Depression

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Similar situation happened with my mother - well, sort of.

Several years ago she started acting different. She was always a drinker, but things were getting weird. She started making rash decisions, and for whatever reason my stepfather went along with them. At first it was small stuff - changing rooms around, different clothes, but it progressed. I think the tipping point was when my dog started to get sick and my mother immediately had her put down. She berated all of us telling us we needed to dig a grave because she was returning with my dead dog. Yeah.

She ended up adopting a couple adult dogs, which was very weird, almost like she was replacing. It might seem small and maybe even rational for someone attached, but something felt very weird.

I got a call at work around 8:00PM and told to gather up my brother and sister (they worked there too) to go to the hospital - she tried to kill herself. Unbeknownst to us, she was on a ton of weird anxiety and pain meds. Apparently she was going to various doctors, getting prescribed something and hitting up another doctor. She had a shoebox full of prescriptions. Those that she could not get from doctors she ordered from Canada. She racked up $20,000 in credit card bills.

We later found out she was dealing with some major anxiety and depression and never told anyone. She did the whole treatment thing, much like your wife, but unfortunately my stepfather is quite the enabler and she has relapsed multiple times (including several attempts at her life). I say several attempts and people might think they were half-assed, but the doctor was giving us chances on her surviving in the single digits.

The reason I tell you this is to not do what my stepfather did. Be supportive to her, help her along, listen to her. Life will get better.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
If you don't mind me asking, how did your stepfather enable her? I'd like to avoid the same types of mistakes.

Thanks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you don't mind me asking, how did your stepfather enable her? I'd like to avoid the same types of mistakes.

Thanks.
Sure. I'm pretty numb to it and don't have a good relationship with my mother thanks to her antics, so I don't mind any questions you have.

A lot of her problems stemmed from drinking. At first he was fully supportive, but 'every time' he would eventually let her 'just have one drink' and the cycle would begin again. It was only a matter of weeks before she was full-blown suicidal alcoholic. He's signed her out of places early because it made her uncomfortable, he never makes her accountable for things she's done (he just repairs the financial stuff for instance), and a lot of times he will trigger her (say things like us kids don't love her, we don't care, etc.). He's not all shitty, I mean he has stuck by her over the years.. so maybe it's just a symptom of all her crap.

Nulolan

N00b
So this isn't about me and my depression but something happened last night that's keeping me up and I wanted to talk about it but all my friends and family are in bed. So gonna post about it here, it's about something my ex is going through right now maybe I could get some incite on how to help her.

Anyway starting from the beginning I have an ex that I have known for almost a decade that I am very close to, well she has a boyfriend but we were talking about her breaking up with him and moving in with me again. Her boyfriend had an idea about it, as she was being honest about her feelings and not trying to hide anything from anyone. Earlier tonight he blew his brain's out in front of my ex, and she's totally losing it about it and I am not totally sure how I can help, or maybe I should just give her space . She really has no one else she is at her parents now but lived with her boyfriend her parents don't have room for her long term, obviously staying with boyfriend is not really an option in this. So there's a chance she will be moving in with me a little quicker then we anticipated.

I pretty much told her over the phone that I'm here for her she can talk to me about it, I can give her advise on how I deal with situations quite a bit like this one. She know's I'm here so my plan was since she knows to just give her space till she is ready to come around, is this wrong ? I do have first hand knowledge of going through this sort of thing, I am bipolar and for many many years it went un-diagnosed and I tried to commit suicide more times then I can count had no fucking clue what was wrong with me. I also have experience with people close to me killing them selves, my uncle blew his brain's out as well and I was the one that found him but he was dead before I walked in the house. My best friend growing up was murdered right in front I held him as he bleed out from several gun shot wounds, just as my ex did with her boyfriend except he was already dead he still did it right by her.

Part of me hate's him for doing this just seems like he did it this way to me because it'll scar her forever and he wanted to do that, that's my feeling on it anyway. I mean shit if he really cared about how she would feel why do it in the room right next to her (she was in living room he was in kitchen), he should have just parked somewhere and did it so some random joe could find him I know that's not good either but much better then a loved one finding him imo. I just don't know what to do this is the sweetest girl I know she wears her heart on her sleeve i'm worried she will partly blame me for it, and maybe I am partly to blame. She has no other good friends besides me though, I'm just truly at a loss as to what to do. Does anyone have any experience on this type of situation ? could really use some advice. Thanks guys.

