Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Have you tried the Ember Caves area on Venus? Its the area with the entrance to House of Winter; there are 5 caves that can have chests, and 4-5 spawns of Bloom. Might not get 100/hr, but its pretty good.
I will give it a shot, most of my stuff is already maxed out so I will only need to do it if I get a raid upgrade so in no huge rush.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
holy sweet mother of fuck!! Was that one of you I did the raid with rigjt now?! I just got the void auto rifle and the legendary sparrow from the end boss!!

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Got the thorn bounty. The PvP part is retarded. Kinda thinking about getting 5 people to queue for a FFA match and let me kill them. Getting my points that way is much less infuriating.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So I changed my mindset from playing this from "What a fucking disappointment" to more of a "Who cares just go shoot some stuff and do random things" and it's fun enough from the shooting mechanics to just mess around. I am about halfway through the Venus missions now and did a strike on Earth. So now I have a question because I never paid much attention to it before.

My Hunter gets items with either Discipline or Strength. Which one matters? If any? Should I concentrate on anything?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Sooo the leaked content list mined from the mission select bug over the weekend ([Video] A players level select screen bugs out and reveals future content including strikes and raids : DestinyTheGame) seems to show quite a bit of Story in the Cosmodrome that should have been part of the original release. I noted several pages ago that there is a story thread about the Hive invading Earth with a seeder that your Ghost talks about when you are doing missions on the moon that seemed to be missing. Turns out there are missions about that very thing that are part of one of the upcoming DLC 'expansions'

It is also noteworthy that aside from the raid that takes place in The Reef all the 'expansion' content takes place on existing maps and so it doesn't seem as if we will be getting any truly new areas for quite some time.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So I changed my mindset from playing this from "What a fucking disappointment" to more of a "Who cares just go shoot some stuff and do random things" and it's fun enough from the shooting mechanics to just mess around. I am about halfway through the Venus missions now and did a strike on Earth. So now I have a question because I never paid much attention to it before.

My Hunter gets items with either Discipline or Strength. Which one matters? If any? Should I concentrate on anything?
With Blade dancer, you can select "Fast Twitch", which makes your melee skill about a 5 second cooldown. With fast twitch selected, Strength is useless. I like Int and Disc

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It is also noteworthy that aside from the raid that takes place in The Reef all the 'expansion' content takes place on existing maps and so it doesn't seem as if we will be getting any truly new areas for quite some time.
I just assumed that's what happened the minute I saw the ad for the "expansion pass". Something got ripped out and packed up for DLC.

The Angry Joe review of Destiny is spot on from start to finish. Destiny has some superb, even flawless concepts. I actually think they stumbled onto something absolutely brilliant in using gear to directly level "maxed out" characters. In fact, I wish they had gone a step further and done away with levels 1-20 entirely, and just did the gear = level thing from the start. it's beautifully implemented, and a ton of fun to level up new items etc. What holds it all back at 20 is the awful, awful grind.

There's no smooth path of progression. I went from 1-10 in a day, 11-20 in a day... and then was stuck at 20 for over a week. A couple of good missions and Xur got me from 20 to 24 in a single evening, and then getting vanguard rank 2 pushed me from 24 to 26 with a single item buy + an upgrade. I am now staring at a solid brick wall until I start farming enough Ascendant Shards to push through it. Other than saving coins for an exotic weapon, I'm pretty much done.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sooo the leaked content list mined from the mission select bug over the weekend ([Video] A players level select screen bugs out and reveals future content including strikes and raids : DestinyTheGame) seems to show quite a bit of Story in the Cosmodrome that should have been part of the original release. I noted several pages ago that there is a story thread about the Hive invading Earth with a seeder that your Ghost talks about when you are doing missions on the moon that seemed to be missing. Turns out there are missions about that very thing that are part of one of the upcoming DLC 'expansions'

So. Wonder how much content was cut out so they could repackage it as DLC? Both DLC packs I am assuming. Because one doesn't pump out that amount of content post launch unless it was already on stand by. Gets fucking worse by the minute. Because the content they do have from a story perspective is some of the worst shit I have seen in any video game, hands down, since I played Back to the Future on NES. And it's not only the rinse and repeat missions of the story content, but the horrible voice acting. Now that I am on Venus at least now I can hear "OH NO... THE VEX!" every ... single... story... mission. Oh hey three waves. At least it isn't "OH NO... THE FALLEN!". Can't wait for Mars.

