Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So all this talk about computer components in the past week, gave me a woody. Anyway, so last year I built my 12 yr old a PC 6600K and RX480 1080p build. Anyway my older kid is jealous now. So I have this 2500K system from like 6-7 yrs ago that I can give him, we just use it as a juke box mostly now. Its only going to be for 1080p type shit, he plays mostly steam FPS junk. Should I drop the extra $350 for a 6700K and new mo-bo (So like $550 with the video card as well) or should I just get the RX480 for the 2500k and call it good? Its got a 5850 in it right now, lol. I think its OCed to like 4.4 or 4.5 if memory serves me.
Your 2500k is going to be just fine. It's what I've got, and new PSU and GTX 970 last year bumped me up to be able to play anything I want just fine. I'm the same way, and all this talk has got me excited to build something new, but at this point I know I don't need it as I don't play any thing on the PC right now that requires it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Plus he does most of his gaming on xbox anyway. I think hes just jelly and rustled that the young one got a pc and he didnt. But the younger dude does his streaming and shit and actually uses it.

I have another system right now an i5 4670K or whatever it was, 4th or 5th gen? that I use for gaming. Its got a R380x in it I think. I could give him that one but fuck that, that shit is mine. Im going to transfer all our music to that one and use it for jukebox + games instead.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Think I'm just going to order this and maybe pick up the Asus PG279Q. Not sure I'm worried about 4K 60Hz+ right now:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($357.01 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($155.03 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($138.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $689.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 15:56 EST-0500

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Oops yeah that should be the 720, I knew that in my head but clicked the wrong one. Thanks for the heads up.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Might get an M.2 for a new OS drive also and just move my existing RAID SSDs to a general game drive and still have my 2 TB d/l drive.

Aaaaaaannnndddd if I can offload the 980Ti for like $300 grab a 1080Ti.

Fuck this is getting expensive.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Because 5 years ago I had too much money and wanted to try it out. Not saying it was worth it, but it happened.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
finally got Nougat pushed to my phone a mere 7 months after it was released.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So this is a build I'm looking at for around $1000. I struggled trying to figure out a good motherboard at I would like to go with a Z270. Thoughts?

Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X, 200R ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Do you want fancy LEDs and built in water cooling, pump headers, and need super crazy OC potential? Probably not. My ASUS Prime Z270 will be here tomorrow. It mostly came down to not needing a ton of built in ports, wifi, LED controllers, etc... Just something to plug my cards in to and go. It was only like $140? I thing. But I'm an Asus fan boy for the most part.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So this is a build I'm looking at for around $1000. I struggled trying to figure out a good motherboard at I would like to go with a Z270. Thoughts?

Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X, 200R ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker
That's where I would struggle as well. Motherboards are the one thing that are kind of a mystery to me in terms of what ones to get. I want OC potential, as I'd get the "k" version of a chip, but other than that, just as Intrinsic Intrinsic said, there isn't anything else I need fancy on it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're doing absurd shit. If you're air cooling a processor, using two sticks of RAM and a single video card there's no reason for a more expensive motherboard

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's where I would struggle as well. Motherboards are the one thing that are kind of a mystery to me in terms of what ones to get. I want OC potential, as I'd get the "k" version of a chip, but other than that, just as Intrinsic Intrinsic said, there isn't anything else I need fancy on it.

Well they usually come in like 3 flavors. The XTreme Gaming Hercules ones, they have all the bells and whistles. Like dual or even quad video card support, etc... $250-$350

Then there is your mid level boards which usually sport one to two video card slots, $100-200

Both the above usually support overclocking

Then there is the budget boards, no frills no OC and only basic shit. $50-100 some dont even have graphics slots.

I usually stay in the mid range boards since im not into running dual video cards or any of that shit , around $150ish. And if you stick with the good ones which are MSI, Gygabyte, AsRock, Asus, you should be golden.

Only thing to keep in mind is using the latest chipset, which usually hits at about the time the new gen processors hit. You usually want to use the latest chipset. Which for the latest gen i5-i7 is Z270 so they take advantage of all the new shit, if any, the new processors have.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Holy son of a bitch this Windows 10 Media Creation tool is slower than a Strom Thurman bowel movement. Can I just torrent this shit and make a bootable thumb drive? Guess I could dig up my Windows 7 CDs but then I'd have to go through the upgrade process again. Really sucking the excitement out of putting my new toys together.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Holy son of a bitch this Windows 10 Media Creation tool is slower than a Strom Thurman bowel movement. Can I just torrent this shit and make a bootable thumb drive? Guess I could dig up my Windows 7 CDs but then I'd have to go through the upgrade process again. Really sucking the excitement out of putting my new toys together.
It shouldn't be that slow.

I made a bootable thumb drive from the tool just the other day, on my extremely underpowered work-issued laptop, and it took very little time.