Desktop Computers

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Looks fine to me. Price isn't bad due to gpu prices

Thanks - I’d been considering building but this looked like a solid deal, and I have some funds available from an old credit from Dell plus 12 months no interest made it appealing.

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I’m probably going to pull the 1 TB EVO out of my laptop and put it in this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If you need a new computer I'd take that yea. You'd be paying that much or more just for a 1080 trying to build one on your own right now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
If you need a new computer I'd take that yea. You'd be paying that much or more just for a 1080 trying to build one on your own right now.

I’m upgrading from an M18x R1 with i7 2920xm and dual 780m - I looked at the userbenchmark.com comparisons and was 1) surprised that my old laptop was still able to run current games (albeit not on ultra high), and 2) excited about how much better this desktop will run.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I’m upgrading from an M18x R1 with i7 2920xm and dual 780m - I looked at the userbenchmark.com comparisons and was 1) surprised that my old laptop was still able to run current games (albeit not on ultra high), and 2) excited about how much better this desktop will run.

Yea that should be a pretty significant upgrade. You'll very likely want some kid of SSD to boot off, but otherwise it looks totally fine.

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Dell has their 27” S271DG on sale for $399, QHD at 144hz with G-SYNC

I have an ASUS 27” QHD with a great pic, but no gsync and not 144hz... feedback?

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dell has their 27” S271DG on sale for $399, QHD at 144hz with G-SYNC

I have an ASUS 27” QHD with a great pic, but no gsync and not 144hz... feedback?

2 questions, what video card do you have and what games are you looking to play? I don't know that particular model, but specs seem good for that pricing.

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Have a system on the way with an i5-8400 and a 1080GTX. Wide variety of games, but I’m upgrading for FPS games first and foremost.

I pulled up some reviews and they were mixed, so I’ll probably hold off and do more research. I don’t need an upgrade but if it was a really great deal I’d jump.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Looks like they're shipping me a 1080. Bets on it also not working?

Replacing my psu as well, computer behaves a bit weird at times.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The standard internet answer, get both. Just kidding.

I'm trying to combine computers in a way. I have a computer a gaming GPU and another with a Quadro GPU. Anyone know of a motherboard or way to have both on a motherboard and the ability to switch, even switch with a reboot or something?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Picked up a Corsair H115i and the fastest DDR3 Vengeance memory I could find, of course the H115i didn't fit in my 300R case. I had to go to Fry's and buy another one and ended up with a 400C.

My power supply is a half modular pile of shit and has too many wires taking up too much space that I can't use and I'm having to run a power cable through the middle of the case to the mobo due to how short it is. What do you guys/gals recommend for a fully modular power supply, I don't want any wires that can't be removed.

Netting about 15-20fps more with the overclock so things are looking good. I just used the OC Genie, been a long time since I did some manual overclocking, might try to hit 4.5ghz.

Fadaar

That guy
God fucking dammit I was coming to this thread hoping for some good news, but nope. Buttfucked. Really don't want to have to buy a pre-built to get a 1080ti at a non-rape price but I'm starting to get impatient. The only real upside is I want to build a second tower with old hardware and load it up for hard drives as a server anyway, but unless I can find the exact box I want for $2k or maybe a little over I'll just hold out til Volta and be that asshole F5'ing for in stock. Basically I want a 8700K CPU, 1080ti video card, 32 GB RAM, and a 750+W PSU from a good company. Motherboard I'm pretty flexible on, there's so many good manufacturers out there but I've had great luck with Asrock and Asus in recent years. Don't want or need hard drives which is the biggest issue I'm having with pre-builts, can't seem to find any that don't force one on you.

Last edited:

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
I grabbed the Dell 27” today - the vast majority of the reviews were good, especially for gaming. Having two monitors will be nice anyway.