Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

spronk

FPS noob
yuge update today, 2.2 gigs on PS4 brings out the holiday themed Dawning event from Dec 13th - Jan 3d. Sparrow Racing League is back, as are a bunch of new daily and weekly PVE bounties for strikes and nightfalls that rewards loot and crates and cosmetics and shit. Lot of small quality of life improvements too like greens auto shard into mats on pickup or buying wormspore for marks. Played a few games of SRL and all in all it seems great, the record book stuff doesn't require wins or first place finishes just matches complete so thats nice. Loot and drops seem to be raining down everywhere and people have already discovered a few secret stuff like a new hidden mount.

• 1SJW
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
The Road Ahead > News | Bungie.net

Sequels represent the start of a new adventure for every player, with new worlds to explore, new stories to tell, new powers to acquire, new loot to earn, and much more. This led us to a decision that would enable us to serve both the game and the player’s best interests: Destiny 1 power, possessions, and Eververse-related items and currency will not carry forward. They will, however, remain accessible to you in Destiny 1.

We know that, just like us, you have grown fond of the Guardians you’ve created, so we do plan to preserve your character personalization. We are going to recognize the dedication and passion you’ve shown for this world. Specifically, the class, race, gender, face, hair, and marking selections for all characters that have achieved Level 20 and completed the Black Garden story mission will carry forward. We also plan to award those veteran accounts with honors that reflect your Destiny 1 accomplishments.

more than I expected - your char visuals and achievements will carry forward, but not classes/powers/armor/etc. New final event for Destiny 1, Age of Triumph, will be unveiled in the next 3 weeks.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm kind of disappointed they won't allow us to at least to carry some of the weapons over as skins only to apply to newer weapons.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
destiny is a good game that Bungie never gave up on.

I am impressed that they are going this far and make the franchise successful. Last three weeks, I've been raiding and grinding my warlock. It has been an absolute blast. Plus, the lore is amazing and it makes sense now.

Impressive come back and thank god Bungie did this...

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
destiny is a good game that Bungie never gave up on.

I am impressed that they are going this far and make the franchise successful. Last three weeks, I've been raiding and grinding my warlock. It has been an absolute blast. Plus, the lore is amazing and it makes sense now.

Impressive come back and thank god Bungie did this...

It does? whats changed to not make it a shit stain of a story?

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, people hate on this game but whatever. Probably the most fun I had in a game since like EQ or WoW in the sher time I spent in it. Their biggest mistake IMO was catering to old ass consoles at the start, thus basically hamstringing themselves into shitty core design of this game. That and not providing a way for players to meet up in game, instead of relying on external websites and phone apps to do it.

I think D2 is going to be even better and grander and I cant fucking wait. Plus I hear its going to be on PC too, which should be interesting.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If it makes it to PC id play D2 but otherwise this sequel is a no go.

• 1Solidarity

Mao

Trakanon Raider
How many people are still playing this? I always enjoyed it, and while I finished the Oryx raid on easy I've never done any of the raids in the latest expansion. Anyone still playing this shit regularly that would be interested in a +1 just for completion if nothing else?

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I always try and go back, start leveling or gearing up, can't ever get in with a group of people playing, and given its age, no one on my friends list is playing, and then quit, because I don't want to deal with PuGs. Regret not being in on the ground floor when this shit was popular with FoH.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
this game could use revamping social interaction and engagement.
it would make the game 100% more successful..

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I still play but I'm on XB1, I've yet to complete a raid due to not having enough friends that play and PUGs for the raids have absolutely no patience. We got all the way to the last boss on the Wrath of the Machine a few times but people start bailing.

The new final event stuff sounds cool to get to see the old raids, but like I said, I have no one to play with. Definitely going PC next time so I have FoH people to play with.

spronk

FPS noob
FOH people are less reliable than pugs. I never had a problem finding groups with destinylfg.net just watch vids of all the bosses before hand and never, ever, ever admit you haven't done the entire raid already

tuesdays are also the best day to do raids since all the nerds who are addicted to destiny play right after reset

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I never had luck with PuGs, Every time I tried a raid with pugs it was always fail. Maybe it was jsut my bad luck, but meh.

