Do you have health insurance?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
$200 a month seems pretty damn rough to me. I only pay $96 a month and have a $25 copay. My dental insurance kinda blows with only $1000 a year in coverage.
Most dental plans have a low annual limit because they don't expect you to have those types of problems.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Most dental plans have a low annual limit because they don't expect you to have those types of problems.
Not only that, but even if you do have those types of problems, you're not gonna have them again after you get them fixed. It's not like you're going to keep having cavities in the same tooth.

Gnomer_sl

shitlord
I have health insurance. It's only gotten worse over the years and now they are starting to run it like car insurance where you pay a deductible before they start covering you.

p3sti1anc3_sl

shitlord
having health insurance is a must but also the ones replacing the older doctors and nurses sometimes dont know what there doing learned it first hand when the younger generation pin cushioned my son on both arms looking for a vein poor little guy fell asleep with the needle in his arm when the where jabbing for a vein

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Your son went to a teaching hospital, so students are going to learn how to do a venipuncture. Sounds like your son has poor veins. Surprised they didn't just take the blood from the hands or feet.

edit: I'm assuming it's a teaching hospital because of the 'younger generation' comment. Hate to break it to you, but, experienced phlebotomists have problems sometimes.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So, sometime near the end of 2011 I got health insurance through ehealthinsurance.com (United Health Care was whom i signed up for).

Plan went something like this:

$127 per month
2500 Deductible after that my copay is 0% as i signed up for 100/0
$35 copay on office visits
$200 deductible on meds (optional - i chose to get this because I knew I would take asthma meds like cingulair again).

After getting insurance I finally visited doctors after 5-6 years and started getting shit diagnosed in early 2012. As suspected I was diagnosed with pretty bad sleep apnea. They gave me a machine, which sucked, hard to sleep with. I ended up getting surgery, probably going to spell some of this wrong; uvulapalatopharyngoplasty (uvula removal, tonsils removed, adenoids, and parts of the softpalate also cut off), septo-plasty, reduction of the nasal turbinates, and a hyoid suspension (I think they took some hyoid bone, cut it, and attached it to my thyroid to move my tongue a little).

End result of all that crap would have been over $45,000 in fucking medical bills, which doesn't count the emergency room visits I had. I had two because a few weeks after the surgery I had complications in the form uncontrollable bleeding in the back of my throat to the point losing consciousness. They claim to have cauterized it the first time. Worst fucking recovery ever that I was not fully aware of how bad it would be with a shitload of pain (slept no more then 3-4 hours so i could take my dose of oxycodone) for the first week, and a lot of pain in the second week. Massive bleedings in my third week left me with low blood hemoglobin and disabled for another two weeks (doctors said transfusions weren't a good idea as they could cause complications and I was young so I could reproduce my hemoglobin within a few weeks).

I only paid $2500 out of pocket in the end and was nursed like a babe the entire time at my parent's house. With a combination of surgery, probably me losing 20 lbs and keeping it off for over 8-9 months, flonase nasal spray, I now have no sleep fucking apnea. Which is awesome because the success rate of the uvulapalatopharyngoplasty is apparently only 50% and a mere reduction of 50% in sleep apnea events per hour (forgot the official term) is enough to count it as a success. Didn't learn that until after surgery and I spent my time in the apneasupportforums reading posts of people also in a miserable state after similar surgeries. God fucking damn't I'm glad that is done with, worst fucking experience ever. I've broken bones, had a nail lodged in my hand, and more but fuck 2 weeks of misery, then 2 more weeks of being disabled/weak.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Medicare is definitely screwing providers; even if the providers charge an exorbitant amount. It's a shame that patient-centered care wasn't a focus 10+ years ago. It would have cut costs down if we had focused on a primary and secondary education versus tertiary. Tertiary being the actual treatment whereas other two are more on the line of screening.

chilansl

Molten Core Raider
No health insurance. I pay cash (well, debit card) when I see my doctor or dentist.
Maybe next year I will look into some sort of high-deductible plan to cover something catastrophic.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejap...erge-medicine/

I personally think concierge medicine is the wave of the future. I also think that it is important to find a doctor now that is still accepting patients, since they limit the amount of patients they take. I will still keep my HSA because it provides a great tax shelter.
Couldnt you use your HSA to pay the concierge service? I have an HSA too, my issue is finding a doctor. how the hell can you find a good doctor that still accepts patients?

winrath_sl

shitlord
Every year our insurance plans provided by both me and my wife's employer have progressively gotten worse and worse. This past year, where at one point we were getting a discount of $50/mth for not using my employer's benefit, now we have to pay $100/mth to her's. On the upside, we gawked at the bill for my kids 3 week NICU stay. The 5k I ended up having to pay was world's better than the 78k the insurance paid.

