Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Well the majority of my work is for an ISP and at home i do alot of en/transcoding as well as run my server off my PC - I do mild gaming but like i said its just for WoW and maybe Ghost Recon in a bit. A large part of it is me wanting to build a new machine and since i currently have no /reason/ to build intel i can just build AMD and so long as the 1800x out performs my 4790k then i see no issue at all.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Well the majority of my work is for an ISP and at home i do alot of en/transcoding as well as run my server off my PC - I do mild gaming but like i said its just for WoW and maybe Ghost Recon in a bit. A large part of it is me wanting to build a new machine and since i currently have no /reason/ to build intel i can just build AMD and so long as the 1800x out performs my 4790k then i see no issue at all.
based on benchmarks we're seeing, the 1800x would be a step down from the 4790x in terms in gaming.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
He doesn't game

He just wants to build a new pc to do the things
well he said he plays wow and Tom Clancy so I felt obliged to point hat out. but yeah if he's doing a lot of heavy encoding then he's probably better off with 1800x.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah not hurting on the $ just feel like going a different route? The 7700k performs better in alot of benchmarks especially where gaming is considered but i still do the majority of my gaming on my xbox since my peeps dont buy gaming rigs nor game on anything other than consoles. I mean how often does anyone actually push their system? Witcher 3 was the only thing i can think of and that was only b/c i was playing @4k. Maybe next year il find yet another excuse to set money on fire and build another machine and do intel again.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So reviews are all over the place. Seen some that have it neck and neck to a 7700k in gaming and others were the 7700k has a 10% solid lead.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I liked the Anand review - For the most part AMD got alot right, and some wrong, and the wrong is obviously on the gaming side. However even then the 7700k can outpace it in some aspects and its cheaper than the 1800x so its hard to tell exactly where things will go, its almost worth it to not do anything and wait on Zen2 but thats likely a ways away.

The AMD Zen and Ryzen 7 Review: A Deep Dive on 1800X, 1700X and 1700

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Whats the best way to clean a mouse of grime and gunk? I'm thinking water/toothpaste then wait 2 weeks to ensure its completely dry.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Rubbing alcohol. 90+%.

If you want to do the water/let it dry thing, it needs to be distilled water.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I did want amd to succeed for economical reasons but they didn't.

Yeah I'm an Intel fanboy but I have had good amd systems in the past

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Some Zen - Microsoft OS technical issues are causing weird performance anomalies. Should just require Microsoft patches to the scheduler & some tweaking from game vendors.
  1. thread balancing (easy Operating System patches)
  2. SMT issues (tricky fixes or Zen+)
  3. memory timing & BIOS (easy BIOS patches)
Another very thorough review Windows & Linux: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, 1700 im Test: König in Anwendungen, Prinz in Spielen

Linux & heavily threaded and server type workloads seem excellent. Servers will certainly make a splash.

A bit of a shame they rushed the desktops but it was a decent call really, considering they had nothing at all to sell before. The new Ryzens are an excellent match for Intel 6c and 8c parts aside from *some* regressing gaming configurations (which should be fixable in OS/bios). Funny how much performance has climbed since the conservative predictions of a couple of months ago and the early 40% + IPC over Bulldozer targets.

The platform has time to mature a little before next batch of 4 and 6 core Ryzens and Vega APUs.

Finally good competition and fun stuff ahead for all of 2017 and 2018 :)

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Some Zen - Microsoft OS technical issues are causing weird performance anomalies. Should just require Microsoft patches to the scheduler & some tweaking from game vendors.
  1. thread balancing (easy Operating System patches)
  2. SMT issues (tricky fixes or Zen+)
  3. memory timing & BIOS (easy BIOS patches)
Another very thorough review Windows & Linux: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, 1700 im Test: König in Anwendungen, Prinz in Spielen

Linux & heavily threaded and server type workloads seem excellent. Servers will certainly make a splash.

A bit of a shame they rushed the desktops but it was a decent call really, considering they had nothing at all to sell before. The new Ryzens are an excellent match for Intel 6c and 8c parts aside from *some* regressing gaming configurations (which should be fixable in OS/bios). Funny how much performance has climbed since the conservative predictions of a couple of months ago and the early 40% + IPC over Bulldozer targets.

The platform has time to mature a little before next batch of 4 and 6 core Ryzens and Vega APUs.

Finally good competition and fun stuff ahead for all of 2017 and 2018 :)
the idea that everything wrong with Zen can be handwaved away with a few patches seems wildly optimistic.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm such a cheap ass. On PC Partpicker, and I'm like naww, I don't need i7 , i5 probably fine. CPU Cooler? Just use my old one. Hard drives? I have hard drives, why do I need new? Lol...

