Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Seems like a ton of $ for a low performance desktop. $1k plus you need to buy memory and SSD? That's absurd when you start pricing out desktop equivalents.

My HTPC uses an Intel NUC from a few generations back. I love it. I just think they have lost their mind on the pricing of this new generation.
I think the 799 model is a lot more useful than the 999 model.

The form factor is a big deal. The fact that it has all sorts of features like nvme raid, dual thunderbolt, dual NICs, is rather insane in that form factor. I like the idea of using it as a portable VMware lab and other similar purposes for work. Maybe have a variety of images I can load up on it for different purposes.

Also the fact that it can run 9 monitors off the ports it has is a big deal to use it in video installations. There's a whole lot of projects you can do with something like that in that form factor.

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
A buddy of mine wants to build a pc. He picked this stuff out on pc partpicker so I wanted to see what yall thought. Critique away please. Only question I really have is if there's a prebuilt machine from somewhere that could do all of what he wants for less. He's never built his own machine but he'd like to get into it.

Uses
- Home office stuff (excel, etc.), Photo Editing (high definition DSLR with photoshop), some Video Editing. Some light multi-tasking, like streaming music, while editing photos and videos. NO GAMING and NO AUTOCAD.

Budget - ~$500 (before Windows 10)

Parts List
Motherboard - No clue? PCpartpicker recommended this for entry level "gaming" device - MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard at $65

CPU - Any need to go with a i5 processor for the photo editing or will a i3 or less do the job? PCpartpicker seems to think less will be fine - Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor - $83

Memory - With externals being so cheap and flexible, is there a need to go overboard with the internal memory? PCpartpicker shows Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - $88 (this seems pretty standard)

Storage - You have sold me on the SSD. They are pricier, but seem worth it. Patriot - Ignite 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $127

Video Card - With the photo/video editing part, I am assuming I will need something more than the internal graphics card, but maybe not. Is this one for a entry gaming machine too flashy for what I need? Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card - $163

Power Supply - Any suggestions? Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $40

Case - Pretty self-explanatory. Apevia - X-QTIS-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case - $30

Cooling - I assume I do not need this for my needs (not gaming).

Anything I am missing?

TOTAL COST = ~$590

Argarth

On the verandah
My only thoughts would be:

- Don't scrimp on the CPU (you mentioned photo AND video editing) if it's within budget.
- What monitor/resolution is in the package?

Kiki

Log Wizard
Get a quadcore (you want this to carry you for a few years) and a samsung ssd. Everything else is fine.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
SO my little company needed new Computers after convincing my boss relying on 10 + year old core 2 duos and ancient 10 year old HD's as your multimillion dollar company is retarded,

I was gonna just make Build the machines but holy shit this is heresy some of these premade prices. have to be loss leaders. especially when Rx 580s go for so much.

Over the Sumer I got 2 Ryzen 5 1400 8gb ddr 4 24000, 1tb HD 7200 rppm, and an RX 580 4gb for $650ea at best buy..

2 Months ago for $820ea I got us 3 Ryzen 7 1700x with full 8gb RX 580s factory OCed at 1390, same HD and RAM as last ones bought. But I added SSD for about 100 bucks ea, I plan on adding another 8gb ram to some once the price goes down so they are at 16. They even came with nice 90 bucks Phantek Cases and Decent 90-100 buck b350m MSI MBs...Decent modular Bronze 80+ Power Sources from Corsair also. They even came with DVD RW drives i think Blue rays...

Overall I feel like we got 3 high endish gaming/work PCs for under 1k total (assuming we upgrade to 16g ram) and 650 for some very nice highmid-high end gaming machines..

The great thing is my boss doesn't give s a shit about gfx tooo much I'm considering trading those extra rx 580s For say some lower end card's and card, or Crossfire 2 on my gome gaming machines. The SSD+ Ryzen 1400 and 17000x has his just ecstatic...

Now maybe after looking for ages for sales i could find a computer with nearly as good specs at those prices. version, but with the nice Warranty Cyperpower PC tech support for life... I even got like 300 bucks in best buy dollars to basically get all the SSD for free... plus no need to buy a windows license and less work actually putting together PC.

