Dawn of War 3

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'll probably get it cause I'm such a Warhammer fanboy, but would be smarter if I waited til it's on sale as I don't have much interest in the multiplayer pvp. Was really hoping they'd bring forward Last Stand from DoW 2 or at least something like it, cause I really enjoyed the co-op aspect.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
If it's like DoW1 you can just do co-op vs AI battles. Had some epic 3v3 ones that way.

Rime

<Donor>
Going to hold off on this until I have seen some 'average person' reviews. I loved the overworld campaign in Dawn of War 1, it reminded me of the Battle for Middle-earth games that I played as a teenager and it was just great. Dawn of War 2, while an awesome game, was nothing like an RTS that I expected. The campaigns were great, if a bit short, but the multiplayer never got me. If they are pushing the DoW3 multiplayer just as hard (if not harder - from what I have seen), then it is just not a day one purchase for me.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I have been a Relic fanboy for over a decade. I had no idea what Warhammer 40K was before DoW 1. I am now enraptured by all things Warhammer. I loved how they combined in elements of Company of Heroes into Dawn of War 2. That said.... this game from every stream and preview of gameplay I have watched, looks like shit. Not literally, its actually beautiful graphically, but the gameplay is like Command and Conquer from the 90s. Ball your units, throw them at the static base + MoBA Heroes. Its a damn shame, also, only 3 races at launch? Come the fuck on, they are going to DLC races in, instead of expansions I bet. That is the Sega Model. I am unsure if that is going to be good or bad, I suppose that depends on the price.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
Curious how the campaign is for this, the campaigns for DoW2 and the expansions were fun af

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Is this more DoW2 or DoW1? Those were fairly different games. I liked both but probably have my plate full right now as far as gaming goes.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Is this more DoW2 or DoW1? Those were fairly different games. I liked both but probably have my plate full right now as far as gaming goes.
Closer to dow 1.

I liked 2 for being more like coh and being about unit preservation.

This is like 1 in that you have more units but it's wierd too in that there's plenty of squad insta gib abilities and a ton of intensive micro and ability usage. So it's basically more hardcore and closer to StarCraft where a fast intense fight can lead to you being devastated.

Probably going to be a huge skill gap between korean esque uber virgins and your average scrub that cries more in the steam form than they do actually playing.

Certainly a few balance issues to sort though.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Don't like it at all. The maps are all set up MOBA-style, with an eventual inhibitor that you have to destroy. You can't relocate bases or anything, and the maps basically have lanes that you have to push down, just like a moba.

Units are all nearly worthless compared to the hero units. I don't think any amount of regular troops can possibly contend with a well micro'd hero unit, much less the titan sized ones. Of the big titan units the eldar walker is hilariously overpowered and can gib the other titans in a matter of seconds.

Voice acting is fucking terrible. It's poorly mixed and you can't hear any of the unit barks well enough, not that you'd even want to. Especially the space marines, they all sound like fucking interns told to put on their best army voice. Such a huge step backwards from the first two games.

Only 3 factions, with a ton of "samey-ness" between them. They really just feel like reskins. I'm sure Chaos will be a 20$ DLC etc.

tl;dr wait for it to be 20-30$ in a few months, or for a gold edition or whatever in a year that contains all the inevitable DLC factions.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
Don't like it at all. The maps are all set up MOBA-style, with an eventual inhibitor that you have to destroy. You can't relocate bases or anything, and the maps basically have lanes that you have to push down, just like a moba.

Units are all nearly worthless compared to the hero units. I don't think any amount of regular troops can possibly contend with a well micro'd hero unit, much less the titan sized ones. Of the big titan units the eldar walker is hilariously overpowered and can gib the other titans in a matter of seconds.

Voice acting is fucking terrible. It's poorly mixed and you can't hear any of the unit barks well enough, not that you'd even want to. Especially the space marines, they all sound like fucking interns told to put on their best army voice. Such a huge step backwards from the first two games.

Only 3 factions, with a ton of "samey-ness" between them. They really just feel like reskins. I'm sure Chaos will be a 20$ DLC etc.

tl;dr wait for it to be 20-30$ in a few months, or for a gold edition or whatever in a year that contains all the inevitable DLC factions.

Thanks for sacrificing your shekels bruh

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

FVKHewI.jpg

Rime

<Donor>
Guess I will pass until it ends up $20/in a bundle.

Sucks. I really, really love the universe. Just they either do shit games or they do not give the good games the support they need.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why is it so hard sometimes for companies to leave well enough alone and just iterate instead of 'revolutionize the genre' like retards?

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This is a huge disappointment. The Dawn of War series has been superb, right up until Retribution when it took a huge nosedive. I hoped they'd realize their mistakes and recover the franchise, seems not.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Funny you say that, Retribution was the first one I didn't play all that much because they cut corners with copypasting one campaign for all races.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Retribution was the first Dawn of War game I really didn't like. Everything about it was worse than it's predecessors. When I first saw DoW 3 advertised, my first thought was "oh god I hope they make it more like Dawn of War II and not at all like Retribution". Like I say, huge disappointment.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm bummed out by this. I loved DoW2 more than 1 but this is just weird. Feelsbadman.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Soulstorm was the same half-assed copy/paste too, they just farmed the game out to another studio instead of doing it themselves.

It wasn't quite as overt as Retribution though. Retribution was more of a quarter-assed copy/paste.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This game isn't really bad I don't think? But it sure is a big old pile of meh.

It definitely has a lot of MOBA influences in it, and that just isn't for me. But I'm old and wanted a more pure RTS, I'm not sure younger kids and the dota/league generation won't mind it at all really.

Only 3 races burns my ass so bad, because you know 100% Chaos etc are coming as 20$ dlc packs. I just cannot abide that shit anymore and mostly refuse to partake in it.

The voice acting is the biggest disappointment to me really. DoW1 was great, all the unit barks were awesome; Space Marines sounded fucking imperious and awesome. Orks were insane and terrifying. Even DoW2 was great in this department, and to a slightly lesser extent Space Marine as well. The units in DoW3 all just sound bland and uninspired which is such a shame, because most of the units really do look great. It's just missing soul it feels like, and I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. 40k is such an insanely vast well of awesome lore and they just aren't really utilizing any of it for some reason.

Just look at the dudes who made Battlefleet Gothic. The game just isn't for me cause I'm not in to the hard naval combat sim type thing, but look at how fucking awesome they made the orks in this shit. They really are in to the universe and it shows all over the place in their game with red ork ships, a big red SUPAFAST button, the ship names, etc. You just don't have any of that awesome attention to detail bleeding through in DoW3 and it just makes me sad.