Desktop Computers

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
If you haven't been following tech news the 3600 is a budget cpu from 2019 that is very, very, good. To the point there's limited reason to buy a more expensive cpu for any existing pc games. You should notice a hefty improvement from an ancient quadcore.

mATX can mean less connectivity (usb, pci, etc,) less OC, physical space for storage, slightly more of a hassle to work on, and more cooling considerations; but it's not a terribly big deal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The 3600 is great but if I'm gonna put all that work into building a whole PC and with the cost of all the other parts, I'm just not sure it'd be worth going for less than a 3700X for the extra 70 dollars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Id wait a month at least. Slightly faster 3000 series processors are supposed to come next month and if you can wait 4ish months you can get 4000 series.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Wouldn't recommend being a first adopter if you haven't built a new pc in a long time. 4000 series will be a bit more expensive and will sell out minutes after shipping for months. Many of the b450 boards won't get the needed bios updates for a while, if ever, to support it; and the ones that do will need a donor cpu just to update the bios (x570s too.) Took a quite a while after the 3000s were out for most b450 boards to start shipping with bios support pre installed.

• 2Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for the tips. Checked the 3700x but it is around 150 bucks more than the 3600 here in Sweden. Think I'll pounce on the 3600.

This is the first time I switch to AMD since I had the AMD K6-2 back during the stone age.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Been going through a few desk and monitor arm configurations. Finally found a good clean display setup. Just got everything plugged in and working with my old kb and mouse. Will switch over to the new wireless ones after sleepy time.

Using this:

and this:

Just to follow up the new wireless kb/mouse on the chair arm thingy has been fucking awesome. I moved my old setup downstairs to my work from home area, and moved my old dinner table solution back into storage so it has been win/win/win. My stretch goal is going to be getting my laptop connected to the other monitor. Just got a razer 16gb ram 500gb ssd and gtx2070 last fall, and it is a beast. I am thinking to get a thunderbolt 3 hub, and an a/b cable for the kb/mouse so I can have both computers doing their thing.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So i am trying to decide if its worth it to do a custom cooling solution for my build or just go with a nice 360mm AIO solution. Aside from the obvious flex im not sure i want to do with a custom solution having never done it before. Especially considering i'll be dumping 3-4k into it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I would only go custom if you want the bling. If you do want the bling, this thing is crazy:

Can pre-order it for $1500

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
GPU temps are significantly better on water I feel like. And it feels good. It's not really necessary, but it's definitely cool.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So i am trying to decide if its worth it to do a custom cooling solution for my build or just go with a nice 360mm AIO solution. Aside from the obvious flex im not sure i want to do with a custom solution having never done it before. Especially considering i'll be dumping 3-4k into it.

AIO no doubt.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I have a 360 AIO i will be doing in push/pull on my Core P3 - It will have a bit of useless bling tossed in as i currently have a Asus Ryujin 360 that i will replace the fans with RGB and use the stock in the rear. The PSU is the Asus Thor for more pointless RGB etc, with that and the other disco shit i will toss on it i guess that will be enough if i dont go big on water. I assume there will be an RGB 3080 variant running around as well if not the 3090.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any experience with these or anything like them? I want to try something like this because fuck all the cabling involved in rgb fans

Louis

Trakanon Raider

I just did a custom loop with corsairs new line. Didnt do the gpu yet as their block has reported leaking. I dont look forward to draining it and adding it in the upcoming weeks.

I went from corsairs aio to this and it did provide better temps by like 5-10 degrees, so it was really just for the looks and to say I did it. If it is your first time prepare for some research and frustration.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I did corsair blocks as well, but I think I'm going to go EK in the future. I don't like the appearance in person as much as I thought I would.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I did corsair blocks as well, but I think I'm going to go EK in the future. I don't like the appearance in person as much as I thought I would.

Same on both. Thankfully they didnt have a block for my 2080. Theres videos online of people putting very little pressure at the mount and it dripping because of bad design.

I felt like it was difficult to find parts outside of corsair, Ek, and thermaltake or I just didn't know where to look. After my build was complete I found the reddit page for customcooling and realized I could have had much better, but probably end up spending twice as much.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Same on both. Thankfully they didnt have a block for my 2080. Theres videos online of people putting very little pressure at the mount and it dripping because of bad design.

I felt like it was difficult to find parts outside of corsair, Ek, and thermaltake or I just didn't know where to look. After my build was complete I found the reddit page for customcooling and realized I could have had much better, but probably end up spending twice as much.
You can definitely spend a fucking ton on custom watercooling. It kind of just goes to show how much it is something you do because you want to, not because you need to. There is tons of cool shit out there though

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any experience with these or anything like them? I want to try something like this because fuck all the cabling involved in rgb fans

I don't but if you get them make sure to report how they are.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I don't but if you get them make sure to report how they are.
Initial reaction is I'm not going to buy them because they don't look like they have good static pressure (I'd be putting them on radiators) and I guess they only have 7 colors? Spent some time looking since my post and it seems like they tech isn't really their yet :( Fuck knows why, it's a very good solution to the problems we have with wiring these days, and I can't imagine it's that complicated