Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The bezel is annoying, granted not as bad a a vertical one. Being that close to the monitors is just awful but the higher monitor also looks to be a pain in the neck

Fucker

Log Wizard
The bezel is annoying, granted not as bad a a vertical one. Being that close to the monitors is just awful but the higher monitor also looks to be a pain in the neck

That guy has a lot more hardware to make his videos than the Coen Brothers use to make their movies. I'm not even kidding.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Thankfully it's my work PC and just a "temporary" thing.
I doubt it's temporary, EMC has been trying to cut down on office space for years. All the support/implementation people I work with there have been remote for years, some were even paid to give up their desk and paid more to buy setups for home. I don't know any developers though.

Synergy or Mouse Without Borders is pretty awesome, that's how I control my work and play PCs.

That and I just can't see cubicle farms being safe for anyone to go back to for at least 15-18 months.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I doubt it's temporary, EMC has been trying to cut down on office space for years. All the support/implementation people I work with there have been remote for years, some were even paid to give up their desk and paid more to buy setups for home. I don't know any developers though.

Synergy or Mouse Without Borders is pretty awesome, that's how I control my work and play PCs.

That and I just can't see cubicle farms being safe for anyone to go back to for at least 15-18 months.
Yeah I talked about it in another thread but the company (Dell, not just the EMC subsidiary) wanted to go 50% work from home by 2020. Right now we've got something like 127k+ employees working from home.

There's still really old people in charge that don't understand how people can be effective while wfh.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Going to be fairly interesting when people potentially don't have the choice anymore but required to work from home. Some of the studies I've read/heard is the typical worker gets more done at home vs in an office. The downside was a large amount of the people in the studies ended up suffering from depression.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I definitely am more productive at home. I think because I end up tossing on headphones with twitch on and just put my head down and work. In the office I'm often bombarded by people coming by a lot. I don't feel comfortable putting twitch on at work, etc. Plus I'm saving two hours of commuting a day, or ten hours a week.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I definitely am more productive at home. I think because I end up tossing on headphones with twitch on and just put my head down and work. In the office I'm often bombarded by people coming by a lot. I don't feel comfortable putting twitch on at work, etc. Plus I'm saving two hours of commuting a day, or ten hours a week.
This is the biggest thing from a happiness perspective. That's a lot of extra time in your life, it's essentially a raise without having to pay you. And you save on gas and car maintenance.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is the biggest thing from a happiness perspective. That's a lot of extra time in your life, it's essentially a raise without having to pay you. And you save on gas and car maintenance.
Yep. Filled.my gas tank a single time in the last 6 weeks

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is what I ended up going with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($433.90 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4400 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($496.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($140.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1690.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-14 17:08 EDT-0400

So is everyone just waiting for Amazon to start actually selling shit again? Anyone know if you can actually buy anything from amazon yet or is it better to just pay more and get it from other sites?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So is everyone just waiting for Amazon to start actually selling shit again? Anyone know if you can actually buy anything from amazon yet or is it better to just pay more and get it from other sites?
Amazon is OOS on a lot of shit, but the stuff they have has they've been shipping good

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

This. Less socializing. More work. I also tend not to mind doing work past my time because of no commute.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck I'm opposite from you guys. I'm doing the bare minimum to get by. I need to be at work to feel productive. So fucking bored sitting here at home.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Amazon's selection has been really shit for a while....before CV-19 hit. I had to get a PSU from B&H Photo last December, and I've been getting stuff from Newegg again. Amazon doesn't have the monitors I want, or even hard disc drives.

I can't even use Amazon for ass wipes or window cleaner anymore. Ass wipes are sold out, and window cleaner that I use is 3x the cost of Wal Mart.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fuck I'm opposite from you guys. I'm doing the bare minimum to get by. I need to be at work to feel productive. So fucking bored sitting here at home.
I have about the same total productivity by metrics between home and work, but I spend less money working from home, and am a lot happier because I don't have to deal with pee smell, BO smell, and I can't get in trouble for yelling at co'work'ers aka people that do no work or intentionally do bad work.