Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
That's what I am thinking as well but sitting at it might make all the difference

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It'd probably be dope for like Elite Dangerous and that's about it.

Or that Star... something game? Space Resident?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That's what I am thinking as well but sitting at it might make all the difference

The 49" I tested did not have enough curve. You were moving your head too much. Like you said, I want to sit in front of it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The only time I'd ever consider one of those super ultrawides would be for work purposes. For gaming, you're throwing so much GPU power into shit you can barely see out of your peripheral vision. It's twice the pixels of an equivalent 16:9 screen

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I definitely think it's Space Resident.

1578440526193.jpeg

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
HOLY SHIT. So get this...as I stated a few pages back I spent $1700 on this new computer I'm getting. Dell dropped their prices this week, I saw this same configuration come out to $1484. So no worries, Dell does a 30 day price guarantee. I call them and say "Hey, this is a lot cheaper this week, I'd like to take advantage of the price guarantee." Expecting to get around $275 back.

I get this Indian dude on the phone...he's like "I see this, yes, it's a lot cheaper this week. I'm seeing $1100." I was like "Um, yep, it's a lot cheaper this week!" He had to have messed up...I don't see where he was seeing $1100 possibly. So they're giving me a $600 refund. So, Ryzen 7 3700X, AMD 5700 XT, 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, liquid cooled, for ~$1100 from Alienware. Not bad.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 8 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only time I'd ever consider one of those super ultrawides would be for work purposes. For gaming, you're throwing so much GPU power into shit you can barely see out of your peripheral vision. It's twice the pixels of an equivalent 16:9 screen
We have the Dell 49 inch on demo here, the flat one. I couldn't even work on it, it's ridiculous

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
HOLY SHIT. So get this...as I stated a few pages back I spent $1700 on this new computer I'm getting. Dell dropped their prices this week, I saw this same configuration come out to $1484. So no worries, Dell does a 30 day price guarantee. I call them and say "Hey, this is a lot cheaper this week, I'd like to take advantage of the price guarantee." Expecting to get around $275 back.

I get this Indian dude on the phone...he's like "I see this, yes, it's a lot cheaper this week. I'm seeing $1100." I was like "Um, yep, it's a lot cheaper this week!" He had to have messed up...I don't see where he was seeing $1100 possibly. So they're giving me a $600 refund. So, Ryzen 7 3700X, AMD 5700 XT, 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, liquid cooled, for ~$1100 from Alienware. Not bad.

Don't be too surprised if the mistake isn't found out and they adjust to later on, but that's awesome if it works out

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

You can get like a 40% discount on most Dell computers as a partner. He was probably looking at the partner discount, which is just the maximum possible discount for that product. So he probably gave you the maximum possible discount that anyone could receive for that particular SKU.

Any time you buy basically anything from Dell, unless you have a partner ID that already gives you the maximum discount, you should always try calling them and haggling, or haggle after the fact. The margins are pretty high and they are able to lower the price very frequently.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Don't be too surprised if the mistake isn't found out and they adjust to later on, but that's awesome if it works out

Yah, I've already thought of that, and a good chance no doubt. We'll see if it actually comes through. They created a ticket for it.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
You can get like a 40% discount on most Dell computers as a partner. He was probably looking at the partner discount, which is just the maximum possible discount for that product. So he probably gave you the maximum possible discount that anyone could receive for that particular SKU.

Any time you buy basically anything from Dell, unless you have a partner ID that already gives you the maximum discount, you should always try calling them and haggling, or haggle after the fact. The margins are pretty high and they are able to lower the price very frequently.

Good to know. I did read you could haggle with Dell, which I should have. At least I've got this going for me, even if I "only" get the $300 if they catch the $600 mistake.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah a lot of Avaya CMSes on various old Solaris boxes are still out there.

A few months ago I junked what was once a quarter million dollar Sunfire 890 used as a CMS for a very large company. The amount of copper used to cool those processors would boggle even modern PC enthusiasts. 15-20 pounds of copper for the two CPUs.

SUN SPARC processors are also cool as shit and make awesome paperweights because they're so dense. I've been trying to figure out what the IHS plate is made out of, they're 4-5x heavier than any other processor of that era. Nickel was the best I could come up with.

Nickel plated copper was the norm back in the days. I worked for a telecom that had its own calibration labs on site, and there was always something exotic and interesting to look at. Copper doesn't always play well with other metals/liquids and that's why nickel was used as a plating.

The amount of waste that company generated was shocking. $5000 heatsink from a prototype sat unit junked and tossed into a box. Thousands of CPU's and ram sticks sent to the grinder that were only a few years old. And yet the company would collectively shit itself if an $1800 laptop came up missing. Not because of the data, but because of the lost cost.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I hope you get connected to a 911 call center in India.

“I understand your problem Mr. Noodleface and I’m very sorry to hear that. Is it okay if I place you on a brief hold while I pretend to give a shit while 5 other listeners to your call tell me in Indian how to bullshit you so you will rate me excellent customer service?”

That’s basically every Uber driver support call.

If it were Indian 911:

“Please sir I need you to speak clearly and slowly into the phone as I can’t understand you. Oh, you were shot? Was this with a gun? What type of gun sir? So it was a bullet that hit you? Did it hit your body? I see. Did this bullet hit anyone else’s body? Uh huh. Was this the only bullet to hit your body? How many bullets hit your body sir? Okay tell me about the second bullet. Did this second bullet hit your body? I understand. Did the second bullet hit anyone else? I see. I’m very sorry to hear that. Were there any other bullets today that you need to report? Okay, do you mind if I place you on a 1-2 minute hold while I research this issue? Thank you very much. Okay sir, are you still there? Hello? Ahh yes Mr. Sir thank you for patiently waiting. I have looked into your issue and it appears you have not actually been hit by a bullet but I will make a note of this so our engineers can know about this issue. Is there anything else I can help you with today? Thank you sir and you have a wonderful today and thank you for calling 911.”