D.C. Naval Yard Shooting

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
CNN editors must be one of the most incompetent groups in journalism history. The misinformation & sensationalism they spew almost makes them a tabloid.

Senaiel

Actually there are AR15 shotguns.
There are shotguns that look like AR15s but it is impossible for a rifle to project shotgun shells. It may have been a semi automatic shotgun but it cannot be both a shotgun and rifle. It's like saying there are AR15 bb guns, cosmetic design does not impact ammo used.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Nothing stopping some company from making a single shot shotgun and calling it the model AR-15. But i think we all know that's not what the guy bought.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I'm just saying that this isn't their most absurd case of mislabeling a gun if it was actually built in that style.

Senaiel

Ok, I will give u that. I do however expect piers morgan to go on a gun control rant talking about AR15s again because of the AR15 shotgun label. Even though the real issue at hand is mental health.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What exactly do gun control advocates propose that would have stopped this individual?

He worked on a navy base for more multinational corporation working on defense related matters. The background check to hold that job would have been many times stricter then anything they have proposed in regards to regulating guns.

Unless they want to finally admit that they just want to ban all guns, there is not much in this tragedy for them to work with.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
The background check to hold that job would have been many times stricter then anything they have proposed in regards to regulating guns.
history of serious mental illness?

host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.

Aaron Alexis, 34, had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If you read that article it looks like he isn't actively in a role where he needs a clearance anyways. He still had one globally but probably wasn't activated locally.

If we yanked the clearance of every single military person going through psychiatric care we wouldn't be able to function and/or nobody would seek help because it would end their career.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Kind of sad, but if you have a job that requires a security clearance, that probably makes you less likely to seek help for mental health problems because you'd be afraid of losing your clearance which would also cause you to lose your job.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well guess I was wrong I would have thought military would have higher screening standard for civilian employee's.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well guess I was wrong I would have thought military would have higher screening standard for civilian employee's.
Who says they didn't?

He was actively in therapy. He was working a desk job, not a job with a gun. Some people are broken and we don't just put down broken people like we do dogs and cats. It is a tragedy that both the victims and the shooter went through this.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Security clearances aren't just free passes to do whatever you want. They're a two stage system. The first is you have to have a background check to make sure you're qualified to hold the clearance. The second is you have to have a need to know for that access.

A Secret clearance isn't anything special. I want to say the background check is mostly the same as a criminal background investigation that you'd have at any job, combined with a financial vetting process. It's not until you get into Top Secret and Top Secret/SCI that they really delve into it.

I've held a Secret clearance I want to say 4 different times (4 checks). Almost all of them were completed in a matter of 2-3 months. My Top Secret (SCI) background check lasted almost a year and they even went as far as interviewing a guy I knew in middle school who was in Costa Rica at the time. I haven't even got the slightest idea how they went about connecting him with me with the contacts I gave them.

There are plenty of people (in fact, I'd say the majority) whoholda clearance but never have access to classified material. In my current position I certainly don't. It's possible on maybe like 1% of the work I do.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Security clearances aren't just free passes to do whatever you want. They're a two stage system. The first is you have to have a background check to make sure you're qualified to hold the clearance. The second is you have to have a need to know for that access.

A Secret clearance isn't anything special. I want to say the background check is mostly the same as a criminal background investigation that you'd have at any job, combined with a financial vetting process. It's not until you get into Top Secret and Top Secret/SCI that they really delve into it.

I've held a Secret clearance I want to say 4 different times (4 checks). Almost all of them were completed in a matter of 2-3 months. My Top Secret (SCI) background check lasted almost a year and they even went as far as interviewing a guy I knew in middle school who was in Costa Rica at the time. I haven't even got the slightest idea how they went about connecting him with me with the contacts I gave them.
Yeah my TS took a year and a half it was ridiculous. My secret was approved by the time I finished boot camp.

Not looking forward to renewing my TS next year.

Like I said, from that article alone it looks like he still had a clearance from being a reservist but it wasn't activated locally for his current job. We will find out more on that later or not. It doesn't matter though, he was seeking help and trying to do the right thing.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Huh, I'm 28 and my TS/SCI took maybe...7 or 8 months? You guys must be shady!

It was weird randomly getting messages on Facebook from people I hadn't seen/talked to in 5-10 years saying an investigator had called them, though.

But yea, clearances to Secret aren't really anything special. I think the majority of people in the USAF, if not all of them, have a Secret as a minimum.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Huh, I'm 28 and my TS/SCI took maybe...10 months? You guys must be shady!

It was weird randomly getting messages on Facebook from people I hadn't seen/talked to in 5-10 years saying an investigator had called them, though.

But yea, clearances to Secret aren't really anything special. I think the majority of people in the USAF, if not all of them, have a Secret as a minimum.
I was over in Iraq and they said they couldn't come interview me out there .... that added a few months to it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Huh, I'm 28 and my TS/SCI took maybe...7 or 8 months? You guys must be shady!

Kind of off topic, but back in like 2007 the DoD threw a shit fit because people were waiting up to 2 years. So they figured out how to streamline it. TS's were supposed to be no longer than 6 months I believe.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It depends on active duty vs contractor also. NEW clearances for civilians still take a long time for TS / SCI. I did my PR (periodic reinvestigation) last year and it took about 10 months. The previous one in 2007 took a year and a half. Funny thing about the interview portion, they did not want to come to Doha Qatar because "it wasnt secure enough", yet asked me to travel to Bahrain where there was an IED blast the previous week and they still are popping off tear gas to this day. OPM are useless.