Desktop Computers

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Nah, at this point dont bother upgrading to 8, just wait for the free upgrade to 10.

And your new SSD might come with cloning software, all of the new Samsung drives do, it's a super quick & easy process if you're just cloning SSD to SSD(I'd never recommend cloning an OS from mechanical HD to SSD)
Ok I will do that. Is it easiest to just clone from my M4 to my new SSD while both are connected? It's a crucial 500 gb that's coming tomorrow and it comes with its own cloning software.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What is the earliest build of windows 10 i should install as a daily driver, and when is that build expected to be released? I want to pull the trigger on a the 27" dell 60hz 4k ips monitor @ $500 but want to wait until scaling is fixed

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ok I will do that. Is it easiest to just clone from my M4 to my new SSD while both are connected? It's a crucial 500 gb that's coming tomorrow and it comes with its own cloning software.
Thats what I did, I connected both. Connect new drive, run cloning software to clone old drive over to new drive, reboot PC into bios options, flag the new SSD as your boot drive, and gtg.

Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes tops.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Don't think AMD would go under completely. At least I'd hope someone would buy them out. Maybe split them up some. But completely bankrupt leaving no competition? Nah.

None of this is a surprise, though. Their computers suck ass. Still a lot of decent hardware/components, but that doesn't pay the bills nor win public opinion usually. I remember at my last job one quarter there was a massive switch from Intel to the 'new' AMD A-# processors, and holy shit it was a tough sell and you couldn't even lie to customers as even the most ignorant knew they just weren't as good as anything Intel in a laptop.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Don't think AMD would go under completely. At least I'd hope someone would buy them out. Maybe split them up some. But completely bankrupt leaving no competition? Nah.

None of this is a surprise, though. Their computers suck ass. Still a lot of decent hardware/components, but that doesn't pay the bills nor win public opinion usually. I remember at my last job one quarter there was a massive switch from Intel to the 'new' AMD A-# processors, and holy shit it was a tough sell and you couldn't even lie to customers as even the most ignorant knew they just weren't as good as anything Intel in a laptop.
There was talk of Samsung considering buying them a couple weeks ago -Samsung may be mulling an AMD acquisition s what could happen | ExtremeTech

Unrelated, trying to play Arma3 my 5 year-old i7 920 build has never felt older. Might be time to do something about that.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone recommend a decent 2TB or higher external hard drive? Nothing super fancy, its for downloads.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone recommend a decent 2TB or higher external hard drive? Nothing super fancy, its for downloads.
you of course want them all to be USB3, usb2 is a pain.

The WD passports are good, but SLOW as shit, even if they're on USB3, i have 2 for when i travel and one for the wife.

WD passports have their own boot up software, which i don't mind, cuz it's password protection, there is no ac adapter needed, runs entirely off usb cable.

If this is a home external drive, i'd recommend
Amazon.com: Fantom 2TB Greendrive3 64MB Cache USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (GD2000U3A): Electronics

that's the green version, if you want an even faster 7200rpm
Amazon.com: Fantom Professional GFP2000EU3 2TB 7200 RPM USB 3.0/eSATA Aluminum External Hard Drive: Computers Accessories

These are regular hard drives in an external case, no fan(no noise) and no pre-boot software, you will be using an ac adapter.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I confused if Evga gtx 970 is a bag of dicks this series seems like there are issues but I can't find anything specific. Was looking at msi but the evga super superclocked acx2.0 is $30 cheeper and faster out of box but I'll pay more for better reliability.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I confused if Evga gtx 970 is a bag of dicks this series seems like there are issues but I can't find anything specific. Was looking at msi but the evga super superclocked acx2.0 is $30 cheeper and faster out of box but I'll pay more for better reliability.
If you need to use all 4gb of the video memory on the 970, then yeah it's a bag of dicks and you should avoid it. Otherwise, it plays games just fine. What resolution and games do you play?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think he meant brand, not card.

EVGA is pretty much the gold standard for customer support for their video cards. That's not to say it's good, just better than the others.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I meant brand. A lot of chatter online is that people are not that happy with the brand with the 900s and are defecting to msi and gigabyte. Seems like a lot of it has to do with the first acx fans but, I was wondering if anyone had heard anything here. Not worried about the 4gb vs 3.5gb since I onlyat at 1080 and at most might move up to 1440 in the future.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I meant brand. A lot of chatter online is that people are not that happy with the brand with the 900s and are defecting to msi and gigabyte. Seems like a lot of it has to do with the first acx fans but, I was wondering if anyone had heard anything here. Not worried about the 4gb vs 3.5gb since I onlyat at 1080 and at most might move up to 1440 in the future.
I switched from EVGA to Gigabyte when I upgraded by 570 to a 770. Fantastic card, although I cannot comment on support because I haven't needed it.

Also, my new 500 Gb SSD rocks. I cannot imagine living without it now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've been using an EVGA 970 since they launched 6-7 months ago, it's been great. Zero problems. I've always had good luck with EVGA cards, had an EVGA 660Ti and an EVGA amd 4770 before that, all great cards.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
<3 EVGA. Had a PSU blow up my rig a few years ago, fried 2 gtx 470s and 2 OCZ SSD. They replaced them without issue, excellent experience. For the OCZ drives as well.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
thanks for the replies looks like they are giving away a free backplate this month too so so I'm thinking I'll go that direction.