Depression

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
It is so exhausting dealing with someone who has a bipolar disorder. My wife has been going through an episode that started at the end of March (go back to early April and you'll see my post on it). She's been seeing a therapist who works with her intensively (3 times a week and more as needed). Part of the problem is that her medications aren't right yet so we're still trying to figure that part out. Earlier this week they did a genetic test which is supposed to help them pinpoint which classes of medications are more likely to be effective than others. We'll see her psychiatrist again next week for results and, hopefully, changes to her medications for the better.

But last night her mania took over for awhile and she was refusing to take her medications that she has. Even though they're not 100% correct they do keep the worst of the symptoms down for the most part. But last night the mania just took over and it took me over an hour of fighting with her and a call to her therapist letting her know that my wife was being non-compliant before she finally took them. Since then the mania went away but her severe depression is back. Honestly I'm not sure which is worse... She has taken her medications on schedule though. She's classified as having a mixed type bipolar disorder and it appears that she does the rapid cycling. She can be "almost" fine for hours at a time and, literally, 30 seconds later her mood just drops and she's in a severe depression.

I'm just so sick of the whole situation and there's not a lot I can do about it. I'm angry and depressed but can't show it in front of her. If I leave (i.e. separate) she commits suicide. She hasn't threatened me with that but I know it will happen 100% for a fact. I'm seeing a therapist for myself which has helped a bit but I'm just worn out with those whole thing. The worst part is that the research I've done all shows that everything she's going through is "normal" and an episode like this can lasts months. I'm just praying that for once something goes our way and they can get her medications going in the right direction when we see her psychiatrist next week.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Not worth staying with someone because you think you're their only ward against suicide. Eject, eject.

Crazily

N00b
Has there been a medication that anyone has had success with treating long term anxiety and or depression? Or a combo of two or more medications?
I started taking tramadol for pain about 2 years ago, side effect is anti-depressent. It has some crazy side effects though and you can get really hooked. I have been able to maintain taking 1 50mg pill at work M-F and taking weekends off. Sometimes I stop taking it for a few days mid week to also clear out of my system as I can feel it building up.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
It is so exhausting dealing with someone who has a bipolar disorder. My wife has been going through an episode that started at the end of March (go back to early April and you'll see my post on it). She's been seeing a therapist who works with her intensively (3 times a week and more as needed). Part of the problem is that her medications aren't right yet so we're still trying to figure that part out. Earlier this week they did a genetic test which is supposed to help them pinpoint which classes of medications are more likely to be effective than others. We'll see her psychiatrist again next week for results and, hopefully, changes to her medications for the better.

But last night her mania took over for awhile and she was refusing to take her medications that she has. Even though they're not 100% correct they do keep the worst of the symptoms down for the most part. But last night the mania just took over and it took me over an hour of fighting with her and a call to her therapist letting her know that my wife was being non-compliant before she finally took them. Since then the mania went away but her severe depression is back. Honestly I'm not sure which is worse... She has taken her medications on schedule though. She's classified as having a mixed type bipolar disorder and it appears that she does the rapid cycling. She can be "almost" fine for hours at a time and, literally, 30 seconds later her mood just drops and she's in a severe depression.

I'm just so sick of the whole situation and there's not a lot I can do about it. I'm angry and depressed but can't show it in front of her. If I leave (i.e. separate) she commits suicide. She hasn't threatened me with that but I know it will happen 100% for a fact. I'm seeing a therapist for myself which has helped a bit but I'm just worn out with those whole thing. The worst part is that the research I've done all shows that everything she's going through is "normal" and an episode like this can lasts months. I'm just praying that for once something goes our way and they can get her medications going in the right direction when we see her psychiatrist next week.
A manic episode needs to last at least a week (hypomanic is at least 4 days) to be classified as such. Does she also have borderline personality disorder?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Time to carry this bad boy over. Haven't really posted almost at all in the other thread, but guess I'm just having a very reflective evening.