I am starting to think this entire project was re-tooled in late 2011, early 2012, and this is the shit we received. Again, good gunplay. Decent loot system although nothing ever fun drops in the time I have leveled to 12 so far. Not one blue item. But horrible comms system, no excuse for what is completely repetitive gameplay from the story missions and the rinse and repeat level design per planet. Some strikes are horribly tuned.

I hope no one buys their DLC as a result.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The voice acting really doesn't bother me all that much. It's almost always the worst part of a video game. People seem to expect the ghost to sound like Tyrion Lannister, but it's clear Dinklage was going for something else. Is it a little phoned in? Yeah, probably. It's also one of the least of Destiny's problems.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The voice acting really doesn't bother me all that much. It's almost always the worst part of a video game. People seem to expect the ghost to sound like Tyrion Lannister, but it's clear Dinklage was going for something else. Is it a little phoned in? Yeah, probably. It's also one of the least of Destiny's problems.
Oh I agree. But that is just another negative piled on a shitload of negatives. At least had the voice acting been better with better protagonist character development, some of the humor between the two could have been a lot more fun to bare having to go through the same damn 3 waves of enemies while your ghost hacks something. Phoned in is a compliment. I see Dinklage rolling his eyes at what has to be one of the most poorly written scripts of all time, and it definitely feels like he is rolling his eyes while he reads his lines. The problem with the story (And there should be a good story to encompass the world) is that the story sucks, the voice acting sucks, and at least sometimes that can be made up with fun mission encounters. And those REALLY suck once you realize it's the same damn mission every single time. Add in to the fact everything else that is going on, it's only fitting we find out they cut launch content to resell as DLC. Even with Halo through it's rinse and repeat environments, Cortana made it better. And it had more varity, with vehicles and just about everything else in the mission concepts.

Bungle should be completely ashamed of themselves for putting out such an underdeveloped, lackluster, pile of shit.

spronk

FPS noob
discipline = grenade cooldown, int = super power cooldown, strength = melee special attack timer for all 3 classes I believe. On your character sheet if you mouse over the stats on the right side it'll tell you the current effect on you so you can swap pieces of gear and see.

For PVE I think most will want to favor disc over the other two stats, but purples always have two stats (str/dis, int/dis, or int/str - i always go int/dis). I don't think str is useful that much for PVE since the times you can run up and punch something is ... small. However for PVP its a good stat, although it sorta varies more with the PVP map and your PVP play style (long range, flag protector, etc).

the other thing to keep in mind is that purple/exotic gear have different bonuses, like more ammo for X weapon or faster reload times. So the exact same armor can have very different bonuses and it will vary every day from vendors (or every engram), so ideally you'd want one that matches your mostly used weapons. In PVE I usually use handgun and sniper (ice breaker) so I look for armor that boosts that, for PVP I use suros (auto) and shotgun. Its a bit of a pain having to constantly reswitch all my gear depending on play mode and activity, wish there was a gear set manager.

The most important thing is getting to light level 28 though, which is an exotic fully upgraded, and 3 purple armor pieces upgraded to everything but the last tier and one upgraded once or twice in that last tree (98 or 99 light I believe?). Being BELOW an enemys level puts you at a severe disadvantage, but being higher than them doesn't really do anything.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Don't know what it is, but I haven't had any interest in logging in this weekend. Got Suros Friday night, but haven't used it on anything yet. May log on later this week, but may not as Shadows of Mordor comes out Tuesday - hope its good!

