Desktop Computers

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think I picked some "bad" rams in my eagerness to press buy. I had no clue what to look for.

What specs do you guys recommend for the ram for a 3700x that is still on the low price side?

3200vs3600mhz and what cl to aim for?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
3200vs3600mhz and what cl to aim for?
Ideally 3600mhz with lowest timings. First check your motherboards compatibility list and make sure the memory you are buying is rated to run at its speeds on it. You dont necessarily need to buy 3600mhz cl14 or 15 memory, you can buy a 3200mhz kit and overclock it to that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Get a b-die set of sticks. When I was looking, the steel viper 4133 fit the bill. They very easily OCed to 3600@cl14. That said, ideally you want a board where you can do 3800 at low timings for ryzen. Mine just wouldn't make it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most of your games are GPU bound, rather than CPU bound. If you have 3700X, like others have said.. just stay with your current clock speed. OC'ing is neat to mess around with, but the reality is.. that an 8 core, versus a 12 core, versus the 24 core - most of your games are going to have very similar FPS. Like others have said, buy good memory and OC that. Nexus did a video on ram not to long ago and the difference was at minimum, very noticeable FPS increase.

On a different note - People have pretty much brain stormed the prices on Video Cards for the 3000 series. $2000 bucks, for a "suspected" 3090 series and expected to sell out at launch. That shit is just wild to me considering I have no knowledge of any major title that will take advantage of that power now, or in the foreseeable future.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I lowered the timings and frequency on my steel viper ram. It was 4133MHz @CL19, but I tuned it down to 3600MHz @CL14 (CAS Latency).

Ryzen uses an infinity fabric where you want to use a frequency that is half of your target, ie I set them to 1800 and the infinity fabric is 2:1

In other words I made them very fast.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

BIG ASS grain of salt

If it's $1000 for the 3080ti and 6900XT zero chance I would go AMD

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

BIG ASS grain of salt

If it's $1000 for the 3080ti and 6900XT zero chance I would go AMD

I don't know man. I think a 25% plus gain in frames for at least a couple hundred less than the current best card on the market is...tolerable. Plus I think the 3080ti will be around 1500 I'm betting. I'm hoping AMD will come in closer to 700-800 bucks though, these pricing rumors be damned.

Argarth

On the verandah
"Get your head in the game with the 49 inch Odyssey G9, which matches the curve of the human eye, for maximum immersion and minimal eye strain..."

LOL, the marketing department really took the gloves off with that clunker. Are there really customers out there retarded enough to swallow that nonsense?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Honestly do any of us even read any of the marketing buzzwords? We're all pretty tech savvy people, even those on the board that buy prebuilts for the most part. I have check boxes I need checked, and if a piece of tech hits them then I deep dive in reviews.

Argarth

On the verandah
Honestly do any of us even read any of the marketing buzzwords? We're all pretty tech savvy people, even those on the board that buy prebuilts for the most part. I have check boxes I need checked, and if a piece of tech hits them then I deep dive in reviews.

Oh sure, but it's clearly aimed at someone, since it's plastered load and clear at the very top of that product feature page. I get it, corporate bullshit etc. etc. but this time it's just so dumb that it actually made me laugh.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know man. I think a 25% plus gain in frames for at least a couple hundred less than the current best card on the market is...tolerable. Plus I think the 3080ti will be around 1500 I'm betting. I'm hoping AMD will come in closer to 700-800 bucks though, these pricing rumors be damned.

While it is all still rumors, the rumor is the 3080ti will be in the $1000 range while the 3090ti will be the $1500 card.

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Felt like complaining - 15 months after a new build, my Corsair H100i AIO cooler shits the bed. Fans started running full blast while I was remoted in for work, then when I re-started the computer wouldn't start due to CPU temps over 85C. Sounds like the pump gave up the ghost. Installed a regular way cooler master fan and instantly back down to 35C under load.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I will buy whatever brand has the best performance per watt this generation. It is all I care about at this point.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I will buy whatever brand has the best performance per watt this generation. It is all I care about at this point.

That's an odd way to choose a card no? I mean it's one of the decisions in choosing a card yes, but not even in my top three reasons to chose said card.