I take meds for depression, not a biggie. They've helped out so much, to the point I wish I did this 20 years ago, but better late than never right? Noticed lately work has seriously been getting to me. To the point I've been thinking of just walking out. Which of course would be beyond stupid and self-destructive, with no back up plan currently. Occurred to me this is exactly how the old (pre-meds) me thought. I then realized I haven't been taking my meds for like the last 3 weeks. Started spending some nights a week over at my gf's and I guess it just messed up my routine, and i just forgot about it. Started taking them again. Also started psyching myself up again before work, which funny as it sounds, actually works. "Today's going to be an awesome day. I got this shit. I'm not letting anyone put their monkey on my back today." That kind of stuff. I work with the public, and they ain't coming to see me unless they need a problem solved. But so many people are just entitled cocksuckers, I need to learn better not to let them affect me.

Just rambling I guess, but if I have a point, it's stay on your damn meds - they are important.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Started taking Welbutrin 2 weeks ago. Don't know if i feel any different but I started having vivid dreams again, haven't had them in years. Kinda weird and fucking with my sleeps.

lindz

#DDs
Ugh I went through the vivid dreams shit with one medication. Never went away and had to change meds. It was all sorts of screwed up.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've been on straterra for a few months now to help with anxiety/depression at work. Fucking mellows me out to the point I'm a zombie. I don't particularly enjoy the feeling, but I'll take it for now over the constant stress/dread my bosses subject me to.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I take Wellbutrin as well, but no weird dreams. I have incredibly bad sleep apnea so, yeah. I have noticed that it can take me about a full month of taking it every day, before I start really feeling the benefits of it, so keep with it bixxby.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
about-everything-everything-i-try-goes-totally-wrong-there-s-no-escape-joseph-goebbels-92-7-0728.jpg

Joseph Goebbels, 1924

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Dude should have known his life purpose the first time he looked in a mirror - that's a face made for genocide.

Arcanaloth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Was on SSRIs for a couple of years, they definitely helped me stabilize so I could crawl out of the pit. I've been off for a while and am thinking of getting back on because reasons. Never experienced vivid dreams, but the night sweats were horrid.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
meds actually work but it can only do so much.
meds, active lifestyle, and healthy relationship and work environment.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
So yeah, didn't get any of the positions I applied for so that means in about 2 weeks I'll have no insurance. Can't wait to see the level of cancer care I'll be receiving once they know I can't pay for anything. Really thinking a business end of a shotgun might be better than putting up with all of this shit.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't have insurance when I was diagnosed... So far Medicaid has covered everything except ~$250 of the bill for my most recent PET scan.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Brintellix has beenworking pretty well for me. Side effects pretty mild compared to ssri's, but it kills my sex drive just as well.

Pretty miserable still, but I've got an uninsured friend several hundred grand in debt with really bad Krohn's who can't hold down a job because she passes several kidney stones a week, so that keeps things in perspective.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I have bipolar--does that count as depression? Thats half of bipolar.

I take Lithium and Abilify, and can tell when I miss meds--Take it from someone who relies much more on meds than simple depression (I know depression isn't simple, nor is it a lesser disorder, but its simpler to treat in the sense that theres one angle--I don't want to offend anyone here but still get my point across?) take your meds every day, at the same damn time. Its the only way they work to their peak.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone have this issue then?

Bipolar has ups and downs, and given that, every emotion I have is seen as my disorder swinging one way or another by certain people. If I'm happy? I'm manic. if I'm in a more serious mood? I'm depressed. If I'm a normal level of angry (fuck this fucking server, I need to take 5 and hit it with a clear head in a minute)? I'm swinging out of control.

Its frustrating as hell to have what I consider normal emotions labelled as my disorder--I am NOT my disorder. My disorder does NOT define me.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
My wife has a bipolar disorder and it's been exhausting. The way you describe yourself, Big, fits my wife exactly too. She's been going through an episode for the past few months. Over the last week she seems a bit more stable so I'm hoping she's finally turned the corner on this episode but I won't exhale until I'm sure.