Daft Punk

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Basically goaling out to make something that can be sampled, which upon listening there are a lot of really good loopable samples within the album.
943036_10151438849320143_518742427_n.jpg

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
One thing I haven't heard about is how ... well, quiet, it sounds. I'm not really familiar with creating music, so I assume there are some tricks most pop songs use to seem louder that DP chose to skip ?
I might be in the minority, never been much of a Daft Punk fan and I liked this album even less than I thought I would. Sounded like disco without soul to me and the cheesy vocoded lyrics were just too much. The production though was the one positive element in my opinion. It does sound like it was the album they wanted to make and props to them for doing what they wanted.

Here is some more info on 'the loudness war' and what it has done to music in the past 15 or 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yep. It doesn't feel like a DP album, but I think I enjoy every song more now than I originally did, and I liked most of them quite a bit. Would be shocked if 5 better albums came out this year

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think Beyond is my favorite song from the album, it's so calming and the lyrics are really good. Could do without the intro though. It makes me want to stop and just listen

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I was initially underwhelmed, which is surprising as my electronic music tastes have shifted over the last few years from hard electro/techno to more chilled disco/balearic vibes (e.g Aeroplane, The Magician et al)

However, since last Monday it's all I've listened to which is a good sign. I think there's some great tracks on there (Moroder and Contact), some decent ones (the Casablancas one and Doing it Right) and some ones that I skip, just like any album.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
I was initially underwhelmed, which is surprising as my electronic music tastes have shifted over the last few years from hard electro/techno to more chilled disco/balearic vibes (e.g Aeroplane, The Magician et al)

However, since last Monday it's all I've listened to which is a good sign. I think there's some great tracks on there (Moroder and Contact), some decent ones (the Casablancas one and Doing it Right) and some ones that I skip, just like any album.
Well they made the album they wanted to make it, i'm waiting for the CD to come out before ruining the discovery part.
Light years away from Homework or Discovery, but much "softer", much more "enjoyable".

However i'm surprised no one mentions Get Lucky, of course it was the first released, but it's just a great song.
At least for me it's the perfect balance between "Smooth 70's disco" and "Daft Punk".

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Disappointed with the album if I'm honest. Third track in and I'm wondering why I'm listening to Giorgio Moroder's life story. The album never really takes off, it's just feels lacklustre and sadly the best track on it is the one I'm already sick of hearing through radio play saturation. Oh well, back to listening to Re-mit by The Fall.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Because he's a legend who pioneered the sound Daft Punk were trying to capture with RAM
I'm more than aware who he is but I didn't buy a music CD to listen to an autobiography, regardless of my feelings on his contribution to the synth genre. I'd be equally as bemused if I'd been subjected to the same by Jeff Lynne or Ray Davies.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
This album is growing on me over time

Give Life Back to Music is and was incredible from first listen
Giorgio by Moroder is great
Get Lucky is great and much better than the radio edit
Lose Yourself to Dance is great

The rest I didn't like much at first but they are growing on me. First, the album just doesn't sound good on bad speakers. Most music sounds fine on my laptop speakers and stock car stereo, and of course better on good speakers/headphones, but not this. It's not even worth listening to with bad output, yet sounds incredible with good speakers/headphones. I don't know anything about music but I'm guessing it has something to do with lack of compression? First example, on my car speakers some tracks are just really quiet, yet when the bass hits it crackles in my speakers and I have to turn it down. Most other music doesn't have that problem.

I will say, however, that the pretentious 53291 page newspaper reviews are just silly and represent everything I hate about art/music culture. Don't make them out to be fucking gods with some incomprehensible musical vision. Whatever review that was where he asks the quiet dude if he agreed and he said "if I disagree I'll say something" made him out to be some monk on a vow of silence or something. That shit has to go, because no human being is actually like he was portrayed.