Dark Souls 2

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think I'm going to have to change my build completely and farm up upgrade materials for a Dark/Fire set - I have no trouble getting him to second phase, then he just destroys me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
When you finally beat him everything will go perfectly and your weapons will be irrelevant.

Vaclav

When you finally beat him everything will go perfectly and your weapons will be irrelevant.
My weapons are fine, just my mitigation isn't once he gets to second phase - I'm fat rolling with the gear I need for first phase, and then second phase it's irrelevant since it's unblockable and almost all fire/dark damage.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Fat rolling is a huge issue. If you equip a Velstadts helm he enters p2 immediately. With quick dodges and not risking it for the biscuit he is manageable

Vaclav

Yea, debating V helm. Gotta get well into NG+ for it though. Murdered the vendor.

Vaclav

welllll shit LOL. I wouldn't want to fight the Fume Knight on ng+.
Yea, that's the rub, hah - debating a reroll for the spell trophies, done everything else. (and I got the bug where rezzing him on his stone he won't upgrade the store to get the drops)

Game itself isn't too long, and knowing the first two DLC well now should make them pretty quick too. [Also Smelter from Mauvin is the best Dark/Fire piece for at least one slot - best with PDef across the board]

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Quoting from Facebook:

Attention: Dark Souls II players!
We will be pushing a version and calibrations update in the coming weeks to address a few gameplay enhancements. Please see below for a list of changes:
On Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Steam (DirectX 9), Steam (DirectX 11):
--Fixed issue whereby weapon durability was decreased drastically when used on enemy corpses, friendly characters, etc. (Especially apparent for users running the game at 60 fps as the durability decrease rate was linked to the frame rate).
--Fixed issue whereby actions requiring both button and stick controller input (Jump Attack, Guard Break) were not properly registering in-game.
On Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Steam (DirectX 11):
--Fixed issue whereby summoning sign was displayed in Drangleic Castle and Throne of Want even though the player had defeated all bosses in the area.
--Fixed issue whereby the moment of death replay for some blood stains weren't being displayed online.
--Fixed issue whereby client side may hang during the event movie for Laddersmith Gilligan in Earthen Peak.
--Fixed issue whereby the Host may not be able to load their save data after stopping the game while waiting for matching to complete in online mode.
On Xbox One:
--Fixed issue whereby game may quit suddenly if player pauses the system during online multiplayer.
--Fixed issue whereby game may leave online multiplayer if the user pauses the system during online play then starts the game again.
--Fixes issue whereby the game may hang if the user goes back and forth between different maps over and over again.
--Fixed issue whereby the host may not return to normal offline play as intended when their network connection is cut off during online multiplayer.
On Steam (DirectX 9):
--Fixed issue whereby, when playing online, it may appear that the player is sliding forward because the walking motion animation is not being displayed properly.
We'll update everyone as soon as we know the exact date and time that the version and calibrations changes will occur. Thank you for your feedback and patience!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
For the record, I wasn't meaning to imply it was fine - just that it could be managed.
Indeed

When you get to level 133+ and the total number of weapon breaks is below 5 in 35+ hours after clearing 20+ bosses, it certainly can't be called game breaking. I'd rather boil it down to "stop swinging like a maniac" or "don't use the weapons you know are especially susceptible to it".

In no way shape or form has the durability bug played a part on lowering my enjoyment of the game on the PS4, and I'd still argue that newcomers to the title, not having heard of it, would not notice it either unless they stumbled upon the previously mentioned weapons like washing board / richards rapier.

As to it being a "feature" I ment it felt more like one. On the PS3 version, in 100 hours, I don't think I ever used a repair dust and not sure if I ever experienced a broken weapon outside of corrosion traps or PvP corrosion bottle spam. Durability certainly was never an issue I regarded as a feature tied to normal play, on the PS4 it was until I got the zweihander which has yet to break between bonfires.

Vaclav

Indeed

When you get to level 133+ and the total number of weapon breaks is below 5 in 35+ hours after clearing 20+ bosses, it certainly can't be called game breaking. I'd rather boil it down to "stop swinging like a maniac" or "don't use the weapons you know are especially susceptible to it".

In no way shape or form has the durability bug played a part on lowering my enjoyment of the game on the PS4, and I'd still argue that newcomers to the title, not having heard of it, would not notice it either unless they stumbled upon the previously mentioned weapons like washing board / richards rapier.

As to it being a "feature" I ment it felt more like one. On the PS3 version, in 100 hours, I don't think I ever used a repair dust and not sure if I ever experienced a broken weapon outside of corrosion traps or PvP corrosion bottle spam. Durability certainly was never an issue I regarded as a feature tied to normal play, on the PS4 it was until I got the zweihander which has yet to break between bonfires.
I even use some of the susceptible weapons as a swap-weapon. I have less breaks than you even (I've had two breaks - 1 on the dagger just before I got to the shortsword in Fallen Giants - and Fire Longsword getting distracted and swinging away too hard in The Gutter - otherwise I burn Repair Dusts that I've picked up [never bought any] or weapon-swap when X weapon gets worn down) though.

