Desktop Computers

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
who the hell knows the model. It's from Creative,...but it seems like a huge hassle to find out
Easy to check.
You can tweak and fiddle with sound & speaker wires, esp near any bends. Might be wire or speaker plug itself if you can induce more or less noise with wiggles. If you or a friend are electronically inclined and handy with a soldering iron that can be a few minutes fix.

Othewise it is *probably* the power supply.
  1. Check if the power supply is an external one that plugs into wall and into the back of your speakers.
  2. If it is, get the Part number and # amps it is rated for, voltage off its back.... or ..... Google the part numbers to look up the specs.
  3. Get a generic replacement from local electronics shop or order one online.
Depends how patient and thrifty you are and if you like their sound enough to risk trying to wait for a replacement power supply.
If you take your speakers and power supply and specs to an electronics shop or Radio Shack 99% of time they will let you try a new power supply in store with your speakers & an iPod before buying.

I have some old & expensive speakers I really like that a co-worker wanted to throw out because of similar issues. I got a cheapo 6$ replacement PS first. It worked for a half year then died. Next one I invested in a better power supply for $25 at the local store.

W

Wrathcaster

I recently replaced my ancient monitor with a newer 144hz monitor and have been using the older one as a second display to help with research, but it's a different aspect ratio and kinda crappy, and had a gift card given to me via amazon so I decided to buy an additional monitor and see how I'd like it.

I've got two of these:

Acer GN246HL Black 24" Gaming Monitors, 144 Hz 1ms (GTG), LED Backlight LCD Monitor

Problem is, the colors on the two are slightly off. Even if I set them identically through the panel on the monitor, the one I use on my right looks just a bit more washed out versus the one I just bought. I'll attach an image if you want, but I'm not sure if it'll be high quality enough for you guys to be able to tell the difference.

Any suggestions on how to manage this or software you can recommend? I've never had two displays before where I actually cared about image quality. It's not a HUGE deal, I'll probably only play strategy games on both displays but it would be nice to figure this out. The slight difference bugs me.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wrathcaster

Why buy 2 144hz monitors? Just curious

Oh, I didn't set out planning to buy two 144hz monitors, just got one for gaming initially. I started using my old monitor to do database searches and go through articles while I wrote, realized how much it helped me. The old one was a different aspect ratio and the difference in resolution really bugged me and messed with my eyes after long periods of time.

I decided to get a second Acer GN246HL because I liked the first I purchased and wanted both to be identical. Plus, they're not super expensive and I had a gift card left over from Christmas.

As to how I decided on that model particularly? Wanted something relatively inexpensive but was interested in trying a 144hz monitor, went through a bunch of reviews and picked it. It should be pretty apparent, I hope, that I'm not exactly an expert on monitors, much less dual monitors.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
*edit*

Are you possibly viewing them at different angles? They are TN panels after all and will color shift from different angles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
W

Wrathcaster

I've tried to get them as close as possible to the same angle, moved em around a bit too. I took a pic with my s6 for comparison. Seems like no matter the positioning, one's off.
lMMogjN.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
could be wrong, but right side seems....dimmer? like it has more yellow or something to it

• 1Like
W

Wrathcaster

could be wrong, but right side seems....dimmer? like it has more yellow or something to it

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me. I was hoping phone cam could pick that up.

I'm a bit hesitant to fiddle with individual color sliders until I get a bit more guidance on this. Wondering if maybe one of the monitors has something wrong with it, or just something to be expected?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that's what it looks like to me. I was hoping phone cam could pick that up.

I'm a bit hesitant to fiddle with individual color sliders until I get a bit more guidance on this. Wondering if maybe one of the monitors has something wrong with it, or just something to be expected?
I would suggest just fiddling with the brightness and contrast first, before touching any colour settings. I have 2 different monitors with same panels inside and manage to get them nearly identical without any colour tweaking.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Is a yellowish light bulb striking one screen at a more different angle than the other?

You will never calibrate them exactly the same if a yellowish light source is striking one at a different angle than the other, and I see yellow light striking the desk surface.

Replace your yellow light sources with white light sources.

• 1Like
W

Wrathcaster

Is a yellowish light bulb striking one screen at a more different angle than the other?

You will never calibrate them exactly the same if a yellowish light source is striking one at a different angle than the other, and I see yellow light striking the desk surface.

Nice spotting that! I hadn't even considered the lighting, though in the dark it does seem still be a bit off. I'll fiddle with the brightness/contrast some and change out my lighting.

Other than that, any other tips on a dual monitor setup? Games particularly suited to it?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

What do you have against yellow light

• 1Like

Apollo64

N00b
I've tried to get them as close as possible to the same angle, moved em around a bit too. I took a pic with my s6 for comparison. Seems like no matter the positioning, one's off.View attachment 123358

Best way to calibrate two monitors to look the same is to buy a colorimeter, something like an Xrite i1 Display Pro for fuss-free results (a bit expensive though). Or you can buy something cheaper, like a Spyder 5 Express and use the free DisplayCAL software instead.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've tried to get them as close as possible to the same angle, moved em around a bit too. I took a pic with my s6 for comparison. Seems like no matter the positioning, one's off.View attachment 123358

Yea, even the phone pic it seems the two couches are entirely different colors.

I don't buy into the ambient light argument. You can easily test that by turning the lights off and viewing the monitors in the dark.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Nice spotting that! I hadn't even considered the lighting, though in the dark it does seem still be a bit off. I'll fiddle with the brightness/contrast some and change out my lighting.

Other than that, any other tips on a dual monitor setup? Games particularly suited to it?

I would suggest you enjoy it for gaming for the little amount of time it will be enjoyable :p I did a triple monitor setup for a year and now i just use an UW 34 inch 4k and i dont think i can go back to double monitors - Sure its useful for multitasking, but for gaming its something i got over pretty quickly.