Defiance (Syfy April 2013) TV Series and MMO

revkip_sl

shitlord
I can see and even agree with most of the posts about the poor acting or writing, as the show has a distinct Canadian air about it
cool.png
but srsly, it's from the main guy that gave us Farscape.

Maybe I'm just blinded by the idea of a tv show/mmo shared universe. I'm liking both of what I've seen so far. Compared to STO and/or season 1 of ST:TNG (even the new HD version), I'd rather watch AND play Defiance.

Second episode was pretty bad and went about how I expected; pointless town drama with a tiny bit of the overarching threat of the week. The whole cop drama in a fictional setting bit has been over done lately and this setting is darned dull so far.

As someone mentioned Babylon 5 above... does any channel air the reruns at the moment? It would be fun to revisit it and see how its aged.
could always watch it online

http://www.tv.com/shows/babylon-5/watch/

cool.png

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh I didn't say I wouldn't watch it. Just know that it's not a great show in the slightest. I doubt it will see a third season if it has even been renewed for a second to start with.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its ending up to be some type of soap opera type shit more than anything. This show would be 1000x better if they just showed the 2 main protagonists on the journey to Antartica and getting into all kinds of shit along the way.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The budget is at work in the races as well. Which races do you see the most besides human? Answer: The most human looking ones. Same reason in most Sci-Fi you mostly see human looking aliens. Even shows like Farscape had lots of human looking races (although I liked how Peacekeeper Wars basically revealed that Sebacean were basically humans that were brought from Earth tens of thousands of years ago and genetically modified).

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I am the only one here who likes this show? For once, it's sci fi where they left the word "Star" out of the title. And they aren't lost in space, or exploring in space. It feels different than what we typically see.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am the only one here who likes this show? For once, it's sci fi where they left the word "Star" out of the title. And they aren't lost in space, or exploring in space. It feels different than what we typically see.
You mean the humans aren't lost in space. What about all the aliens stranded on this rock?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And if it becomes a war torn cesspool with people scavenging everything then what?
Then they are in the same boat as every human being on this planet now. When you said stranded, I took it as the classic crash land on alien plant not able to get home story. Or am I not understanding your point?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The show is pulling in ratings higher than BSG's.
They pulled in 2.7M viewers their first night and 2.4 the next night.

You know what else pulls in numbers like that? Random episodes of Kitchen Nightmare.

Touch pulled in 2.2M on it's 11th episode of the 2nd season (most current episode) and it's being cancelled most likely due to low ratings.

Vegas pulled in 7M viewers and is on the bubble for cancellation.

I understand it's a SyFy show so it gets a certain amount of slack because, well because every other show on there is pretty much shit. That doesn't make it a good show, just the shiniest turd in the litter box.

They spent $100M and aren't getting their money's worth at all. I watch shittier stuff.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
They pulled in 2.7M viewers their first night and 2.4 the next night.

You know what else pulls in numbers like that? Random episodes of Kitchen Nightmare.

Touch pulled in 2.2M on it's 11th episode of the 2nd season (most current episode) and it's being cancelled most likely due to low ratings.

Vegas pulled in 7M viewers and is on the bubble for cancellation.

I understand it's a SyFy show so it gets a certain amount of slack because, well because every other show on there is pretty much shit. That doesn't make it a good show, just the shiniest turd in the litter box.

They spent $100M and aren't getting their money's worth at all. I watch shittier stuff.
This is Sci Fi. They continually keep shows that only pull in one million viewers a week for multiple seasons. Is it expensive? Sure, but the $100m includes the MMO.

I'm not saying this is the best Sci Fi ever (it's not). But I also didn't find it horrible.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This is Sci Fi. They continually keep shows that only pull in one million viewers a week for multiple seasons. Is it expensive? Sure, but the $100m includes the MMO.

I'm not saying this is the best Sci Fi ever (it's not). But I also didn't find it horrible.
I didn't find it "horrible" either but saying it's "good" because it's on ScyFy and so it's destined to suck is not a proper excuse. The show is good or not good. It is not.

Will it be renewed despite that? Maybe.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think the problem is that when Sci fi is done right it is amazing. We don't want just ok or something to watch. We tend to judge it more critically then we would a run of the mill cop show. I enjoy the show. 'm just glad it isn't the usual campy sci fi bullshit that seems to always get released.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Show is pretty terrible. Improving with each episode but when you start with a turd it can only be shined up so much. I'd rather re-watch Farscape, B5 or BSG than watch a show that is 1/50th as good them. I'm giving it a couple more eps before cutting it off.