It's definitely annoying, but not game-breaking besides the dagger bit - certainly shouldn't have to worry about breaking your first weapon before replacement and before the smith is available.

Vorph

LOL, just stop. Hitting a corpse even once causes up to 10 durability damage. And it's not just corpses, it's also friendly players if you decide to coop (which shoots down the newcomers argument).

It's also a lot more than just durability that is directly tied to framerate. Ripostes do 50% more damage at 60 fps because they hit 3 times instead of just 2 (the cutoff is actually at 41 fps). Enemy attack animations play faster at 60 fps than they do at 30 fps which makes trying to parry annoying.

Hopefully From realizes that it's not just the durability and their fix for it is to unbind physics from framerate entirely, rather than just going in and special-casing durability and leaving everything else broken.

Vaclav

Even using a halberd swinging at 5+ dogs at once (after the Gargoyles, that pack) clearing the entire pack with sweeps including some corpse hits I'm sure, it was down 11 durability. Shrug. I do tend to stay away from sweeping weapons though and stick to precision weapons though for my normal non-testing play though.

Beating on a corpse that's already done ragdolling doesn't seem significant either, doing it with my LS (hally won't hit them) it seems like its taking multiple hits to lose 1 durability.

It's definitely worse than before, but it's not unplayable before the patch. And playing PS4 vs. PS3 through Betwixt (for equal comparison) I'm finding both equally easy to parry with Buckler or Crimson Parma. [I'd give PS4 a slight edge, but I do like the controller better so it's probably just more comfort with the controller]

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Your anecdotes are lovely, but it was definitely an issue at times. I'm using a spear because I'm a no-skill noob, but there's a place in Lost Bastille where 6-8 of those Royal Guardsman guys are coming out of a doorway and into a narrow area, hallway or ledge or something. I'd sit there jabbing at them, and after killing 2-3 of them, each thrust would take a shitload of durability. My spear broke from ~45/50 durability to 0/50 just killing those dudes, no extra swings, just incidental corpse hits while I'm jabbing through 2-3 of them at once.

So yeah. It's entirely possible your halberd doesn't do a good job hitting corpses or something, but I actually had issues with the 6-8 dogs around McDuff and the bonfire/Pursuer down below in Bastille as well. So it's not the dog model either. Who knows, point is, the bug sucked horribly at times, despite being mostly ok.

Vaclav

Which is the point he was trying to make that I was trying to reinforce - you can't just jump to your old weapon style of choice and assume it'll be manageable with the durability bug until it's fixed. I was an UGS user primarily on PS3, but I found that it was getting on the edge of breaking far too often for comfort. (I always do careful pulls barring cases like post-Gargoyles that you can't - so breaks were rare, but seriously felt like ten mobs would usually get it ready to break, I couldn't finish The Gutter/No Man's without it risking a break but yet switching out to my new weapon preference of a Scimitar + shield which has short reach and little sweeping it lasts all the way through those longer bonfires.

Relearning sucks versus just going with what you'd already learned though.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm confused. Weren't you arguing that it wasn't in fact game-breaking at times? Because I'd consider pigeon-holing you into only a few weapon choices because of a bug fairly game-breaking in a game which has weapon variety as one of its main draws.

Again, it was only at certain times/places, and most of the time the bug wasmanageable. But in places, it was game-breaking.

Vaclav

I'm confused. Weren't you arguing that it wasn't in fact game-breaking at times? Because I'd consider pigeon-holing you into only a few weapon choices because of a bug fairly game-breaking in a game which has weapon variety as one of its main draws.

Again, it was only at certain times/places, and most of the time the bug wasmanageable. But in places, it was game-breaking.
I actually said in the case of the newbie weapons it was game-breaking as an absolute (since it can easily cause breaks for some classes before you unlock the smith for repair or get a swap weapon you can use on some classes) - but that it could be worked around and be manageable.

I just meant it could be managed, and nothing more - it's a game built on adversity and being forced into uncomfortable positions as is - in another game, I'd definitely say completely game-breaking - for something that likes to punch you in the balls unless you play right, it's just an extra method of having to adjust your play for the most part. (Newbie weapons being complete horseshit though)

Reach and Sweeping do seem to be the biggest "sins" that it punishes though. Poise + UGS went from king in my book in PS3 to a pauper in PS4.

Late Edit: Just to clarify - when I think "gamebreaking" I think of stuff like The Rathe Council in PoP and other truly broken stuff that literally stops progress in a game, I have a hard time calling stuff that can be worked around "gamebreaking" - I don't like it, I think it's shitty, but not gamebreaking to me.

khalid

Unelected Mod
If you were playing it on PC, the durability shit was a huge problem. Yes, you could "play around" it by carrying around a smorgasbord of weapons and swapping between them or refusing to use entire classes of weapons, but that was ridiculous. Falling all over yourself to apologize for an obvious bug like that is silly as fuck.

Whether it is gamebreaking or not, depends on your definition. It certainly made me stop playing it and decide to wait for a patch that would fix it. Joke was on me though, even as obvious as it was, they never fixed it and so I still haven't finished this game.