Last edited:

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
BTW if anyone is still looking for a new desktop these two computer still often go on sale. Here's the one i got on sale for 650 over the summer. I recently saw it for the same rice. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

Herere's the really good oen fi u wcan get it for on sale at 820 as the occasionally do. There's two versions, one with 16gb ram and 1700 another with the 1700x instead of 1700 so take your pick.. I personally went with 1700 x as i suspect RAM prices to go down 50% this year and 8gb is still usable.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
SO my little company needed new Computers after convincing my boss relying on 10 + year old core 2 duos and ancient 10 year old HD's as your multimillion dollar company is retarded,

I was gonna just make Build the machines but holy shit this is heresy some of these premade prices. have to be loss leaders. especially when Rx 580s go for so much.

Over the Sumer I got 2 Ryzen 5 1400 8gb ddr 4 24000, 1tb HD 7200 rppm, and an RX 580 4gb for $650ea at best buy..

2 Months ago for $820ea I got us 3 Ryzen 7 1700x with full 8gb RX 580s factory OCed at 1390, same HD and RAM as last ones bought. But I added SSD for about 100 bucks ea, I plan on adding another 8gb ram to some once the price goes down so they are at 16. They even came with nice 90 bucks Phantek Cases and Decent 90-100 buck b350m MSI MBs...Decent modular Bronze 80+ Power Sources from Corsair also. They even came with DVD RW drives i think Blue rays...

Overall I feel like we got 3 high endish gaming/work PCs for under 1k total (assuming we upgrade to 16g ram) and 650 for some very nice highmid-high end gaming machines..

The great thing is my boss doesn't give s a shit about gfx tooo much I'm considering trading those extra rx 580s For say some lower end card's and card, or Crossfire 2 on my gome gaming machines. The SSD+ Ryzen 1400 and 17000x has his just ecstatic...

Now maybe after looking for ages for sales i could find a computer with nearly as good specs at those prices. version, but with the nice Warranty Cyperpower PC tech support for life... I even got like 300 bucks in best buy dollars to basically get all the SSD for free... plus no need to buy a windows license and less work actually putting together PC.
always more ram for work pcs

ppl don't close shit when they work, and they also sometimes make multi megabyte excel files, shit... put 32 in there if you really don't want no headache

16+ g of ram is a must
ssd is a must

for work pcs.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I normally agree, but i feel with SSD and a good VRAM on card it's Less important for overkill ram IE 16g + when these guys are using it to watch ESPN/sports at work whilst do some spreadsheet work heh.

At least while ram prices are still so high. once 8gb sticks are down to like 50-60 i'm gonna go wild and just not worry about my machines for 5 years.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sounding more like gaming PC's than anything else, for a work place I guess I'm old school. There is a reason they lack sex appeal, they are standardized, so if one part breaks you can get a replacement without modifying a standard desktop image for drivers etc. Plus they are meant to be low power as they will likely never been turned off. Onboard video should do fine for work, people may be less incline to game on the company dollar assuming they care about stuff like that.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Finally got my new PC in and built. I'm just waiting on a new monitor now. Disregard the shit keyboard I had plugged in while setting it up.
AdoxlmJ.jpg

qwaxIn5.jpg

Now I can finally play Everquest at 60FPS
GoqwU4F.png

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's apparently all but impossible to buy high end video cards right now

Edit: Overclock your processor you heathen

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It's apparently all but impossible to buy high end video cards right now

Edit: Overclock your processor you heathen

I bought my 1080ti just before the price hike, and they've gone up to almost double the price I paid.

What the actual fuck man? Is it really all crypto?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Sucks a lot. Guess the question of do I wait for next gen got taken out of my hands, looks like I'm waiting. I was actually just going to buy a 1080ti and get a monitor whenever, oh well.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
wow i had no idea the prices shot up so crazy... you figured after the first massive price hike supply would have caught up by now.

I think we have reached the point i would be dumb to not sell my extra RX 580s after keeping them during the last big price spike to $450+. Getting them for the work PC's was a bit a joke/reward for forcing me to keep alive those miserable core 2 duos 5 years beyond the sell by date. Hopefully the boss gives me a percentage or something.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Had no idea the GPU market went down the shitter as fast as it did. I built my new machine back like right before Thanksgiving and paid $515 for a 1080. Now i'm seeing them above 900 assuming you can even find them, so fucking glad I didn't wait till after the new year like I was originally planning.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user