Desktop Computers

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I think he meant the top end Nvidia card was $650 with the 980ti. These days it's $1200 for the 2080ti which is it's equivalent current gen

Ahhhh. Gotcha. I think those days are gone. Even AMD will be on that price bandwagon in my opinion. Might not be $1200. But will be close to $1000 I'd bet.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Then ya...you're good.

Also, I thought about this. PC gaming won't be going above 4k for the foreseeable future (like next 5-10 years). 1440p will be the new 1080p with this generation of cards. You probably ARE good if you care less about cutting edge, and playing at 4K.
There's really no point in staying cutting edge. Hell, even performers we have at work doing cutting edge CFD modeling faster than real-time using GPUs dont even use the latest highest end cards.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah cutting edge has a tax to it for a very limited % increase. I considered a 2080ti but what would I even push it with? It's not like there are any games out even pushing frames.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Damn boys it has taken me almost 2 months to decide upon some PC parts and actually find them in stock but I just got the ASUS motherboard and the white triple fan Gigabyte 2070 Super card that I wanted! Fuck sake, that was the hardest I’ve ever had to look for any product I’ve ever wanted and I collect some obscure foreign video game and comic stuff. Maybe a slight exaggeration, but not really...

anyway, just wanted to celebrate. Now knowing my luck I’ll have a beautiful and badass $2,000+ setup completed and have to go back to work the very next day lol.

just wanted to thank everyone for the help and suggestions, I was patient and finally got the stuff I wanted.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Moore's Law is Dead (Youtuber that I really like to listen to) postulated that this is just AMD making the entire brand new Intel line look bad before Zen 3 is even announced.

The 10900 only beat the 3900X by about 7% on average in gaming benchmarks and was torched in non-gaming benchmarks. The 3900XT looks like it will be enough to virtually match the 10900 in gaming. This seems to be purely stepping on Intel's throat.

I just find it interesting they see it as a upgrade, doesn't really seem worth to push too bleeding edge for another 200-300megglehurtz.

I've known Moores Law has been dead for years it's funny seeing it just fall apart, but hopefully graphene/Carbon nano is coming Soon™

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So looking at the upgrade - 10 Series are coming out soon with Intel (Today I think?) and Ryzen made a big push. I haven't been following but checked some marks in Anandtech. What's the CPU flavor of choice these days? Was eyeing the 10700k, Mobo, 32 Gb Ram, POSSIBLY a 2070GTX (Running at 1440p not sure if I even need it with my 1070 GTX) new case, water cooler, and 1Tb M.2. Extra storage would be my existing SSD's which seem to work fine.

Mostly looking for opinions currently on Ryzen experiences.

Fucker

Log Wizard
So looking at the upgrade - 10 Series are coming out soon with Intel (Today I think?) and Ryzen made a big push. I haven't been following but checked some marks in Anandtech. What's the CPU flavor of choice these days? Was eyeing the 10700k, Mobo, 32 Gb Ram, POSSIBLY a 2070GTX (Running at 1440p not sure if I even need it with my 1070 GTX) new case, water cooler, and 1Tb M.2. Extra storage would be my existing SSD's which seem to work fine.

Get Intel if you are a hardcore gamer. If not, get a Ryzen and save $ for mostly the same performance.

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Go ryzen, and wait till new graphics come out this fall.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
C9199663-3BEF-4187-B3B7-BC8DB9254F47.jpeg

This would be done if Newegg could get their shit together.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
100% ryzen. I built my kids 3800x and its ballers. not one issue yet with it and its been since the fall.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
From a company named Azza, definitely looking forward to some pics once it is done Xexx Xexx

I've been browsing cases for a hackintosh build, figure maybe a fancy case for it is in order. Not gonna spend $6k on a mac pro so maybe splurge a bit on the case.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What's that thing?
I would wait for this fall when the new ryzen shit comes out, should pack even more punch if they kkeep the same levels of improvement between their first ryzens and the second. Also you dont need any of that water cooler bullshit. Keep that shit out of your case. Just get a good air cooler. The good ole trusty $30 CM212 is keeping my kids ryzen nice and cool.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just want new video cards to come out so I can get my ultrawide.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users