Desktop Computers

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why is RGB a thing? :p I personally don't want the damn case glowing and flashing and disturbing me from the corner of the eye. The only RGB I support is backlit keyboard keys so I can see them in the dark. :eek:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Why is RGB a thing? :p I personally don't want the damn case glowing and flashing and disturbing me from the corner of the eye. The only RGB I support is backlit keyboard keys so I can see them in the dark. :eek:
I generally have it all off in my case, but it does make a nice show piece or night light if I want to game in the dark. I have mine set to a pretty dark purple though, so it's not obtrusive.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

I really have no answer other than no reason not too. Not to mention I generally sell off a rig as I build a new one and people love to buy rgb. If you plan to sell a system that looks better will always sell before a system more powerful at same price. I didn’t start rgb till the year before last and those dam Thermaltake fans ran me over $300 for 12.The next build will use the 360 masterfan as the pusher and nothing else.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My next build is gonna be built with my now 7 year old son, so it's gonna be RGB all over the place because I know he'll like it and enjoy it. Those rainbow fans that look all cool and rainbow while spinning are really cool. Also like the ones that kinda hypnotic while spinning. It's gonna be a good time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

Canceled the order I made and will continue to look for options. It seems some motherboards dont support the 3000 series out of the box and I'm not about to buy a CPU just to flash it. Asus B450-I (mITX) was the one I ordered first. Will have too look around for an alternative that works right away. Otherwise I'll just buy a new case again that fit a normal size card which seems to have more options.

Edit: It might have been compatible now that I read about it, depends if you get a newer motherboard with the correct patch. But all the same, they did not have all the parts in so I will order from somewhere else. Considering just paying the 140dollar extra for the 3700x this time around. Might be better to futureproof

Last edited:

Daidraco

I think it's all in location. Not only the location of the RGB and whats emitting the light in/on the computer, but also where it's located in the house/office/etc. I'm a fan of the all white builds, or black on white builds. I'm also a fan of sleek looking RGB, regardless of color as long as it has a theme - which in mind, is noticeable but not over the top pieces emitting RGB on the Video card, Ram, Mobo and (very rarely) the case. But fans emitting a ton of light, or the rain bow puke, or any of that stuff - it just doesnt look good to me (personally).

It's similar to what Linus was saying on tech talk about the PS5 - you may have just gotten boring as you became an adult. - Having RGB in your computer isnt necessarily childish in my opinion, but if you have RGB done in a tasteful, thematic way, then what is really the problem? A black and white build would look fine in my ideally... finished living room. But having a bunch of circus lights going crazy is going to look like shit.

Aazrael

Yeah RGB can look neat I agree with that. It's just me that don't like light disturbing me. I prefer the pitch black room when gaming.

Seems hard to find all components in stock at various retailers but they are now packaging my 3700x with mobo and ram.

How is overlooking with the 3600/3700x? Stock cooler enough or do you need something fancier? Also is it even necessary to OC?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah RGB can look neat I agree with that. It's just me that don't like light disturbing me. I prefer the pitch black room when gaming.

Seems hard to find all components in stock at various retailers but they are now packaging my 3700x with mobo and ram.

How is overlooking with the 3600/3700x? Stock cooler enough or do you need something fancier? Also is it even necessary to OC?
IMO as I did a deep dive of OCing my 3900x - and I assume 3700x is the same architecture just less cores.

Not worth it, here's why.

The ryzen CPUs have incredible boosting per core. I found through investigating that my CPU had one good chiplet and one bad chiplet. What I mean is 6 cores I could OC to 4.5GHz and 6 others to 4.3. But on single core performance I noticed the CPU would boost cores as needed to those exact upper limits that I found. OCing this chip will run it very hot because you're at the top end all the time. With boosting you're sitting at 3.8GHz (in my case) until needed.

So while you'll score a little high on cinebench, there's no real world time you'll have all cores fully boosted for an extended workload. Unless you're rendering videos, then ignore me.

I found while gaming that the appropriate cores boosted as needed and it worked flawlessly. To me it's not worth the added temps and strain on the CPU. Plus if you OC, you disable boost 100% which is removing their best feature.

I spent about a week OCing my chip and researching and consensus was it isn't worth it from everyone pretty much. That said, I always OCed my Intel chips.

I still use a noctua cooler over the wrath, but that's completely up to you.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
3700x is defiantly not an overclocker's cpu.

There's no way right now to change single core boost clocks while manually oc'ing a Ryzen. Combine that with the fact that Ryzens at stock boost themselves based on temperature (and other factors) at every ~5C, has heavily reduced oc gains. A small under-volt can have some benefits, just not to performance. Infinity fabric can be overclocked but that depends on silicon, the memory controller, your motherboard, bios, and ram.

A beefier cooler will get you some better clocks from the lower temperatures, especially all core with pbo enabled. However the 3700x has a pretty low tdp and comes with the prism cooler, so you probably won't get much value from buying an aftermarket cooler.

Biggest gains you can get are usually from memory tuning. Even that might not be worth the time it takes to get right and test for stability, unless you have b-die.

Only thing you really need is remembering to enable xmp, that's still technically overclocking according to some manufacturers.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Definitely recommend manually doing RAM timings.

I got my b-die steelvipers 4133@cl19to 3600@cl14

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Overclocking CPUs is a hobbyist thing. Noodle is right, the normal per-core boosting algorithm on the latest generations of both AMD and Intel are smart enough to give you the power you want in most situations. Or you can just do the multicore enhancement and boost ever core if you're not into the whole power efficiency thing. But getting those 5.3ghz clocks or whatever is not really useful for any practical purposes.

RAM timings are a lot more productive to play with. Getting down to low CL actually does have a noticeable impact on overall FPS in some games and desktop responsiveness, and a major impact on minimum frametimes in some types of games.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

There's no way right now to change single core boost clocks while manually oc'ing a Ryzen. Combine that with the fact that Ryzens at stock boost themselves based on temperature (and other factors) at every ~5C, has heavily reduced oc gains. A small under-volt can have some benefits, just not to performance. Infinity fabric can be overclocked but that depends on silicon, the memory controller, your motherboard, bios, and ram.

A beefier cooler will get you some better clocks from the lower temperatures, especially all core with pbo enabled. However the 3700x has a pretty low tdp and comes with the prism cooler, so you probably won't get much value from buying an aftermarket cooler.

Biggest gains you can get are usually from memory tuning. Even that might not be worth the time it takes to get right and test for stability, unless you have b-die.

Only thing you really need is remembering to enable xmp, that's still technically overclocking according to some manufacturers.

Stock cooler is fine, but it is a dust buster compared to a Noctua.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
None of the Ryzen chips have since the 1000 series, AMD has pushed them more or less as high as they can out of the box. The only thing you should be doing is keeping it as cool as possible so it clocks as high as possible.
Definitely recommend manually doing RAM timings.

I got my b-die steelvipers 4133@cl19to 3600@cl14

Yeah still plenty of performance left on the table when it comes to memory especially with how sensitive Ryzen is to memory timings.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

These went up for pre-order a few hours ago.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

These went up for pre-order a few hours ago.
I can't imagine dropping $800 on a 1440p monitor in 2020. This 240hz shit is snakeoil. 144hz is more than you need.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Curved and HDR 600? Meh.

I'm still hanging on to my 24" 1080p Acer as my primary because I'm stingy. Waiting for a good 1440p HDR 1000 monitor ate a reasonable price and I expect to wait another year or two.

• 1Like