Desktop Computers

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Looking to use my Trump bucks to make a small upgrade to my PC. Don't want a new vid card since it's a little over my budget, so I want to upgrade my memory.

Currently sitting on 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory.

I still have 2 more slots available. Should I simply buy two more 8GB sticks and double my ram performance or can I go for two 16GB sticks and triple it?

Is anything beyond 32GB excessive/unnecessary? I primarily play WoW and the most graphics intensive game I have currently is the RE3 remake

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Looking to use my Trump bucks to make a small upgrade to my PC. Don't want a new vid card since it's a little over my budget, so I want to upgrade my memory.

Currently sitting on 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory.

I still have 2 more slots available. Should I simply buy two more 8GB sticks and double my ram performance or can I go for two 16GB sticks and triple it?

Is anything beyond 32GB excessive/unnecessary? I primarily play WoW and the most graphics intensive game I have currently is the RE3 remake

I'm not sure the RAM capacity upgrade is going to do much noticeable for you--upgrading ram speed might give you a 5 fps bump if you have the right mobo and cpu. If you're looking for a ~$100 upgrade, an NVME drive would probably give you the most improvement if you don't already have one (and your mobo has the slot for it).

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm not sure the RAM capacity upgrade is going to do much noticeable for you--upgrading ram speed might give you a 5 fps bump if you have the right mobo and cpu. If you're looking for a ~$100 upgrade, an NVME drive would probably give you the most improvement if you don't already have one (and your mobo has the slot for it).

MB is CyberpowerPC Z370 SLI Xtreme ATX w/ RGB, 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe

Processor is Intel® Core™ Processor i5-8600K 3.60GHZ 9MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Coffee Lake)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also, my SSD has pathetically low capacity and I run most of my games from my normal hard drive
Then yes, fuck extra RAM, go get yourself a 500g or 1TB m.2 drive, and get all your games on that shit. You'll love it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Nah. Get a 2.5 inch 1tb SSD for $100. 512gb is too small for games, and the NVME interface won't get you a lot over standard SATA.

Crucial BX500 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT1000BX500SSD1

95E14E69-95AC-40EC-BDAB-2229534B6712.jpeg

That it?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
$400 and absolutely. It's built for bigger guys. I'm 6'3" and 230 pounds and think this supports up to 290?? They have a bigger one too
How long have you had the Titan chair? I've been looking at that chair for a bit, and I've nothing be good about them, but I'm curious about the multi-tilt mechanism it has. I'm 6'4" / 240, so I'm a bit worried about the strength of the chair seat and what keeps it horizontal. Will it slowly bend over time such that when you sit in it, will you automatically be tilted back?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
About a week so I can't answer much of that. Its heavier and more durable than any chair I've ever used though. The multi tilt thing feels exactly like the mechanism in a car seat and how it tilts the seat

I just bought a wd black nvme drive for $130. Why would you suggest SATA or m.2 to someone? M.2 is better in almost every regard

Fucker

Log Wizard
About a week so I can't answer much of that. Its heavier and more durable than any chair I've ever used though. The multi tilt thing feels exactly like the mechanism in a car seat and how it tilts the seat

I just bought a wd black nvme drive for $130. Why would you suggest SATA or m.2 to someone? M.2 is better in almost every regard

The NVME drive is half the capacity for $20 less. Also, not all boards will take more than one NVME drive without shutting off SATA ports due to the lack of PCI-E lanes. Every board has spare SATA ports, and a SATA SSD is more or less as good as a NVME drive for gaming, especially coming from a platter drive. In this case, $100 for 1tb of gaming space and painless install is an easy option.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm having a hard time finding this but is there an AMD 'nuc' type box that has multiple NVME slots?