Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Hmmm, this might be a good place to ask. What is a good, secure way for me to remotely control my HTPC (I'd only control it from computers at my house)? I used to use TeamViewer with LAN Connection only but I got pretty f'n spooked after TeamViewer got raped earlier in the year.

I use the chrome extension from google for remote desktop. Works great.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been a few years since I tried Usenet/Newsgroups, stopped after NZBMatrix shut down and there were no suitable replacements. But, there's quite a few reliable indexers out now, so tried it again. Tonight was the trial - 11 shows to record (automatically snatched with Sonarr). Every single show downloaded at 1080p within 30 minutes of it airing. So pretty successful.

So Usenet with Netflix and Amazon Prime...I think I'm finally ready to cancel my cable. Only big impact will be losing access to live boxing...but there's usually ways to access streams for free or cheap.

$8 for primary Provider. $15 probably once for 500GB backup provider. And probably $20~ for quality indexers access. Beats a $100+ cable bill.

Bullock

Molten Core Raider
What indexer do you use? I stopped Newsgrouping and went back to torrents after getting tons of stuff with missing pieces.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Indexer and provider information inside:

I use altHUB and Chica NZBs as primary indexers. I also use FileSharing Talk and NZBClub for one off, manual searching. For providers, I still use Astraweb with the $11/2 month deal and then UsenetBucket (NL servers) 4.95 euro/month plan as a fill. After reviewing my fill traffic, i'm probably going to drop down to the 2.95 euro/month plan to save money since it isn't used that much.

I mostly use newsgroups for grabbing lots of regular TV series and a couple movies a month. I manually grab movies these days since Couchpotato sucks ass and does automatically move and rename files any longer. God damn I wish there was a good replacement for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Killswitch

N00b
I been using Kodi setups for the past year but my nephew is saying they are working on eliminating this very soon. Not sure how true this is but has anyone heard anything about it?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I been using Kodi setups for the past year but my nephew is saying they are working on eliminating this very soon. Not sure how true this is but has anyone heard anything about it?

What does this mean? Kodi is just an OS. Are you talking about using Exodus with Kodi? Exodus is just a scrapper that consolidates streaming sites in to a UI. It'll go through like 30+ of them, so unless they're going to shut down every streaming site on the net I can't see anything changing.

Bullock

Molten Core Raider

In the UK they are working on stopping Kodi sticks being sold pre setup (sold openly on ebay etc), and they already get the ISPs to block a ton of torrent sites so will probably go after the streaming sites next.

It'll stop a percentage of casual users but wont do much in reality.

Killswitch

N00b
What does this mean? Kodi is just an OS. Are you talking about using Exodus with Kodi? Exodus is just a scrapper that consolidates streaming sites in to a UI. It'll go through like 30+ of them, so unless they're going to shut down every streaming site on the net I can't see anything changing.

Yea sorry using addons like Exodus. He said something about new layer security they have going on that will detect streams. My response was Im sure it will be hacked within hours of release. I will text him and see if I can grab a screen of what he was saying to validate. I did my best google fu but nothing really shows up concerning that. So he might be just talking out of his ass too.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Indexer and provider information inside:

I use altHUB and Chica NZBs as primary indexers. I also use FileSharing Talk and NZBClub for one off, manual searching. For providers, I still use Astraweb with the $11/2 month deal and then UsenetBucket (NL servers) 4.95 euro/month plan as a fill. After reviewing my fill traffic, i'm probably going to drop down to the 2.95 euro/month plan to save money since it isn't used that much.

I mostly use newsgroups for grabbing lots of regular TV series and a couple movies a month. I manually grab movies these days since Couchpotato sucks ass and does automatically move and rename files any longer. God damn I wish there was a good replacement for it.
I've stuck with Easynews all these years as when I first got into usenets they had a web interface that made things easier before I learned about sick beard. $10 a month for unlimited, then use block news for a 500gb 1 time block that I have setup as back up and setup to pull from their eu servers.

Works great for TV shows but I've just used torrents for movies as the usenet releases are usually shitty and quality isn't consistent.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As an elitist snob with a BTN account for the last 6+ years, I still thought that IPT worked with programs like Sonarr? I'm sure I could research it and find the answer myself, but don't they have an API key as well that you can literally just plug in and have Sonarr auto-download everything just as it would with a newsgroup indexer (or BTN)?

I was a huge proponent of newsgroups several years ago too, but after realizing that I could download like 100TB or more on IPT (assuming I never upload a single thing) without any penalties, I stopped paying for it. Granted, I've been uploading there for years as well to build up all these bonus points/upload credit, but it has been discussed many times how easy it is to get ratio there. And people give away invites here all the time. To each their own and all, but just reminding how incredibly easy and free it is.

