Desktop Computers

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
New computer showed up !
Realizing no DVI or VGA port on my new Card is LOL. 2nd monitor is so old has no display port or HDMI.

Down to one Monitor was no good for work today so had to use the old rig. Will be another week before my new AW34 ultrawide shows up.

Other then setting up the new computer yesterday i have been getting lots done in my mancave/office even with the family home.

I did enjoy an hour of FVIII while listening to a conference call. I am really enjoying not having a ton of people lined up at my door asking me questions.

Move old card to new PC to run 2nd old monitor?

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Need to check your compatibility between the ram and mb, not just for speed but also maximum you can install.

Did you try every stick individually in the same slot? How many slots do you have? You may need to use specific slots, like 1 and 3, to get it to work.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just ordered a new monitor from Amazon and should have it this Monday, but I guess those are labeled as essential for work from home or something. When I was looking at picking up a console for my daughter, even in stock stuff was quoting well into May for delivery.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I just ordered a new monitor from Amazon and should have it this Monday, but I guess those are labeled as essential for work from home or something. When I was looking at picking up a console for my daughter, even in stock stuff was quoting well into May for delivery.

What you wind up getting?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can i at least put one 16gb stick in the working slot?
You can but you'd be running single channel which is generally frowned upon. If you had two sticks of 8 and they work together and new sticks don't then new sticks are bad. If your old sticks don't work in one of the slots then you did something bad pulling them out

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
You can but you'd be running single channel which is generally frowned upon. If you had two sticks of 8 and they work together and new sticks don't then new sticks are bad. If your old sticks don't work in one of the slots then you did something bad pulling them out

There doesn't seem to be any pattern at this point. I originally had 16GB of detectable memory. All configs i tried were with 8GB sticks

Adding any new sticks to the config in conjunction with old sticks seems to cause the PC to fail to boot up. But New Stick X and Y in Slots 2 and 4 by themselves don't cause failures but with Slot 2 being undetected and Slot 4 detected.

Old Stick A in Slot 4, no failures but Old Stick B in Slot 2 is undetected

Old Stick A in Slot 4 and Old Stick B in Slot 1 or 3 causes the PC to fail to boot up.

Old Stick A in Slot 4 by itself, no failures, but Old Stick B in Slot 4 by itself causes the PC to fail to boot up.

However, returning Old Stick A to slot 4 also caused the PC to fail to boot. Removed it, and reinserted and it worked again.

Fucker

Log Wizard
So I installed my new case fans and RAM and there was no signal to my monitor

when I pulled the new RAM out, that suddenly fixed it.

my new RAM matches the old RAM in terms of type and speed. Is this a compatibility issue, a power supply issue? Come to think of it, the pc also kept shutting off and attempting to turn itself back on. I have an 800 watt power supply

A bad PSU will make everything run like shit. You will get all manner of random errors that makes troubleshooting it a complete pain in the balls. The test is simple...if you have a spare PSU plug it in and see how it goes.

If I had to guess, I'd say a bad motherboard. One of those gone south can make figuring out what is wrong an impossible task. If the PSU is good, then the mainboard is toast.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
My coworker/friend for 10+ years sat in the office over from mine. He admitted to me he took baths like every three days because he didn't smell himself. I told him that he smelled pretty bad every week for almost 10 years. And he was a bear of a man too. Smart as fuck too!

I have a friend, more of an acquaintance, like this. Hygiene just never really mattered to him, he brushed his teeth for the first time after 7 years, resulting in a bathroom sink that looked like he murdered a pig in the sink, and promptly declared that the experience was terrible and he wasn't going to make that mistake again. I helped him build a PC about 10 years ago and gagged every time he got close enough to look at a part on my PC screen. No one could say the guy isn't intelligent, but his brain just doesn't give a shit about personal health or hygiene. Has to be some kind of mental disorder I haven't heard about, I've worked with a few people with similar issues, just nowhere near the level of this guy.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I have a friend, more of an acquaintance, like this. Hygiene just never really mattered to him, he brushed his teeth for the first time after 7 years, resulting in a bathroom sink that looked like he murdered a pig in the sink, and promptly declared that the experience was terrible and he wasn't going to make that mistake again. I helped him build a PC about 10 years ago and gagged every time he got close enough to look at a part on my PC screen. No one could say the guy isn't intelligent, but his brain just doesn't give a shit about personal health or hygiene. Has to be some kind of mental disorder I haven't heard about, I've worked with a few people with similar issues, just nowhere near the level of this guy.

Damn...YEARS? I get feeling gross if I don't do it after every meal. There was a woman at one of my jobs who was dense and stupid and I had to walk her through our client billing app. She marinated herself in perfume and I'd get migraines and blood clots when she was near me.

There was a delivery driver for the local supermarket...great big fat guy. He absolutely stank to high heaven. He stank so much I had to stand outside my garage...he smelled like pickled shit and month old foot sweat. I was so mad that I could feel my blood plateles banging around in my veins and I certainly made the store manager look like an asshole in front of everyone in the store. There was NO WAY no she didn't notice how much stink he gave off, and it was a massive management fuck up to let him go to customers smelling like that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Every meal? God you must be like those dudes at work that brush their teeth twice during the workday

We had a kid in college that when he'd enter a classroom it would instantly smell like sweat, feet, BO, and piss. And the aroma would fill entire classrooms and be extremely potent. I can't even accurately describe it or do it justice, it was like he was smoking out the room. I left lectures a few times because I started getting nauseous. Thankfully he was only in my classes for a single semester.

I started referring to him as piss kid and that name stuck hahaha

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Everyone is different. Some people get like dude after a couple days, or of course, more? Others, not so much. I mean, we've all been camping over a weekend right, where you didn't shower or bathe for like 2-3 days? I mean depending on what was happening, it wasn't THAT bad? If you were doing physical sweaty ass work every single day, and didn't shower, that's whole other story. Sedentary at home quarantined cuz of COVID? ehhhh...

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Best place to find a PC that the builder isnt trying to cram every new hot piece of hardware into it, bundled with software and warranty? I'm seriously looking for something thats like a 9700 intel, 16 gigs ram, 1060 gtx, 1 TB SSD. Nothing extreme, I just need to get my g/f a PC and she doesnt play anything close to a demanding game when she does play something.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Get a 1600AF for 1/4 the price of a 9700 in that situation, build it yourself to flex for your girl.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Best place to find a PC that the builder isnt trying to cram every new hot piece of hardware into it, bundled with software and warranty? I'm seriously looking for something thats like a 9700 intel, 16 gigs ram, 1060 gtx, 1 TB SSD. Nothing extreme, I just need to get my g/f a PC and she doesnt play anything close to a demanding game when she does play something.

So If I marked this up ~$300 and offered you zero support besides insurance on shipping, would you buy for $1,426? Not really serious but I keep thinking I should do this for mad money.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've thought about doing that locally but afraid I'd be that person's tech rep for years to come

For comparison

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user