Behemoth_sl

shitlord
My company offers a discount on premiums if you do a biometric screening and it proves that you don't use tobacco. Also if your BMI is <30 or your waist is < 40". I barely squeezed by on the 2nd one because my waist is 42" but BMI is only 28 (BMI is horse shit if you are tall). They also offer incentives for which you can earn up to $2,000 in free HSA money per year.

Did anyone else notice on their W2 this year that there is now a box that lists what your employer paid toward your health care? Its almost shocking adding that to premiums paid and then STILL having a $6,000 deductible. For just me and my wife the total premiums paid combined from what I pay and employer was ~$15,000 but I don't get to use any of it unless I pay $6k first?

Cybsled

My company offers a discount on premiums if you do a biometric screening and it proves that you don't use tobacco. Also if your BMI is <30 or your waist is < 40". I barely squeezed by on the 2nd one because my waist is 42" but BMI is only 28 (BMI is horse shit if you are tall). They also offer incentives for which you can earn up to $2,000 in free HSA money per year.

Did anyone else notice on their W2 this year that there is now a box that lists what your employer paid toward your health care? Its almost shocking adding that to premiums paid and then STILL having a $6,000 deductible. For just me and my wife the total premiums paid combined from what I pay and employer was ~$15,000 but I don't get to use any of it unless I pay $6k first?
The DD box? Yea, just noticed that. Says you don't pay taxes on the first 6k? So I'm assuming if the amount in that box is under 6k, you don't have to pay anything extra?

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
140$ For medical and dental with the best insurance carrier in my area. It's a relief knowing I'm taken care of if something happens. The copay thing I'm not crazy about, but w/e.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I just had kind of an interesting situation with my insurance. Since I am sort of my own employer, they just raised my $2500 deductible plan to $371 a month. They also offered me a $3000 deductible plan for $250 a month. To me that is a no-brainer, I save $1452 a year in premiums and pay $500 a year more ONLY if I spend over $2500 on health care in a year, which I never do. If I was just an employee though, I would consider switching from a $2500 deductible to a $3000 deductible a pay cut. Just an example of how insurance companies can use employees to fuck over employers to make themselves more money by getting employees to demand plans that make no sense financially.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I just had kind of an interesting situation with my insurance. Since I am sort of my own employer, they just raised my $2500 deductible plan to $371 a month. They also offered me a $3000 deductible plan for $250 a month. To me that is a no-brainer, I save $1452 a year in premiums and pay $500 a year more ONLY if I spend over $2500 on health care in a year, which I never do. If I was just an employee though, I would consider switching from a $2500 deductible to a $3000 deductible a pay cut. Just an example of how insurance companies can use employees to fuck over employers to make themselves more money by getting employees to demand plans that make no sense financially.
So now you're starting to get it.

I mean, lets be realistic here. My employer is contractually obligated to pay me for certain things, and they're not doing it. It's written down. It's been agreed upon by both the company and the union as terms of work. And they still decide "nope, not feeling it." And you think we'd get the extra money if we took a shittier health plan? Hah.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What I really think is that people should pay for their own health insurance. The fact that someone other than you is paying for a service that you use corrupts the market and the only winner is the insurance companies. If the plans I just got offered were offered to somebody with employees, they could switch the plan, pay the employee the $500 difference whether they need it or not, and still come out ahead.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So now you're starting to get it.

I mean, lets be realistic here. My employer is contractually obligated to pay me for certain things, and they're not doing it. It's written down. It's been agreed upon by both the company and the union as terms of work. And they still decide "nope, not feeling it." And you think we'd get the extra money if we took a shittier health plan? Hah.
That's just it, that's where you get bent over. Given the option I'd like to just pay for my own health insurance and get paid more at my work. That wont ever happen though.

Ever.

So given the option of same pay and no insurance or pay with my current insurance, why would I not choose the second option ya know?

On a related note, my wife refuses to see any other eye doctor then the one shes been going to all her life. If she went to one within my network her contacts would be free...but because she wont see anyone else I'm stuck footing a $232 bill for them.

So annoying.