows via streaming without a cable package? Is there an amazon channel I can buy or a roku stream or something?

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Sling Orange package has Disney channel and is $20/mo. For both of them, Directvnow has both but will run you closer to $50/mo.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Sling Orange package has Disney channel and is $20/mo. For both of them, Directvnow has both but will run you closer to $50/mo.
$35/mo if you are grandfathered in the Go Big package plus 100 other channels and free HBO

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
$35/mo if you are grandfathered in the Go Big package plus 100 other channels and free HBO

Which you have to find someone to transfer their package to you to get and can be rescinded at any point AT&T feels like it.

It is clearly a much better deal than any other offered, but it takes more work then most of us want to put in.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Which you have to find someone to transfer their package to you to get and can be rescinded at any point AT&T feels like it.

It is clearly a much better deal than any other offered, but it takes more work then most of us want to put in.
back in January they were easy to get a hold of and cost almost nothing. only going to get harder as time goes on.

U Unidin i believe Nickelodean is a Viacom channel. DirecTV Now is the only over the top that offers them.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Pulled the trigger on Direct TV Now. I personally don't need any of it, but I do need something for my mom and mother in law to watch when they come over to watch the kids. They both pretty much require HGTV, Lifetime, Hallmark, and of course Fox News.

$35 a month is easy enough for all the channels you get. I am hoping they get their Roku app soon, cause I have 3 Roku's in my house. I am going to have to plug in the old Fire TV until they get it working, but that is fine for now. Also if you sign up now and pre-pay for 3 months, they send you a free Apple TV. So assuming they get the Roku app working soon, I will just leave the Apple TV in the box and sell it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
DirecTV Now giving free HBO to all current customers to the next year, as if the $35 go big bundle wasn't already sweet enough. Also worth mentioning that channel quality has gone way up lately and they seem to have been updating on demand a lot more frequently. Once they got their shit together with the DVR we'll be living th dream over here.
They still charge $5 for HD? That was one of the biggest jokes for a television provider that I've ever seen.

I've been without for 3 years now and I don't miss it one bit. Usenet for TV/movies, Netflix for "I don't give a shit" TV (which used to be Food Network or HGTV), and over the air for locals.

I was streaming sports stuff for a while, but I've found I actually don't care much about the NFL anymore, and the NHL usually has awesome streams for some reason but I don't care enough to watch 80+ games.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
They still charge $5 for HD? That was one of the biggest jokes for a television provider that I've ever seen.

I've been without for 3 years now and I don't miss it one bit. Usenet for TV/movies, Netflix for "I don't give a shit" TV (which used to be Food Network or HGTV), and over the air for locals.

I was streaming sports stuff for a while, but I've found I actually don't care much about the NFL anymore, and the NHL usually has awesome streams for some reason but I don't care enough to watch 80+ games.
I think you're thinking of regular satellite DirecTV, rather than DirecTV Now. DTV Now does not charge for HD though that's a pretty common bullshit addon charge that cable companies throw in.