If you go with the i7 post what you put together. Looking at build guides for current i7 systems on PCPartPicker too.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you go with the i7 post what you put together. Looking at build guides for current i7 systems on PCPartPicker too.
There are not a lot of ways you can differ in builds this way if you go with what's popular, and in the PC parts world, if it's popular it's because it's good. Just decide whether you are going air cooling or water cooling, and the rest is all pretty much normal. The case will be personal preference for looks, but even that has some for sure standouts.

Intel CPU
nVidia GPU
Samsung SSD
RAM has some options I suppose
Gold or higher rated PSU
Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock mobo and you'll be fine

The above is gonna make up 90% of all popular builds I feel. Easy peasy.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
are EVGA power supplies good? if I'm going to upgrade some shit I want to get rid of my current non-modular power supply and put a new one in and it seems like EVGA has overtaken the market. i've always used their GPUs but never tried a power supply.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There are not a lot of ways you can differ in builds this way if you go with what's popular, and in the PC parts world, if it's popular it's because it's good. Just decide whether you are going air cooling or water cooling, and the rest is all pretty much normal. The case will be personal preference for looks, but even that has some for sure standouts.

Intel CPU
nVidia GPU
Samsung SSD
RAM has some options I suppose
Gold or higher rated PSU
Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock mobo and you'll be fine

The above is gonna make up 90% of all popular builds I feel. Easy peasy.

Yeah I've built tons of systems over the years, just like looking at what others are doing and sanity check my research against data points.

For what I need I'll probably just tend toward a 7700k and ASUS Z270-A. At least that is my starting point. Have everything else to reuse.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
are EVGA power supplies good? if I'm going to upgrade some shit I want to get rid of my current non-modular power supply and put a new one in and it seems like EVGA has overtaken the market. i've always used their GPUs but never tried a power supply.
The seasonic prime series just trashes every other high end PSU on the market currently.
Conclusion - Seasonic Flagship PRIME 850W Power Supply Review

It comes in 650, 750 and 850w.

Paul's Thoughts:

I'm not sure it possible to overstate just how good the PRIME series is after seeing the PRIME 750W and now the PRIME 850W (OK, maybe the [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]breakfast in bed[/bcolor] thing mentioned the last time we saw a PRIME unit would be a bit overstating things if we used it today). However, what makes this more interesting is how Seasonic has done this by seemingly bucking some current trends. After the PRIME 750W review, some people may have questioned why Seasonic's new flagship product line is not a "digital" product like other companies have been pushing. That is certainly understandable as companies that sell "digital" units have had their marketing, their advertising, and their reps working over time to extol the virtues of "digital" power supplies the last couple years. Like any other case, when someone is trying that hard to tell you why you should buy something rather than just putting up, there is a massive oversell going on. And, indeed, this has been true as we have seen previously in our reviews [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]of[/bcolor] [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]these[/bcolor] [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]products[/bcolor] as none of the aspects of "digital" units quite measure up to what the bill of goods said. So, if it wasn't apparent last time when we saw the PRIME 750W, the PRIME 850W shows us just how good a product can be without resorting to those kinds of gimmicks when the vendor is truly capable. With the PRIME 850W, Seasonic doesn't hide behind this feature or that feature or what not. They simply show extraordinary engineering and manufacturing prowess can result in the best 850W product we have ever seen. This is going to be hard to top no matter if the people pushing "digital" units get their acts sorted out or not. If you want a good quality power supply, the PRIME series is what you should be looking for. Not some flashy fan color scheme, not some gimmicky "I can change my OCP limits," not some "I can tweet my power usage." No, THIS is what a power supply is supposed to do, and damn if the PRIME series doesn't just do it better than anyone else right now.

The Bottom Line

Due to our more "modern" and "sensible" era of "inclusion" and "political correctness," where we don't want to "hurt people's feelings" by telling them that they are not in fact a "special flower" and everyone gets a "participation trophy," we will refrain from comparing the PRIME 850W to any other 850W units we have reviewed. Wait, who am I kidding, it says [H]ardOCP at the top of the page. So, congratulations [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]everyone else[/bcolor], you have been relegated to whatever place that is when you don't win by the PRIME 850W! And the shellacking you took made it embarrassing. From the PRIME 850W's outstanding built quality and design, to the voltage regulation that is something so devastating you just don't see things like that done in polite company, to the DC Output Quality that makes your head spin the competition didn't have a chance. It was like someone fielded the New England Patriots against a Pop Warner team. It was brutal. Realistically then, about the only issue we find with the PRIME 850W today is that it makes it hard to recommend the truly outstanding PRIME 750W now. True, [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]at $199.99 with Free Shipping[/bcolor] you are paying more for this unit that you will for most any other current 850W unit on the market, but you are getting the Patriots not a Pop Warner team for your system. You could save $20 and drop down to the PRIME 750W if the $199.99 is hard to swallow but, at this point, $199.99 gets you the absolute best power supply we have ever seen. So, you might as well go whole hog if you've read this far into the review today and get the PRIME 850W.