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
So this isn't about me and my depression .... Does anyone have any experience on this type of situation ? could really use some advice. Thanks guys.
This post ended up way heavier than expected. I'd recommend just being there for her if she needs it (don't look for solutions.. just listen)... she probably should go get some sort of professional counseling if she isn't already going down that path. It's over your head whether you want it to be or not.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This isn't really a depression thing. She is presumably actually traumatized, not in the microaggression way. She should see a legit therapist, not that you don't want to help but this is likely out of your league to tackle pro bono on the side.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone have any experience with Zoloft. I've had problems relaxing, not mentally but physically. I walk around and I realise my shoulders are up to my jaw. My teeth are clenched all the time. I purposely move my shoulders down and 2 minutes later same thing. Dr. prescribed zoloft so wondering if anyone had any experience. I read it takes a while to take effect, need to get it going since my medical has gone from bad to as bad as it can. Depession at maximum now.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Zoloft worked very well for me for controlling my depression. Most of the common side effects went away within a couple of weeks but the biggest one was impotence while I was on it and that never went away while I was on it. I was taking 100mg and it took a solid month before the depression was under control. It was very effective and I needed it at the time but the impotency was a bit much.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They might try and scapegoat someone, but really the system is what's broken here. Besides, unless he was literally gibbering or making direct threats towards himself or others, they probably didn't have the grounds to put him on an involuntary hold, so when he said he wanted to go they had to let him go.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They might try and scapegoat someone, but really the system is what's broken here. Besides, unless he was literally gibbering or making direct threats towards himself or others, they probably didn't have the grounds to put him on an involuntary hold, so when he said he wanted to go they had to let him go.
Yeah they aren't really sure yet what actually happened at the hospital.

Scary thing is my wife was at that very same hospital on Friday in the ER and they were extremely nice to her but definitely pushy in getting her to leave.

That town, Taunton, is a haven for Heroin addiction so I wouldn't be surprised if they thought he was a junkie and sent him on his way.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Zoloft worked very well for me for controlling my depression. Most of the common side effects went away within a couple of weeks but the biggest one was impotence while I was on it and that never went away while I was on it. I was taking 100mg and it took a solid month before the depression was under control. It was very effective and I needed it at the time but the impotency was a bit much.
Did you notice a downward bit when you first started taking it. I just started last week and honestly I feel 10x worse than when I started. I've never felt more hopeless in my life, and that included after a Dr. told me I had massive brain damage, would never walk again, and soon I would have to strapped into a wheelchair.

This is pretty bad.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Did you notice a downward bit when you first started taking it. I just started last week and honestly I feel 10x worse than when I started. I've never felt more hopeless in my life, and that included after a Dr. told me I had massive brain damage, would never walk again, and soon I would have to strapped into a wheelchair.

This is pretty bad.
I did not but my wife did. My case was straightforward depression. My wife is bi-polar though and Zoloft made everything worse for her. If it's making you feel that bad and hopeless than talk to your doctor immediately and try something else.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Magic mushrooms 'promising' in depression - BBC News

They were then given a very high dose equivalent to "a lot of mushrooms", the researchers said.

The psychedelic experience lasted up to six hours, peaking after the first two, and was accompanied by classical music and followed by psychological support.

Dr Robin Carhart-Harris, one of the researchers, said: "These experiences with psilocybin can be incredibly profound, sometimes people have what they describe as mystical or spiritual-type experiences."

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Feeling down in the dumps recently not sure what I can do.

Ex girlfriend of three years was being super shady around my friend of 10 years, I do some snooping and it's obvious she is either cheating on me or considering it. So I confront her and break up with her she confirms she was unhappy and wanted to date my friend (this was about a year and a half ago)

I was really truly in love with this chick and it messed me up for a long time, I was miserable and basically took 8 months off of life. Slowly, I started to stop feeling sorry about myself lost a bunch of weight and got a better more fulfilling job.

In March I was drinking around my birthday and was feeling sentimental so I randomly texted her after not speaking for a year, She responds back we start chatting and with in a week all three of us are hanging out again having a great time and a week after that I'm back to fucking her while he's working.

I was initially hesitant about it but while when hung out he had no problem with me being handsy with her and she told me she was working on getting a threesome set up. So when she told me it was ok for us to fool around I just went with it.

Did that for a bit until her boyfriend found out and had a meltdown apparently he had no intentions of sharing anything and was forced into even considering it by her. He hated it when we flirted but was too afraid of upsetting her to say anything.. She took no time in throwing me under the bus saying that I was "In love" with her and I seduced her or some shit and how we can no longer be friends etc etc.

I handled it...badly by exposing what we did to all his friends and basically embarrassing him.

Today roughly 3 weeks after it all went down, I find out he bought her an engagement ring and proposed to her and is getting kicked out of his house because he hasn't paid rent to his roommates for the past few months.

I feel conflicted. Part of me knows he will be miserable because she will use him and treat him like a cuck and while he did fuck me over I was still friends with him for a long time. Also I want her to be happy because even though she has cheated on every man she has ever dated and fucked me over I know she has the potential to be a really good person one day and I did love her once.

I just feel mislead and like shit for being petty and embarrassing him by exposing a private situation.

Part of me wants to apologize but she has him so wound up with the "us versus him" narrative I doubt it would do any good.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Walk away from the whole situation, not worth your time bro
Yeah that's what I originally did, the problem is he was a friend for a long time so all of friends are friends with each other hell half of my friends live with him. I initially withdrew from all of them and I think it just made things worse and I don't want to do that to myself again.

I guess what I'm saying is they will always be "around" even if she is trying her best to alienate him to our social circles.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
She has the potential to be a great personsomeday? Sounds like you and your friend need to get HER out of the picture until she grows up.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like terrible people all the way around. Why do people insist on shitting where they eat?