Desktop Computers

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
is it that much better to get headphones without a mic, then buy a stand alone mic? thats what everyone is suggesting

but i see streamers use these headphones with a stand alone mic, prolly one for chat / discord

is the sound quality going to be that much better since it wont have unnesecary mic hardware/drivers?

any recommendations on headphones without headsets?

i dont wanna jump the gun and buy this cause of the price and only having 2 left

ny feedback is much appreciated

ihave onboard sound so people are suggesting i get a mic with no headset or if i get a gaming headset i need a DAC

so was thinking of this one comes with the DAC, but what do you guys think gaming hedset wit mic, or gaming headset with no mic / stand aloe mid
since im using onboard sound do i need a DAC no matter the headset i buy?

looking at this for a headset without a mic, what do you guys think? or should i go and spend the same amount of money once you add in the standalone mic and go with this, since it comes with a DAC

or this gaming headset for 250 comes with a DAC, so the headphones would be 150$ and a decent mic probably 50-100$ so it would be the same price basically

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
is it that much better to get headphones without a mic, then buy a stand alone mic? thats what everyone is suggesting

but i see streamers use these headphones with a stand alone mic, prolly one for chat / discord

is the sound quality going to be that much better since it wont have unnesecary mic hardware/drivers?

any recommendations on headphones without headsets?

i dont wanna jump the gun and buy this cause of the price and only having 2 left

ny feedback is much appreciated

ihave onboard sound so people are suggesting i get a mic with no headset or if i get a gaming headset i need a DAC

so was thinking of this one comes with the DAC, but what do you guys think gaming hedset wit mic, or gaming headset with no mic / stand aloe mid
since im using onboard sound do i need a DAC no matter the headset i buy?

looking at this for a headset without a mic, what do you guys think? or should i go and spend the same amount of money once you add in the standalone mic and go with this, since it comes with a DAC

or this gaming headset for 250 comes with a DAC, so the headphones would be 150$ and a decent mic probably 50-100$ so it would be the same price basically

I prefer headphones with a separate mic. A good set of headphones with a $10 clip on mic allows you to get the exact headphones you want and the mic is just as good as most headsets.

Unless you get high impedance headphones or you get extra noise when plugging the headphones in to your onboard sound card, you don't really need a DAC or amp. You can always buy one afterwards if you decide you need one.

Also, see here: Headphones & Audio Devices

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a fancier mic setup (at2020 XLR into Scarlett 2i2) and it's night and day for sound quality. I mean not even anywhere close to what a headset mic sounds like.

There's something to be said about the portability of a mic on your headset though.

Can't be sure but I think that arctis pro needs a DAC, or does it come with a cheap one.?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so i ordered these SENNHEISER HD 58X gonna get the amp and all that jazz, but i cant seem to find a compatible attachable mic besides Modmidc 5 and the reviews are terrible, and i cant get it on amazon but its out there, my only issue with like a desktop mic would be backround noise i live near a police station and sirens get annoying sometimes dont wanna bug people.

noodle is the Scarlett 2i2 your DAC and AMP in one? i never fucked with getting this fancy with mic/headphones i usually just grab a 150$ gaming headset and go with it

do you think that amp is strong enough to power SENNHEISER HD 58X

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
so i ordered these SENNHEISER HD 58X gonna get the amp and all that jazz, but i cant seem to find a compatible attachable mic besides Modmidc 5 and the reviews are terrible, and i cant get it on amazon but its out there, my only issue with like a desktop mic would be backround noise i live near a police station and sirens get annoying sometimes dont wanna bug people.

noodle is the Scarlett 2i2 your DAC and AMP in one? i never fucked with getting this fancy with mic/headphones i usually just grab a 150$ gaming headset and go with it
Yea Teck, why the fuck you going so fancy. Did I miss that you're gonna start streaming or something? I mean for most everyone a headset is gonna be fine for you to shit talk with your buddies on discord?

I admit I went down this rabbit hole. I went with a different pair of headphones but on par with those Senn's, as I wanted more bass in my sound, and then got the USB DAC. Then went with the modmic setup that just sticks to the side of my headphones. Works fine.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've got no idea what the Scarlett can handle. I moreso got it for guitar recording/monitoring. I just use a pair of HyperX with them but I know a friend got the arctis pros and they were underpowered with it.

