Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the irony is that if you play a lot of crappy MMOs they will actually benefit the most from a big CPU upgrade, since they're coded like layers of shit ontop of layers of shit and almost all those layers are CPU bound.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
My 980ti just fucking died. The fans just tick but don't spin, no video signal. Swapped the power port on the PSU and re-seated the card, nothing.

So now I have no way to replace it until nVidia or whoever release the next gen do I? I casually looked around at prices for 1070s and choked laughing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My 980ti just fucking died. The fans just tick but don't spin, no video signal. Swapped the power port on the PSU and re-seated the card, nothing.

So now I have no way to replace it until nVidia or whoever release the next gen do I? I casually looked around at prices for 1070s and choked laughing.
Outta warranty? Also, I was seeing on hardware swap that 970s were going for $150-$200. Not a great replacement but could get you by?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Outta warranty? Also, I was seeing on hardware swap that 970s were going for $150-$200. Not a great replacement but could get you by?
Looks like I'm in warranty for another 6 months, thanks for the suggestion. Sending an RMA request to EVGA now. I even have the original packing and the receipt (I don't know how I kept this in the box, normally this shit ends up on the floor of my car and then thrown out.)

Hello AMD 6950, my old friend. Time to accelerate some youtube videos once again...

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looks like I'm in warranty for another 6 months, thanks for the suggestion. Sending an RMA request to EVGA now. I even have the original packing and the receipt (I don't know how I kept this in the box, normally this shit ends up on the floor of my car and then thrown out.)

Hello AMD 6950, my old friend. Time to accelerate some youtube videos once again...
Haha, wow, that's the same exact card that I replaced with a 970! Was a great card for about 5 years, before I tried playing something other than WoW or Diablo, and realized how "old" it was.

I fell for the hype that 1070's weren't going to be available for a while after launch due to demand, and when available weren't going to be the $300 price range, so I bought my 970 just a month or so before 1070's came out. Regrets!!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

If there is a microcenter near you they will sell you a vid card if you can prove it's for gaming and not crypto.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yep, they sent me a 1080 to replace my 980 TI just like, 10 days ago. I still haven't mailed the 980ti back, I could almost get more for it on the secondary than the 600$ deposit they took for the 1080.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yep, they sent me a 1080 to replace my 980 TI just like, 10 days ago. I still haven't mailed the 980ti back, I could almost get more for it on the secondary than the 600$ deposit they took for the 1080.
Which model 1080 did you get?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got my 1070 a few months ago for $350. Now they are like $700-800. I hope this bitcoin shit goes away for good, fuck that shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user