Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I have no idea what is going on. The signal booster seems to help, but some days, often in the early morning, the antenna just can't pick up anything. Then out of nowhere it will improve for like 30 minutes, then go back to being shit.

Cloudy days, sunny days, clear days, none of it seems to correlate. Formerly cloudy days were the best. I know there is a solar thing going on, but back when it was really strong a few weeks ago and causing auroras further south, we never had any tv problems.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So this morning, can only pick up like 5 channels and they are barely working.

I check, and this stuff is coming from 160 freakin miles away. I have no idea how this is working.

And I can't get the stuff I'm pointed at which is 10 miles away.

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
Could be a variety of things. Bad coax cables, too close to a TV transmitter tower, bad wiring in the house, etc.

But it sounds like the new area you moved your antenna is just a bad spot compared to the old one. Theres things like antenae rotators that you can remote control from inside the house to see if you can get a better signal for a channel youre trying to watch.

Iirc we used a cell signal filter awhile ago and it did help. Ive never used 2 antenna but its def possible.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Last year around this time when it started getting hot, the hot clear days were bad for reception, but lately it seems like cool mornings are worse and the baking afternoons are fine.

The new spot has more trees in the way for sure, but a closer tower in that direction. Strangely quite often I can get signalds from the opposite direction as well.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So this morning, can only pick up like 5 channels and they are barely working.

I check, and this stuff is coming from 160 freakin miles away. I have no idea how this is working.

And I can't get the stuff I'm pointed at which is 10 miles away.
So it's been a long time since I learned all the theory on this stuff, so I don't remember the exact specifics.

HF Radio (think ham radio) is on a frequency that has the potential to bounce all the way around the globe. Early/mid 2000's when we where flying missions over Iraq in the Air Force we would use it to connect with state side people that could patch us in on a phone call. Generally people used it to talk to people back home, as this wasn't a secure thing. It essentially works because the frequency is low enough that the signal can bounce off the atmosphere and the ground. Weather conditions have an impact on that, so you might be bouncing the signal past things you'd like to hit based on those conditions. When we would do it stateside you might be able to get a guy in Washington State while flying over South Carolina, but not be able to get the guy in Tennessee.

Rambling, but essentially radio waves bounce, and if memory serves they bounce better at night due to atmospheric conditions. Sometimes farther away will see a better signal

Found a video that explains it pretty similar to how we learned it

1717893139049.png

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Plex is life, there is no life beyond plex - having access to multiple servers is the best thing - havent had regular cable in over a decade.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
going to resort for 2 weeks, bought the 4k firestick, my wife is most likely gonna get sunburned so it'll just be 2 or 3 days in the room

i jailbroke it, got kodi, the crew, serene, the asian drama 3pack and real debrid

anything i'm missing? i guess it would be nice to have a real keyboard, i could get the firetv app to use my phone keyboard

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
OK Plex friends, I am at the end of my rope here. I've been having troubles with Plex for quite some time now, but for the most part I've been able to work through it.

The first issue is that when it would be time to update the server, I wouldn't be able to download it from the Plex site. This is what it looks like for me about 95% of the time. When I go to plex.tv the upper right corner which has my user name, looks weird.
1722534479012.png

Then when I go to the download section, it says this.
1722534529558.png

However, if I go to the site on my phone (keep in mind on the same network), or from my work computer which is right next to me, it works just fine. So I have to assume there is some sort of network setting on my computer that is blocking it.

I do want to stress though. From time to time, it will go back to normal and work just fine.

So now it has gotten much worse. I can't even see my server in Plex anymore. I tried all of the troubleshooting they had listed on their forums, and still nothing. Completely removed it, and deleted all the stuff in regedit, pretty much everything I can think of.

Now after I installed it, it absolutely won't launch. It stuck in a loop saying "getting ready" but will never actually launch. If I try to go to the web view, I get this message.
1722534824566.png

I've gone to the support article and tried to go through the steps, and still can't get it to work.

So I am stuck. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do, please let me know.

Edit: Oh last thing. When I go to the Plex forums, and try to log in, I get this message. Tried using Edge as well, and same error.
1722534918951.png

Void

BAU BAU
<Gold Donor>
Is it possible that somehow your network connection got set to public? That is something easily overlooked and will cause all kinds of problems similar to what you are seeing.

The talea.fi thing is fucking weird though, as Denamian pointed out. That points back to some media company weird shit. Not necessarily the type that I'd suspect puts out browser hijackers or anything like that, but not anything related to Plex either. Unless it was an ad on a page somewhere perhaps.

If the network thing isn't the issue I'll try to remember how I fixed my similar issue with not seeing the server. I didn't have all those other symptoms, but I did have the "you don't own/can't see the server" thing. I want to say I just reinstalled, but you've done that.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Is it possible that somehow your network connection got set to public? That is something easily overlooked and will cause all kinds of problems similar to what you are seeing.
Just went and checked and it is still set to private.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Just went and checked my work computer (that is literally right next to me) and it also points to plex.tv for the common name. So something is fucked with my PC

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Maybe this will help. I'm assuming you are in or near Finland and your DNS is defaulting to the telia.fi DNS. Set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 for Google and see if that fixes it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe this will help. I'm assuming you are in or near Finland and your DNS is defaulting to the telia.fi DNS. Set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 for Google and see if that fixes it.

No, I am in California. Funny enough, when I go to forums.plex.tv it shows secure and cert from plex.tv. It's only when I hit login, that it throws that error and says the cert is from talea.fi