Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Hmmm, this might be a good place to ask. What is a good, secure way for me to remotely control my HTPC (I'd only control it from computers at my house)? I used to use TeamViewer with LAN Connection only but I got pretty f'n spooked after TeamViewer got raped earlier in the year.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Go to www.plex.tv and sign up then message me your username for a glimpse of the wonders.

Later on I will do a huge write up on automating everything into Plex as a front end for anyone to be a Netflix for their family or just themselves.

This is literally why I own a $2k server on a gigabit link.

I did this a few years back on the recommendation of someone here. It's been absolutely amazing, and I use it daily.

Edit: On that topic, what's a good newsgroup indexer these days? The ones I've been using are shit and return mostly incomplete/broken downloads if they even find stuff that really ought to be there.

Last edited:

jeydax

Death and Taxes
a_skeleton_03 I'm interested in expanding my home server. Can you give the details of yours? Specs? Recommendations?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
o_O yours rapes mine on everything but harddrive space. I'm just running an i5-somethingsomethingSkylake with about 40 TB and 16 GB RAM. I want to utilize it better. Right now I virtually only use it for Plex.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
o_O yours rapes mine on everything but harddrive space. I'm just running an i5-somethingsomethingSkylake with about 40 TB and 16 GB RAM. I want to utilize it better. Right now I virtually only use it for Plex.
So here are the thing I run that you can also.

Plex
PlexPy
PlexRequests
Sonarr
CouchPotato
rTorrent
Calibre
Guacamole
Owncloud

Using nginx for the webserver.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
No it's cool no hostility, all Amazon can do is break kodi on their platform and kill their platform in the process technically speaking and figuratively when everyone uses one of the other 10+ methods that doesn't include giving amazon $40-$100.

You need to block your Fire TV from Amazon OS updates. Do a search on YouTube. My Fire TV 2 is running 5.0.5 permanently, which means it's still rootable if need be and they can't fuck with Kodi. Sure, there are ways around Amazon's antics, but why bother with the hassle? Their OS upgrades add no value to someone using the device for Kodi streaming.

What is this plex server you are talking about, I know nothing about that and now I'm curious.

Plex is just a central server where you build up a collection of your favorite media and then stream it to every device you own. If you need to stream on multiple devices and enjoy building a library, it's pretty great. If you just want to watch TV and movies, you will find it useless compared to Kodi/Exodus.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Anyone using an Nvidia Shield for Plex/Netflix/etc? I'm thinking about picking one up, more specifically for Plex but I have a few other uses for it as well. Surprisingly, I've been able to get by just using my Samsung TV's built in app for Plex but it shits out on any "4k" content.

Someone asked about mmatv, it is a good value imo.

I have two shields and a nexus player. Highly recommend the shield.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Got an email from Hulu yesterday, it seems they are moving to subscription only on the 23rd.
Yep. This was a long time coming. I'm surprised they stayed ad-supported as long as they did while simultaneously trying to bring All The Content to compete with Netflix/Amazon/whatever.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am looking for a more reliable sports streaming suggestion. Currently using Kodi (on dedicated HTPC) with SportsDevil steaming add-on. My issue is shitty stream qualities and lots of dead links or links with audio but a screensaver or crisp clear HD picture but no audio. I am almost to the point I would pay for dedicated HD streaming for sports.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Plex is just a central server where you build up a collection of your favorite media and then stream it to every device you own. If you need to stream on multiple devices and enjoy building a library, it's pretty great. If you just want to watch TV and movies, you will find it useless compared to Kodi/Exodus.

I just brought an old server out of storage and lit up a Plex server to mess around in. I enjoy collecting things for whatever reason so I'm building up a library right now. It's almost time for storage expansion already but I need to look into the stuff a_skeleton_03 linked.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Setting up my Shield now. I haven't bought a toy in a while... Giddy for it.

Edit: OOoookkkaayyy... Now I'm kicking myself for not getting one of these months ago. I'm very happy I got it.

Last edited:

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
So I set up Firefox as an external app in steam so I can stream it to my steam link and watch YouTube videos at 1.5x speed.

Chromecast can't do that. Chrome browser plug in can't do that.

Is this really the best option for watching this accelerated?

a_skeleton_03 is your server at a datacenter?

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I don't know where to place this so its going in both cord cutter and service provider thread...

I've had PS Vue for a month now ($39.99 package) and I have to say I like the service. The menus are great on the PS4 although they lag on the PS3. I haven't tried it on anything else. It has all the kid channels I was looking for at the lowest price. The Disney owned channels are wonky at times but this is a know issue not just with PS Vue. Its streaming so every once in a while you get hiccups but nothing to serious yet.

Latest updates with the service
1. PS Vue just added HBO and Skinemax. PS Vue: HBO, Cinemax, New Ultra Plan Arrive Today $15 each and works with HBO Now.
2. A few months ago they added the NFL Network and the NFL Redzone.

I haven't tried either service.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Vue is pretty awesome. Did the free trial for a week and really enjoyed the service. Only a couple of little quirks but overall it is excellent. I have a killer thing going on right now with Directv so it isn't worth me switching to Vue a the moment. If that changes, I'd switch in a heartbeat.