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
discipline = grenade cooldown, int = super power cooldown, strength = melee special attack timer for all 3 classes I believe. On your character sheet if you mouse over the stats on the right side it'll tell you the current effect on you so you can swap pieces of gear and see.

For PVE I think most will want to favor disc over the other two stats, but purples always have two stats (str/dis, int/dis, or int/str - i always go int/dis). I don't think str is useful that much for PVE since the times you can run up and punch something is ... small. However for PVP its a good stat, although it sorta varies more with the PVP map and your PVP play style (long range, flag protector, etc).

the other thing to keep in mind is that purple/exotic gear have different bonuses, like more ammo for X weapon or faster reload times. So the exact same armor can have very different bonuses and it will vary every day from vendors (or every engram), so ideally you'd want one that matches your mostly used weapons. In PVE I usually use handgun and sniper (ice breaker) so I look for armor that boosts that, for PVP I use suros (auto) and shotgun. Its a bit of a pain having to constantly reswitch all my gear depending on play mode and activity, wish there was a gear set manager.

The most important thing is getting to light level 28 though, which is an exotic fully upgraded, and 3 purple armor pieces upgraded to everything but the last tier and one upgraded once or twice in that last tree (98 or 99 light I believe?). Being BELOW an enemys level puts you at a severe disadvantage, but being higher than them doesn't really do anything.
Ok thanks
smile.png

Springbok PM me an update once you start playing Middle Earth. Looks good.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So. Wonder how much content was cut out so they could repackage it as DLC? Both DLC packs I am assuming. Because one doesn't pump out that amount of content post launch unless it was already on stand by. Gets fucking worse by the minute. Because the content they do have from a story perspective is some of the worst shit I have seen in any video game, hands down, since I played Back to the Future on NES. And it's not only the rinse and repeat missions of the story content, but the horrible voice acting. Now that I am on Venus at least now I can hear "OH NO... THE VEX!" every ... single... story... mission. Oh hey three waves. At least it isn't "OH NO... THE FALLEN!". Can't wait for Mars.

I am starting to think this entire project was re-tooled in late 2011, early 2012, and this is the shit we received. Again, good gunplay. Decent loot system although nothing ever fun drops in the time I have leveled to 12 so far. Not one blue item. But horrible comms system, no excuse for what is completely repetitive gameplay from the story missions and the rinse and repeat level design per planet. Some strikes are horribly tuned.

I hope no one buys their DLC as a result.
I bought the CE which comes with the DLC
frown.png
Well I'm not pissed at buying the CE but I am pissed that it looks like the DLC is just the standard content that should have been in the game on release. The progression curve is seriously screwed up right now and needs to be smoothed out and lengthened. Likely coming in the DLC. The RNG Cryptarch boss needs to be nerfed into oblivion (This is coming in the SoonT patch). The local chat options need to be implemented/fixed (Also coming in the SoonT patch).

QoL issues I could use but aren't as necessary as the above
Music controls need to be implemented. (Yes the music is amazing but I need to hear other players!)
Glimmer dumps need to be implemented (Already have 10 ammo packs of every type kthxbai and screw throwing money at the Cryptarch boss)
Cutscene skip needs to be implemented. (Yes I know you can go to orbit early but if I forget I should still be able to hold a button down or set a menu setting to skip all cutscenes after I've seen them once.)
In game Grimmorie. (Seriously why does this even need to be a request?)
Clan gathering/grouping options in game.
Party chat is actually decent on the PS4. Can it not be implemented without the need to exit the game to answer/send invites?
Get rid of impossible Bounties. (Salvage bounty when no salvage matches are up? Queen's bounties that require rep rewards on day 2 of the event?)
Individual shaders for each gear slot.
Cosmetic gear skin transfers. (Hey here is a easy glimmer dump option right here!)
Unlockable Ghost sound packs from DLC and/or Grimmorie unlocks.
Ship Shaders.
Speeder Shaders.
Speeder Models.