Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well considering I sit in one spot at one angle, it's been great. Nothing about it seems cheap, but keep being you, Mist.
Don't get me wrong, the build quality on Dell monitors is amazing, and this one is no exception. The super-thin bezels give it a very premium look. The input latency is among the lowest of any monitors. There's a reason I've kept my S2716DG.

But the black uniformity is bad, dark scenes look bad, the contrast on dark colors, especially dark purples, look especially bad. The viewing angle never bothered me much either until I started going with a standing/sitting convertible desk.

I just think it's a little dishonest of Dell to rebrand panel tech from 2015 as a 2019 monitor.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Don't get me wrong, the build quality on Dell monitors is amazing, and this one is no exception. The super-thin bezels give it a very premium look. The input latency is among the lowest of any monitors. There's a reason I've kept my S2716DG.

But the black uniformity is bad, dark scenes look bad, the contrast on dark colors, especially dark purples, look especially bad. The viewing angle never bothered me much either until I started going with a standing/sitting convertible desk.

I just think it's a little dishonest of Dell to rebrand panel tech from 2015 as a 2019 monitor.
And that's why I paid close to $300 for it, and I'm happy, while you all are discussing $500+ monitors

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Bad contrast, colors, darks, and angles are inherent to TN. TN will continue being made and even improved well into the 2020s as it's responsive and very cheap.

However gaming oriented IPS panels have been somewhat affordable since at least 2016. Unlike extra resolution and high refresh rate, the benefits of IPS don't tax the gpu or connection bandwidth (side note HDR does tax bandwidth.)

Going from a relatively basic 1080p monitor to an Acer XF270HU was as big an upgrade to my overall experience as going from a 2500k to a 3700x system fwiw. Don't cheap out on the monitor side of things next time around.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Haven't needed to look for upgrades since my last purchase. Anything with 1440p, ips, freesynch/gsynch compatible, 144hz, and decent response times should be nice. Could use Pc partpicker to filter for those and other features you want.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What is it they say, you can pick 2 of the 3 monitor features, and stay pretty reasonable in price, but if you want all 3, you are going to pay for it?

Refresh rate (60/144), resolution (1080p/1440p), Gsync or not (this one is a bit different since nVidia started approving freesync monitors for gsync).

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
That saying hasn't been true for a while. You can get all the features I listed for under $400 brand new now.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Ok bros, I could use some help.
First time building a PC in almost a decade. I'm pretty out of the loop and reading tech reviews helps, but I'm no hardware wizard so some of it is a bit over my head.
I'll try to simplify -

-Budget $1,500
It can go slightly higher, but I have a reserve budget aside for accessories/monitor/chair. I will dip into that if I need to if something really makes the difference, but it won't be much. Maybe an extra $200 at most.

-Priorities in order of importance - Gaming (obviously), Music Production Software, Video Production Software, Photo Editing

Graphics card is one area I need some help especially. It is a critical piece I do not want to undervalue or skimp on, however I obviously can't blow the entire budget on the latest gangbang cards that cost most of my budget by themselves. I have read up on them but information is all over the place. I trust anecdotes from this forum when it comes to this stuff, so any information or experiences is appreciated. I have heard many good things about AMD recently but I have only ever used NVDA graphics cards. I would be willing to make the switch, but I have no idea what I'm looking at when it comes to AMD products. Is there anything to avoid or be aware of? I've been told around a 1070 or so from NVDA is around the best I can do on my budget while still being affordable to acquire everything else. Seems like there has to be other options though.

I also heard that going cheap on a power supply is a big no no, so I'm okay to spend what I need there as well.

What do I need to be looking at? This is a ground up build, I need the case and everything inside of it. I am 100% okay using refurbished parts as long as it's trustworthy, unless anyone here recommends against that? Seems like I could save a nice amount by doing that on some pieces. Not sure if that's a good idea, though.

When it comes to the processor, I was told by my buddy that I wouldn't be able to use Windows7 (my preferred OS in general) with the newer and modernized CPUs. Is it going to hinder me terribly, especially in 2020 and going foward, to go back and select the highest quality CPU I can find from an era that will run Win7? Should I say fuck it and accept using some bloatware infested bullshit version of Windows for now until I can learn Linux like a real man?

SInce I have a heavy interest in using audio software, is there any specifics I should be buying for my build to make sure it can handle it?

What do I need to know about compatibility? For instance when getting a motherboard and GFX card, etc. what should I check to make sure that when I get all the pieces together it can actually all be configured in unison instead of ordering some shit that I don't have a slot for, etc.?

Any help is appreciated. Almost none of my IRL friends of contacts know shit about this, and like I said the vast amount of information for a newb PC builder out there is overwhelming and often times conflicting.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What is it they say, you can pick 2 of the 3 monitor features, and stay pretty reasonable in price, but if you want all 3, you are going to pay for it?