Anyway, the new update they revealed, old raids revised, and all or most of the elemental primaries from VoG are being brought back.

Vorph

Rather than clutter up the D2 thread with anymore questions I'll just necro this one...

Anyone played this recently enough to give some advice about what to do at 40? My Titan hit 40 before I even finished the Y1 DLCs, and I have the boost to use still on one of my other two characters (can't decide which). So now I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do to raise my light level. It's currently still under 200. I dumped all the blue engrams I got in the vault since I have no idea how the really bizarre-sounding revamped loot system works. Titan (defender) isn't as fun as I remember it being, so I'm leaning towards focusing on nightstalker hunter for whatever time I spend between now and D2.

Are there any exotic quests easy enough to bother with at this point, besides the one that upgrades the starter AR to an exotic? Like ones that don't require weeks/months of faction work or raiding, or PVP at all. My willingness to PVP is strictly limited to doing the daily/weekly crucible for marks, and most days I don't even feel like doing that.

Currency wise, I have a bunch of old stuff and I've only figured out the conversion of class-specific armor parts to the generic kind. I have a pile of Ascendant Energy/Shards and Motes of Light that I don't know what to do with now. Convert the Ascendant stuff into Motes, and then use the Motes for ________ ? I have basically no legendary marks besides the 15 a day I've gotten for completing an event since starting up again. Strange Coins, I think I have like 60-70... Monte Carlo worth buying from Xur today since I don't have enough marks to buy any Y2/3 versions of the Y1 exotics I have?

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
Put on your highest light level gear and decrypt one blue at a time. Put the new piece on (its always going to be higher light level than what you are wearing) decrypt the next blue and put it on. Repeat this until you are out of blues. Find more engrams, keep repeating.

Pretty sure if you use that boost you will get a bunch of gear higher light lever than you are now. Maybe 335? I don't really know because all my toons was max light prior to RoI but those sparks are supposed to catch you up to whatever the current expansion is.

Buy as many three of coins as you can each week from Xur and pop them when you do relative content. Use exotics to boost light level.

Grinding strikes always works.

Go to Archons Forge and grind in there for loot.

Iron banner when it comes around each month is the easiest way to get 400 gear assuming you are getting close to that mark.

Doing PvP in the general crucible will drop a bunch of weapons you can use or infuse.

You can turn motes of light or heavy ammo synths in at whatever faction quartermaster you picked to get packages which always drop higher than your current light level.

For the most part exotics are useless because you can get legendaries with better rolls. Some are worth equipping like the icebreaker, and gjallarhorn. It depends on how good of rolls you have on your weapon legendaries I guess.

Every Tuesday all the vendors reset so check them for godrolls.

Go to the gunsmith and do the test weapons, each rank up will give you a random weapon that he offers. The only packages worth buying are...
pdx-45 (pulse rifle)
arminus d (auto rifle)
dis-47 (scout rifle)
zarinaea d (auto rifle)
jlb-47 (rocket launcher)

Really though just doing whatever you want to be doing should be giving you engrams to raise your light. So I'd just do whatever you like doing and you should progress.

I still play the shit out of this game, but I only really do PvP. You can add me on PS4 if you want (gonzythemage) and I'll pm you what ever is good to buy from the vendors each week. I doubt their is enough interest on this board to warrant me keeping this up to date each week with weapon roll guides, and also reddit does a good job covering them if you can stand the salt.

Last edited:

Vorph

Thanks. Still not really sure what I'm doing but I bought the Monte Carlo before Xur left when I realized I had a lot more coins that I thought. Didn't get any Three of Coins though, oops. What I'd really like is my Bad Juju or Ice Breaker back, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to infuse something from the kiosk yet.

