Desktop Computers

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Daly that looks pretty sick.

I actually considered getting a Titan the other day since the Nvidia site had them at 1138 or something, but that's out of stock too. This shits ridiculous. They need to get the fuck on with making more video cards

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Daly that looks pretty sick.

I actually considered getting a Titan the other day since the Nvidia site had them at 1138 or something, but that's out of stock too. This shits ridiculous. They need to get the fuck on with making more video cards
It's not their fault really. Retailers need to limit sales to people

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
LMAO seems I struck a chord

Not sure if anyone here has tried this benchmark Octane 2.0 JavaScript Benchmark but it can be handy for comparing pretty much anything with a browser
New build (i7-7700/8GB ddr4) = 46152
Old build (i5-3570k/16GB ddr3) = 32981

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is why there are shortages

mzl3epfcjsd01.jpeg

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That even legal to have some shit like that in your home? What is power consumption on something like that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I wouldn't be surprised it it was another country .Just imagine each card is pulling ~300watts

i wouldn't be surprised if we get news that bitfarming houses get raided, b/c the FBI looked on their app that sees crazy heat signatures coming from a house and assume it's a weed growhouse.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I bet all those people who did crazy shit like buy a couple dozen 1080ti's are squirming a bit right now. Prices on parts have been so ridiculous it was cheaper for me to buy a microcenter prebuilt than build my own.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They really should make some sort of non-consumer gpu for the processing power so the entities are separate. Definitely a market gap for someone to come in there. Hell even amd/Nvidia could do it

Louis

Trakanon Raider
As someone that knows nothing about amd gpus, what would the equivlanet of a 1060/1070 be on the amd side?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Perhaps high end Volta will obsolete some mid range cards in mining. Otherwise buckle in for more of the same until the next coin bust cycle.

Despite their PR lipservice and handwringing in public, it is to AMD's, NVIDIA's and their distributors' benefit to keep selling out cards regardless how many irate PC consumers there are. Lol, what are we gonna do? Buy an Intel GPU?

Producing mining only cards is far too great a risk. Too foolish for anyone to gamble with design & manufacturing when mining demand is so fickle. We really need more competition yep, but IP, silicon and engineering teams are all too expensive for any outside players to*just* hop in and design and produce competing cards whether for gfx or mining.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm suprised some businesses don't farm out some of their electrical overabundance so to speak in down times depending on their industry. I pay for 3 phase power at my house. It has a minimum amount which I have never come close to meeting so I basically have excess. I would imagine there are companies that are in "flux" or shut down for short periods that could mine or farm it out to someone else on site. Just rough thinking. I asked a friend of mine whose wife works for the electrical company where I have my house and her job is to set up companies and figure out how much power they will need and how best to supply that power and such. Anyway I asked him to ask her and he said her comment before even asking was "no comment". What I really want to know but afraid to ask is how she got the job with a home economics degree.

But someone mentioned to me even wal-mart online now has mining rigs for sale. I'm sure it's not wal-mart but someone selling thru wal-mart. But still. Won't be long GPU in bulk packs in strange places.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user