Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

Hrmm, I guess thats all we have for benchmarks so far, so I cant be too picky, but I'd really like to see a Ryzen bench vs the current gen of Intel CPUs(7th gen), not intel processors that are 2 years old at this point (6xxx line) and also a bench vs the common Intel CPUs that most people use for gaming, i.e. i7 7700k, i7 6700k, etc. Its rare to see anyone use a 6800k or 6900k in a gaming build, those aren't ideal for that situation, with their higher number of cores, but lower clock speeds compared to 7700k, 6700k, etc.

I mean, a 6800k was already ~5% slower than a 6700k in gaming benchmarks

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Hrmm, I guess thats all we have for benchmarks so far, so I cant be too picky, but I'd really like to see a Ryzen bench vs the current gen of Intel CPUs(7th gen), not intel processors that are 2 years old at this point (6xxx line) and also a bench vs the common Intel CPUs that most people use for gaming, i.e. i7 7700k, i7 6700k, etc. Its rare to see anyone use a 6800k or 6900k in a gaming build, those aren't ideal for that situation, with their higher number of cores, but lower clock speeds compared to 7700k, 6700k, etc.
the embargo isn't officially up until March 2nd (release date)

W

Wrathcaster

Is that...is that AIM on your desktop? I didnt even realize that was still a thing!

It is! A few people I play Gemstone with use AIM to communicate OOC. I suppose I could use Trillian or something, but it's not that big of a deal. I started using it again a few months ago, brought back old memories. Considering I've been playing a 30 year old game for super nostalgia, I felt like it was appropriate.

I'm surprised no one gave me shit for having Cheat Engine on my desktop.

Oh, and I still haven't calibrated it very well. With lights off it's a LITTLE better, but Jysin's picked up on what got it for me: the couch color. I'll keep working on it, maybe through Windows or Nvidia's display stuff. I'm not really into buying a hardware calibrator but thanks for the suggestion.

Appreciate the help. I do like the monitors, I just didn't realize that, barring some sort of damage, two devices could differ like this given the same settings.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

I mean, a 6800k was already ~5% slower than a 6700k in gaming benchmarks
Are you saying these Chinese counterfeit results aren't even worthwhile to read?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Still, if those are real, comparing a $500 proc to a $1K proc and getting better/samey results is still fucking nice for AMD which has not even come close in many generations.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Leakers are fudging comparisons yah, as per AMD instructions Im sure. But most people did not care to upgrade from 2 year old Intel CPUs to Skylake+ so it makes perfect sense to target the bigger part of the market :). Let Intel peddle their old rewarmed recycled stuff themselves.

Leaked Ryzen benchmarks look very decent. Though some synthetic benches make Ryzen look overwpowered wrt to actual perf because of bigger L2 512 kb cache per Ryzen core compared to 256 for Intel.

Leaked power efficiency @ wall looks amazing if true. Huge Intel process advantage virtually nullified for most part, for first time ever?

This link has some interesting bits about Ryzen "Downcore" BIOS options: AMD Ryzen Rumors, Part 3 | VideoCardz.com

Ryzen has groups of 4 cores (compute clusters that share cache). Seems like you can indeed shut off cores in various combinations to tweak performance and overclocking depending on your workload (games, rendering, HEDT). Nice 2 in 1 platform compared to Intel.
  1. Reconfigure in BIOS for 4C 8T
  2. Boot and OC it nicely for games to get equivalent of i7 7700k+.
  3. Reconfigure in BIOS for 8C 16T
  4. Reboot to do rendering or something heavier for workstation/compiling/video editing. Equivalent of i7 6900k+
Flexible. This might make 8 core chips a really good investment if they overclock well with cores shut off. AMD Window for maximum profit will not last long as we can probably expect Coffee lake chips to get BIOS upgrades for similar functionality soon hehe. Intel has cash to burn to fire up their Fabs for updates unlike AMD.

Vega Gfx card stuff Tuesday.
Ryzen Reviews Thursday.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Still, if those are real, comparing a $500 proc to a $1K proc and getting better/samey results is still fucking nice for AMD which has not even come close in many generations.
The comparisons to the $1000 E series processors that sell maybe a handful of units are pretty useless to be honest. The million dollar question is will AMD's comparative offering beat out Intel's gaming flagship which is the 7700k. With the 7700k now selling for $300 that would mean that AMD's $330 R7 1700 is going to have to shred the 7700k for the "INTEL BTFO" narrative to hold up.

edit: I guess a win from the R5 1600X would also hold up the narrative but that is still a ways out and if AMD's 8 core offerings don't impress then they lose all the momentum and hype that's currently surrounding.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The comparisons to the $1000 E series processors that sell maybe a handful of units are pretty useless to be honest. The million dollar question is will AMD's comparative offering beat out Intel's gaming flagship which is the 7700k. With the 7700k now selling for $300 that would mean that AMD's $330 R7 1700 is going to have to shred the 7700k for the "INTEL BTFO" narrative to hold up.

I agree and Im not trusting any "leaks" until I see some 3rd party reviews the 2nd.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The 7700k has all of the Vt instructions also.

Looks like I am building a dual 7700k system for 3 gaming machines in one.

EDIT: Well color me embarrassed you can't dual socket an 1151.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea there's almost 0 (actually 0 maybe?) dual socket support for consumer level sockets.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Hehe, even on the high end CAD machines we run here at work, our systems guy installed some software to test what we actually use, resource wise in our systems back when he was given a task to order us new CAD machines. And all the shit we do on a daily basis its not even remotely taxing our single xenon proc. Its all about that ram baby, and the sweet spot is 16 gigs.

The only systems that get the dual xenons and 32 gigs ram is the FEM machines, which do crunching of finite element analysis, shit like head impact, or strength and rigidity and crash simulation they set up models and run them overnight it takes so long to crunch.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Why would you want a dual socket for a gaming rig? Absolutely 0 benefit at a far greater cost
I am going to run three gaming machines at the same time on it.

Two will be lesser powered VM's for the kids to run steam links on.

If I do it right then it's cheaper than three systems by a bit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
See? Alredy a good thing, lol. I might just upgrade my old 2500k, lol. Pick up a 6600k for $179?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That's Microcenter prices. Not actual MSRP, case or tray prices.

Microcenter has always used CPUs as something close to loss-leaders.

Bad blog is bad.
Amazon prices haven't changed that I have seen so I predict this is reality. That being said some of those drops are significant meaning Intel might have pushed something that all the retailers haven't done yet.

We will see in the coming days.