I used the boost on my hunter, and the gear was all 280 stuff. At least that made it so I wasted a hell of a lot less engrams going further though. After decoding all that I had banked I ended up at something like 320. Got a few legendaries and exotic arms for the wrong spec.

Is there anything worth buying from Vanguard this week? I think my Titan might be rank 3+ with FWC and maybe one other rep too, but that's probably about it. If there's any really good guns I could get to 150 marks without too much trouble.

You can turn motes of light or heavy ammo synths in at whatever faction quartermaster you picked to get packages which always drop higher than your current light level.

Best to get them all to R3 and then pick one? Reps were a really shitty grind that was too pointless to bother with in year 1, plus I barely played my hunter back then anyway.

Edit: Almost forgot, did they make some kind of change to XP over the years? I remember being able to max out guns and subclasses super fast just by completing bounties with them equipped, but now it seems like I'm barely getting anything for it. Especially when it comes to armor.

Last edited:

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks. Still not really sure what I'm doing but I bought the Monte Carlo before Xur left when I realized I had a lot more coins that I thought. Didn't get any Three of Coins though, oops. What I'd really like is my Bad Juju or Ice Breaker back, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to infuse something from the kiosk yet.

I mean technically it's a waste of resources to keep infusing a primary as you level up but it will make playing while leveling more enjoyable. As far as the icebreaker goes you can't buy a year 3 version from the kiosk. You have to get it to drop from one of Zavalas nightfall bounties.

I used the boost on my hunter, and the gear was all 280 stuff. At least that made it so I wasted a hell of a lot less engrams going further though. After decoding all that I had banked I ended up at something like 320. Got a few legendaries and exotic arms for the wrong spec.

Is there anything worth buying from Vanguard this week? I think my Titan might be rank 3+ with FWC and maybe one other rep too, but that's probably about it. If there's any really good guns I could get to 150 marks without too much trouble.

The Wail (FWC ) is a total godroll hand cannon. Like I said I only pvp so it has some shortcomings there but it's still decent on smaller maps. You could use it as an everyday primary in PvE. Nothing special from The Vanguard this week.

Best to get them all to R3 and then pick one? Reps were a really shitty grind that was too pointless to bother with in year 1, plus I barely played my hunter back then anyway.

Yeah each of my toons picked a different faction so I can buy any weapon each week.

Edit: Almost forgot, did they make some kind of change to XP over the years? I remember being able to max out guns and subclasses super fast just by completing bounties with them equipped, but now it seems like I'm barely getting anything for it. Especially when it comes to armor.

You can use motes of light to level up weapons and armor really fast. What you are going to experience is a real shortage of mats whilst you are doing this because you are doing so much so fast so be judicial about what you do.

You can also download Ishtar Commander on your phone to check the roll quality of gear after enabling some settings. I use Destiny Item Manager (DIM) it's a Web page based item manager that let's you see the roll quality of items on the vendors, the quality of your items, and also has a stat build manager that checks your gear and tries to make tier 12 builds with it. I like it cause my kid has my phone 90% of the time and I have another monitor beside my video game monitor so I run Destiny on one and my PC on the other.

Last edited:

Vorph

What a shit vendor week. Barely anything of interest for marks other than the hunter cloak(s), and nothing remotely interesting on Xur other than 3oCs. I remember being really pissed off in Y1 when I could never get Hawkmoon to drop while it was still a Sony exclusive and now I don't even want it after buying The Wail last week. I'm like 385-390 LL now so I guess it's time to go ahead and buy back my Bad Juju.

GonzytheMage GonzytheMage is there a fast, not-pvp way to quickly burn through 30-50 3oCs? I need to do a bunch of strikes this weekend anyway but also wondering if there's some story mission that has an ultra I can just do over and over (efficiently).

Edit: Nm, I found the 3oC FAQ on reddit.

Last edited: