Desktop Computers

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Once you go mechanical, you never go back. The ease of the key press on a mechanical keyboard is just so nice once you get used to it.
I had no idea what a mechanical keyboard even was, so I watched some video.

Check out the nasty sore on his right palm. It's like a Herpes breakout or something.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I still really like the standard Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard. Ever since these came out, I stopped liking "normal" keyboards. These are the fat/lazy way to type, and even if I'm not fat/lazy, I enjoy the relaxed feel of it.

I gamed on one of these up until early last year when i picked up a razer just for the rgb. I used these for years and still one of my favorite keyboards.

1588594211379.png

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had no idea what a mechanical keyboard even was, so I watched some video.

Check out the nasty sore on his right palm. It's like a Herpes breakout or something.
It's probably herpes from another man. I think Linus is secretly gay

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So what's the longest anyone has had a pc last? I'm finally looking at retiring my i5 2400 after 10+ years of stalwart service, with the only thing I've replaced on it being the video card (I will never buy another radeon in my life). It's only within the last year or two that I've stopped being able to always run the newest games smoothly, and with the failure of a case fan (and another wearing out) I figure it's better to stay ahead of the inevitable failure.

Of course the drawback to my computer having lasted so long is that it's been over a decade since I've had to deal with computer parts.
5 years is the longest Ive gone without a major component failing. Nothing failed on my 4690k build, which was replaced by my 3700X. Before that I had a i7-920 and in the span of two years two motherboards died while using it, the second which prompted me to get the 4690k.

I am still using a number of old components though. The hdd I bought to go with my 920 is still runs fine at 12 years old. Reused the PSU from 4690k, that is 6 years old.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah my 3750k on an asrock mobo is going strong 8 years later, only upgrades were from a 660ti to a 960 and from a hdd to an SSD, no issues other than one ssd dying. Can't wait to replace it though.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A keyboard is a keyboard to me. But I believe everyone I know has had that Microsoft Keyboard at some point in their life.

Axiel Axiel I liked the idea on the Hard Drive and went with the recommended. I noticed most everything on your list was what the benchmark website was saying was the best in each category. Even if the 3000 series comes out in August - I cant imagine that the 2070 Super's will fall enough in price that I should spend 230 on a card like the 1660 Super. But I could be completely wrong, thats what I'm here for.

With the current build, I scaled back the motherboard and the processor and upgraded other components - including the video card. We do use 4K monitors at my place. She currently uses my old 4k monitor that has a slower refresh but thats it. The Power supply is rated at 600 Bronze and the current draw is 424W, Noodleface Noodleface . I said I wouldnt devote the time to it, but I will very likely overclock her PC. The CPU will supposedly go from 3.7 GHz, up to a possible 4.6 GHz. The resulting overclock wattage from CPU, GPU and Ram should be more than 75-100 watts, right? So that should be more than enough with the peak power of a 600W EVGA Bronze, right?

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
You're at $286 on a 6 thread processor, and at 4k/60hz there's no real Intel advantage; gpu is all that matters. I'd tell you to get a 2060 ko and upscale with dlss but like 5 games support that. 4k gaming is expensive; 2070S is still going to struggle at many new games, 2080S/ti offers marginal performance improvements at monstrous prices.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
aight so CORSAIR K70 RGB for 150$ or splurge the extra 50$ and get apex pro and see what this new omnipoint switches are all about.

what do you guys think? the corsair is on sale for 180$ so really if it wasnt on sale its only an extra 20$

you guys think those omnipoint switches are really all the hype its getting or is it a gimmick? everything ive read says it blows away every other speed switch (silver / khaild / cherry mx speed)

does anyone here actually have a pair of those apex pros? just realized that corsair only has MX cherry speed switches

IS faster response time more important that actuation point? im assuming yes?

the corsair cherry mx speed has an actuation time of 1.2mm and a response time of 5.00ms

the actuation on the apex is 0.4mm and the response time is 0.7 for reference

here is a pretty good explanation behind their tech and why its the best out there worth a read Omnipoint switch explained

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
aight so CORSAIR K70 RGB for 150$ or splurge the extra 50$ and get apex pro and see what this new omnipoint switches are all about.

what do you guys think? the corsair is on sale for 180$ so really if it wasnt on sale its only an extra 20$

you guys think those omnipoint switches are really all the hype its getting or is it a gimmick? everything ive read says it blows away every other speed switch (silver / khaild / cherry mx speed)

does anyone here actually have a pair of those apex pros? just realized that corsair only has MX cherry speed switches

IS faster response time more important that actuation point? im assuming yes?

the corsair cherry mx speed has an actuation time of 1.2mm and a response time of 5.00ms

the actuation on the apex is 0.4mm and the response time is 0.7 for reference
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but outside of a situation where all you did was train on that one particular keyboard, it'd be a moot point? I said train because outside of professional gaming I don't think it's gonna make a difference.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't buy any keyboard that uses USB if you're worried about key reaction time, ps2 is superior because it's interrupt based and it doesn't need to wait for its turn on the USB. Also supports more simultaneous keypresses (what they call n-key rollover). Real world relevance to most users is doubtful though.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Is G2A a trustworthy site to pick up a Windows 10 key from?

$24.99.

I know games are considered reliable from G2A for the most part and most of you guys said to definitely avoid giving Microsoft $100+ directly which I completely agree with. Suggestions/caveats?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Is G2A a trustworthy site to pick up a Windows 10 key from?

$24.99.

I know games are considered reliable from G2A for the most part and most of you guys said to definitely avoid giving Microsoft $100+ directly which I completely agree with. Suggestions/caveats?

Grab a pro key from Ebay for $5.

• 1Like

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Grab a pro key from Ebay for $5.

Word, I'll give it a shot. I literally forget eBay exists and I think someone even gave me this exact advice earlier in the thread and I forgot about it.
If it doesn't work, whatever. I'll be out a couple bucks and just spend the money if I have to. All the reviews so far have said it's legit though.
Thanks.

edit; Update on my build. I cannot find my motherfucking motherboard I want in stock anywhere. Fuck. I need one with WiFi and there's not a lot of options that support AM4 3rd gen with all the other options I need of that quality even close to that price. I can find just about everything else! Damn.

think I have to go with the MSI MPG X570 board and that’s if I can snag it when it comes into stock on the 21st like they say. I just can’t spend $400 on a board unfortunately. Hopefully something comes back in stock. Those ASUS X570 are sold out literally everywhere. Super bummer.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Word, I'll give it a shot. I literally forget eBay exists and I think someone even gave me this exact advice earlier in the thread and I forgot about it.
If it doesn't work, whatever. I'll be out a couple bucks and just spend the money if I have to. All the reviews so far have said it's legit though.
Thanks.

edit; Update on my build. I cannot find my motherfucking motherboard I want in stock anywhere. Fuck. I need one with WiFi and there's not a lot of options that support AM4 3rd gen with all the other options I need of that quality even close to that price. I can find just about everything else! Damn.

think I have to go with the MSI MPG X570 board and that’s if I can snag it when it comes into stock on the 21st like they say. I just can’t spend $400 on a board unfortunately. Hopefully something comes back in stock. Those ASUS X570 are sold out literally everywhere. Super bummer.
Ah fuck, I've read about people having trouble finding mobos right now. Keep in mind if you get a non wifi board you can always buy a PCI card wifi adapter if needed. I had trouble a few weeks ago getting a mobo in stock too, although it just took some searching.

Don't forget to check ebay as well, some of these companies like Newegg sell on there.

Also for Win10 keys I usually use r/microsoftsoftwareswap

I've only had one guy where the two keys he sold me were killed 3 months in and he instantly refunded me.

• 1Like