Refresh rate (60/144), resolution (1080p/1440p), Gsync or not (this one is a bit different since nVidia started approving freesync monitors for gsync).
That's why I bought the LG

IPS
144(165 OC)Hz
"Gsync" capable
1440p

All for $370. Only problem is you have to check it every 2 minutes because it goes OOS a lot.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
First time building a PC in almost a decade. I'm pretty out of the loop and reading tech reviews helps, but I'm no hardware wizard so some of it is a bit over my head.
I'll try to simplify -

-Budget $1,500
It can go slightly higher, but I have a reserve budget aside for accessories/monitor/chair. I will dip into that if I need to if something really makes the difference, but it won't be much. Maybe an extra $200 at most.

-Priorities in order of importance - Gaming (obviously), Music Production Software, Video Production Software, Photo Editing

Graphics card is one area I need some help especially. It is a critical piece I do not want to undervalue or skimp on, however I obviously can't blow the entire budget on the latest gangbang cards that cost most of my budget by themselves. I have read up on them but information is all over the place. I trust anecdotes from this forum when it comes to this stuff, so any information or experiences is appreciated. I have heard many good things about AMD recently but I have only ever used NVDA graphics cards. I would be willing to make the switch, but I have no idea what I'm looking at when it comes to AMD products. Is there anything to avoid or be aware of? I've been told around a 1070 or so from NVDA is around the best I can do on my budget while still being affordable to acquire everything else. Seems like there has to be other options though.

I also heard that going cheap on a power supply is a big no no, so I'm okay to spend what I need there as well.

What do I need to be looking at? This is a ground up build, I need the case and everything inside of it. I am 100% okay using refurbished parts as long as it's trustworthy, unless anyone here recommends against that? Seems like I could save a nice amount by doing that on some pieces. Not sure if that's a good idea, though.

When it comes to the processor, I was told by my buddy that I wouldn't be able to use Windows7 (my preferred OS in general) with the newer and modernized CPUs. Is it going to hinder me terribly, especially in 2020 and going foward, to go back and select the highest quality CPU I can find from an era that will run Win7? Should I say fuck it and accept using some bloatware infested bullshit version of Windows for now until I can learn Linux like a real man?

SInce I have a heavy interest in using audio software, is there any specifics I should be buying for my build to make sure it can handle it?

What do I need to know about compatibility? For instance when getting a motherboard and GFX card, etc. what should I check to make sure that when I get all the pieces together it can actually all be configured in unison instead of ordering some shit that I don't have a slot for, etc.?

Any help is appreciated. Almost none of my IRL friends of contacts know shit about this, and like I said the vast amount of information for a newb PC builder out there is overwhelming and often times conflicting.
I posted my build a page back. Start there. AMD will be the best.processor for your applications. 2070 super is great for your price point (best bang for your buck, almost equivalent to a 2080).

Use windows 10, windows 7 is going out

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'll try to simplify -

-Budget $1,500

You can find the parts likely cheaper by keeping your eyes open. Motherboard is just my preference since i pick MSI over Asus nowadays. Cases are generally personal choice, i have the Azza Cube 802 and Pyramid 804V which are just for visual appeal.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Thanks, looks good Noodle. I’ll probably build something very similar.
And yeah Xexx, I’m keeping the look out for deals.
Both builds are helpful and right around my range. Great starting point and much appreciated for your time Xexx.

Last edited:

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I posted my build a page back. Start there. AMD will be the best.processor for your applications. 2070 super is great for your price point (best bang for your buck, almost equivalent to a 2080).

Use windows 10, windows 7 is going out
Win7 is already EoL... just use Windows 10. If you really want to, you can find a key place online for like $35, and even if it doesn't work MS's support will usually help you and generate a new one for you.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider

This is about where I’m at right now, I followed Noodle and Xexx pretty closely but tweaked a couple things. Might end up with a different model of fan but I want to stay with Noctua. Going to be a little over budget once I pick a FractalDesign case, but I’m able to get everything I want and the performance I want without stepping into $2k+ territory so that’s fucking solid.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

This is about where I’m at right now, I followed Noodle and Xexx pretty closely but tweaked a couple things. Might end up with a different model of fan but I want to stay with Noctua. Going to be a little over budget once I pick a FractalDesign case, but I’m able to get everything I want and the performance I want without stepping into $2k+ territory so that’s fucking solid.
Dont forget that youll need a $400+ 144hz+ monitor for this brand new badass computer youre building.

And prolly add a 3+tb normal hard drive. That 1tb ssd fills up quick.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The m.2 I listed is faster than that SSD if you care, for the same price. Uses pcie not sata

Otherwise looks good.