Crone

Gonna have to look into that and maybe test it for a while to see how well it works. The problem I see is that IPT doesn't just allow one version of a show or movie, it allows many. I might have to switch over from sickbeard to sonarr though, as being to click a few times to get a show automatically from IPT through the sonar interface would be way easier.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Gonna have to look into that and maybe test it for a while to see how well it works. The problem I see is that IPT doesn't just allow one version of a show or movie, it allows many. I might have to switch over from sickbeard to sonarr though, as being to click a few times to get a show automatically from IPT through the sonar interface would be way easier.
Well, in Sonarr you can specify things like quality, so if you set it for 720p for example, it will skip any that aren't 720p (including skipping 1080p unless you allow that as well and just want the first one of 720p or greater), and once it grabs a valid 720p copy it will ignore any others unless they specifically say PROPER in it (and you can turn that off too if you don't care). So you aren't going to get a half dozen versions of the same episode, just one, and it will be the one you want for the most part.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
What Vvoid said, Sonarr is the shit. well, except an easy way to blacklist releases for specific series. I don't want Hi10P anime releases because my rPi3/OpenElec can't handle them properly.

This reminds me that this is the best place to ask, what's a good low power CHEAP media player that can handle Hi10P / x265 and stuff like that. I won't be upgrading to 4k for a while (using a 1080 projector) and there's like a million 30-50-70-100$ android boxes that all promise the same thing.

I know the nvidia shield is awesome, but it's also ~250$ here.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What Vvoid said, Sonarr is the shit. well, except an easy way to blacklist releases for specific series. I don't want Hi10P anime releases because my rPi3/OpenElec can't handle them properly.

This reminds me that this is the best place to ask, what's a good low power CHEAP media player that can handle Hi10P / x265 and stuff like that. I won't be upgrading to 4k for a while (using a 1080 projector) and there's like a million 30-50-70-100$ android boxes that all promise the same thing.

I know the nvidia shield is awesome, but it's also ~250$ here.
Untitled.png

Solved your problem.

Crone

Well, in Sonarr you can specify things like quality, so if you set it for 720p for example, it will skip any that aren't 720p (including skipping 1080p unless you allow that as well and just want the first one of 720p or greater), and once it grabs a valid 720p copy it will ignore any others unless they specifically say PROPER in it (and you can turn that off too if you don't care). So you aren't going to get a half dozen versions of the same episode, just one, and it will be the one you want for the most part.
Well, that's nice. I suppose if I wanted certain releases, or to exclude things like FLEET, then just as @a_skeleton_03 showed, then I can add restrictions.

Currently trying to switch over to Sonarr right now to use Usenets, and Torrents together to make sure that I don't miss any episodes of stuff, or if someone requests something through Plex Requests, that it'll get added without troubles. It's not terribly confusing, but it's daunting, and getting a bit over whelmed.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know if it is in this thread or another, but I did a fairly comprehensive outline of how mine was set up, including the FLEET restrictions. Between the two of us it probably covers most of what people would need.

Crone

I don't know if it is in this thread or another, but I did a fairly comprehensive outline of how mine was set up, including the FLEET restrictions. Between the two of us it probably covers most of what people would need.
It seems Sonarr automatically handles the Torrent problem via hard links. I stuck with Deluge, despite recommendations for Transmission, and within Deluge they have a plugin that can auto-extract downloads. Thought this was gonna work pretty well as the download finishes, and then just extracts it to the Folder that in the past Sickbeard would scrape to find episodes. It's where all of SABnzbd stuff ends up. However, it seems that it just straight imports it just fine, and there is nothing wrong with the torrent as I'm still uploading it just fine. Shit's legit!

I'm still wrapping my brain around how it all works as there seem to be a lot of automated processes involved behind the scenes that just work within Sonarr, but I think I got everything switched over and I shutdown Sickbeard. I'm also noticing that Torrents are by far faster than any Usenets. If this continues to work out I'm gonna have to cancel all my Usenets entirely.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

@a_skeleton_03 Void Void

Any idea guys why Sonarr won't pick up a torrent that I manually queued? It downloaded it, and it's in the folder that should be checked for completed downloads, but it's not. Just sits there. The folder I download torrents too is different than the folder SABnzbd puts completed files in. If I manually import the show, through the wanted tab, it'll then parse them and move them, but then it deletes the files, so then it fucks up my seeding, even though I have hard links turned on, but that apparently only works if the completed download handler does it, and not through the manual process.

wtf, I want sickbeard back. :(

Maybe I should wipe both drives, and turn them into a dynamic drive so that the system seems them both as just 1 big drive, that way I don't have multiple drives that I'm storing everything on? I don't know.