Also for desk mics you can just go push to talk if ambient noise is too much. Depending on what mic you get though, somethint like the sm7b will only pick up what you directly say into it.

Plus if you have an RTX graphics card there's RTX voice which eliminates 95% of all external sound.

Just need to find what style works for you

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Any suggestions on a decent "all around" monitor that I can also use for gaming? With the 'rona I'm working from home and my current displays only have displayport and VGA (they old). Was looking for a primary monitor for my desktop and something I could also plug my laptop into.

GFX Card is a gigabyte RTX 2060 (GeForce RTX™ 2060 GAMING OC 6G | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE U.S.A.)
Laptop is a macbook pro (~2017)
Was looking at spending less than $300, with a larger than 23" display.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
With that price range you can get some really nice 24-27 inch 1080/1440p monitors. Really depends what boxes you want checked off. For work and some gaming IPS would be really great id think but it depends on your needs.

If I had $300 for a work/gaming monitor I'd probably pick up a Dell like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

do you think that amp is strong enough to power SENNHEISER HD 58X

I have those headphones and the modmidc 5 and the mic is average, but the headphones are excellent. I run the 58X off a Schitt Fulla as space was a limiter on my DAC/AMP and it powers them perfectly fine - not quite as clear as the Magni/Modi stack my brother has but good enough for me. I was going to do a desktop mic but couldn't get used to it so just stuck with the attachable mic on the 58x jubilees.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
PC upgrade time for me. I've been running my 970 GTX into the ground and it just can't handle the stuff I want to play at 1440p any more. I have an Acer XB270HU and don't plan to buy another monitor, so I'm locked into Nvidia/GSYNC.

For longevity at 1440p, I assume a 2070 Super is the way to go? The current popular wisdom is to go with an AMD CPU? Any particular recommendations? Most of the heavy use will be gaming, but I will be doing some light statistical modeling and optimization in R.

Thanks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PC upgrade time for me. I've been running my 970 GTX into the ground and it just can't handle the stuff I want to play at 1440p any more. I have an Acer XB270HU and don't plan to buy another monitor, so I'm locked into Nvidia/GSYNC.

For longevity at 1440p, I assume a 2070 Super is the way to go? The current popular wisdom is to go with an AMD CPU? Any particular recommendations? Most of the heavy use will be gaming, but I will be doing some light statistical modeling and optimization in R.

Thanks.
Just get a 3800X and a 2070 Super and a decent motherboard. Also recommend at least 3200mhz low CAS latency memory.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Thanks.
If you were doing only gaming I'd recommend Intel, but since you're doing other stuff I'd go AMD.

You can see my build that's a bit over the top (minus GPU - fuck paying $1200): System Builder

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
With that price range you can get some really nice 24-27 inch 1080/1440p monitors. Really depends what boxes you want checked off. For work and some gaming IPS would be really great id think but it depends on your needs.

If I had $300 for a work/gaming monitor I'd probably pick up a Dell like

I got this one back in Feb for $319 because I wanted at least 144Hz. As you can see, it's since gone up to $370

It's honestly been great

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I got this one back in Feb for $319 because I wanted at least 144Hz. As you can see, it's since gone up to $370

It's honestly been great
It's fine, it's basically the same screen as the S2716DG that I have, but being a TN panel just gives it a very cheap look with lots of color banding and terrible viewing angles.

This is why I'm so obsessed with finding a better monitor out there but I just can't seem to find one that checks all the right boxes and still fits on my desk.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Thanks.

Forget the 3800x. Waste of $40.

AMD 3700X, mainboard with 570x chipset. 1tb NVME SSD of some kind. Do your homework on these. 2070 Super if you can find one. A good PSU....modular. Might as well toss in a new case and a decent platter drive. 16GB of good ram and you are GTG.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
It's fine, it's basically the same screen as the S2716DG that I have, but being a TN panel just gives it a very cheap look with lots of color banding and terrible viewing angles.

This is why I'm so obsessed with finding a better monitor out there but I just can't seem to find one that checks all the right boxes and still fits on my desk.
Well considering I sit in one spot at one angle, it's been great. Nothing about it seems cheap, but keep being you, Mist.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'd at least wait until Nvidia announces Ampere on the 14th. Otherwise, 2070 Super

That's not a bad plan, but I'd guess availability and prices to be complete shit for months to come. It's hard enough to find a good RTX at a good price right now.