Dark Souls

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is the first souls game I've played, is level 38 in Farron Keep higher than normal? I got so owned in Highwall of Lothric and Vordt I just kept grinding levels until everything is easy to kill (mostly 1 or 2 hit kills).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can beat the game without levelling at all so don't worry too much about it. Usually grinding doesn't help in the tradition rpg style. Mostly you just git gud.

I find most of my increased kill speed comes from knowing the enemies better and upgrading my weapons.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, weapon upgrades are the real 'leveling up' as far as I'm concerned, but as Noodle said it's really about just getting better at the game and know the enemy patterns.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Practice and equipment help the most but leveling will help. Unless you PVP there's really no reason not to level unless you really want that low level challenge thing people seem to be into with these games.

Here I am visiting the Duke's Archives.

Here I am post Seathe kill rocking my Moonlight great sword near the Royal Wood.

Also modeling my Aquaman weaponry.

pOUF8fC.png

zGqvbev.png

Nds6VDi.png

Last edited:

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
3 seemed so small/short compared to the previous 2. It was very good, though.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
One seems pretty big . Every time I think I am almost done there is more opening up. This game is considerably easier than Bloodborne though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One seems pretty big . Every time I think I am almost done there is more opening up. This game is considerably easier than Bloodborne though.
I found bloodborne harder for me as I was a shield user mainly. I also find each iteration harder. The exception was the latter half of dark souls 2 I just stomped. I also beat 3 in like 25 hours which people claimed I must've used walk throughs or something

3 did feel smaller but I felt the world was a bit better

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I started with Bloodborne so I didn't have any experience with how to play these games. Bloodborne stuck it in and broke it off pretty often. One of my all time favorite games though.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider

Vanilla 2 is longer than Dark Souls 1 + DLC. I got like 80 hours out of Scholar + dlc. Game is worse in a lot of ways, but also better in some. It's also probably the easiest in the series until you hit the DLC, after which it becomes the hardest.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Vanilla 2 is longer than Dark Souls 1 + DLC. I got like 80 hours out of Scholar + dlc. Game is worse in a lot of ways, but also better in some. It's also probably the easiest in the series until you hit the DLC, after which it becomes the hardest.

Can't be harder than the Bloodborn DLC. I'll probably take a short break when I finish this then start on 2.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't actually played Bloodborne DLC, but it's definitely harder than Bloodborne vanilla.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Bloodborne DLC was was way harder than vanilla. I died more times on Ludwig than every boss in Dark Souls combined so far.

I killed Knight Astorias on my 4th try. How hard is he compared to the rest of the expansion bosses?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Expansion done. 1 shot Manus.

Much easier than Bloodborne for sure.

JZa9DKd.png

aoHpmUX.png

VTdpwvm.png

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Dark souls has a chose your own difficulty to it. If you pick all the most op shit you will crush anything. If you play some magicless rapier and shield it gets a lot harder. The games are literally as hard or easy as you want them to be once you understand that there is no balance between choices, they just all exist for you to play as you want.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Can't be harder than the Bloodborn DLC. I'll probably take a short break when I finish this then start on 2.

Do yourself a favor and don't judge 2 until you are at least 20 hours in. I texted @LiquidDeath once an hour about how much I hated 2 and that I was going to quit playing soon. Then after I got past the starting area and into the meat of the game I really started to enjoy it as its own game and not as something better or worse than DS1/Bloodborne.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Fair enough. I really expect to like it but I'll let you know when I finally get to it.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Two is a solid game with the DLC included, definitely worth a play. With the exception of bloodborne, I find the start of all the souls games the absolute worst. DS1 I felt so clunky until I ditched all the armor and shield and played it 2 handed and it became a lot more fun.

I found DS2 even worse because it has that agility stat too which affects iframes and speed of actions, and whilst its been a while since I played it I remember it took quite some time before my character felt like it 'got going'. Absolutely worth it , some of the bosses in DLC especially were absolutely amazing. And I really loved cooping on Fume Knight, musta parked my character at his bonfire for ages to help other people out with such a tough and fun fight. Great game :)

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I played them in release order, with that being my difficulty order (maybe DS1 harder than DeS...). Seems like it's just a difficulty curve involved with this overall type of game, and once you learn the majority of what's going on, it doesn't matter what skin it's wearing, you'll be able to slide into the seat fairly quickly in later iterations (or when going back to previous titles like Chanur). I'd hazard a guess that Chanur would have found DS1 to be his "toughest" if he began with that, then went on to Bloodborne. Even I, as an admitted spear/shield loser, found Bloodborne easier than DS1 after a very quick acclimation to lack of shield.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do yourself a favor and don't judge 2 until you are at least 20 hours in. I texted @LiquidDeath once an hour about how much I hated 2 and that I was going to quit playing soon. Then after I got past the starting area and into the meat of the game I really started to enjoy it as its own game and not as something better or worse than DS1/Bloodborne.

I actually had more fun with 2 than 1. I thought it had better controls, better itemization, better build variety and better dlc. But I'm under no delusion that it's a better game. There's nothing in two that approaches the level of seeing Anor Londo for the first time, or seeing how the levels fold around themselves, or fighting O & S, etc. In terms of atmosphere, level design, artistic vision, whatever - Dark Souls 1 and BBorne are in a class of their own. They're marvels. But I had more FUN playing 2.

• 1Like