Doctor Who

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Inque

FunEmployed
I watched the season premiere - it was OK. Nothing major. Lots of throwbacks to older Doctor's with the sonic's in a cup and ex-companions. That said, it was like the episode was more centralized on his new companion and not him. I'm liking the dynamic between this versus Clara; I think it's got potential. Rumor is that we'll get one season of this new 'Bill' and that Capaldi is departing before the season is over, so we'll get to experience the new Doctor ahead of schedule. I'm cautiously optimistic for the next couple of episodes but this chick may end up growing on us.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Agree.

Average episode in my opinion. (There have been too many of those kind last 2 years)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I was fine with it as an 'origin story' style episode for the newcomers to the series. Have to do one every so often, seeing things through a new companion's eyes for the sake of explaining stuff.
Bill is growing on me, she's similar to Martha's personality imo, minus the crush on the Doctor. She's smart enough to actually assist the Doctor in figuring things out at times, the way Martha was. She had some funny, common sense, responses to things; 'how's it called 'tardis' if you are from another planet, the acronym only works in english..'.
I'm really glad Nardole looks to be part of the whole season too. I've always liked there being 2 companions, more overall chemistry to work with.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
more lame shit.

tranny is ugly as fuck.
10273-amazon.gif

story was stupid and they practically rebooted the water baddies from the Mars special. been watching this show on and off for 40+ years. i took the good with the bad. i can survive 10 episodes of this shit and next season we get new doctor and hopefully Moffet fucks off.

• 1Solidarity

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Dang Chuk it wasn't THAT bad...

I liked the comment that The Doctor has been teaching a long time. 50-70 years since the Singing Towers. Bring on the Masters

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah it is interesting that whereas the first 50 years were dominated by a near-continuous stream of un-interrupted adventures it seems as if the last few years have been full of several decade / century stints of the Doctor hanging out in various places before getting roped into new adventures.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Seems to happen after he loses a companion, or companions, he chills out for awhile dealing with the loss. Did it after losing Rose, Donna, the Ponds and now Clara. Martha left voluntarily, so it was different, but when he 'loses' someone that he meant to keep safe, it puts him into a funk for awhile and refuses to take on new companions.
Nardole is a kind of 'neutral' companion that doesn't seem to count the same way. I'd imagine he's part bionic/cybernetic since the Doctor said he 'put him back together' in the Christmas special and he had obviously been beheaded in the previous one.

btw: The 'Doctor Mysterio' rerun was on the other day, and I had just watched the River Song episode right before.. when I first watched them, the real time year gap made me forget that the baddies in Mysterio were the same ones buying the diamond and worshipping Hydroflax in the River episode. The "Harmony Shoal" dudes that split their heads.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Loved the cameo of the Movellans or what I like to call the precursor to Rick James's style and yet better known in the Who world as the Disco James droids!

Just glad the whining of Clara is over, hoping writing is better this season!

movellan-group.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Loved the cameo of the Movellans or what I like to call the precursor to Rick James's style and yet better known in the Who world as the Disco James droids!

Just glad the whining of Clara is over, hoping writing is better this season!

View attachment 132653

The thing that terrifies me is that I remember when that episode aired (on PBS in America, so obviously we were lagged behind and it was about 5 years old I think)... but even when it was 5 years old... It actually didn't look THAT cheesy. And sure I was a little kid. But even so, it wasn't that bad.

But you look at it today and hot damn, what a mess.

Like Tinfoil cybermen are absolutely endearing. But the whole "lets put a mop on their head" is pretty lol and cringey.

Disco James Droids is accurate.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
hey, gimme some tin foil costumes over the same repeated waterfall person animation they did yesterday . that shit looked like an app you can get on your phone.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Chuk must have been traumatized by the old Alex Mack show on Nickelodeon.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Episode was... good... wow. Even weirder it was all down to the new companion, I was totally wrong. I loved it when she said "Doctor, Doctor what?" and he frowned.

Still had a shitty baddie made by thinking "what if X wasn't really X?" Doctor still had no impact on resolving the plot. Still warning signs we are in for a whole world of shite.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The largest issue with the last five years of New-Who is that the focus has been shifting more and more to the companions and away from the Doctor himself. Capaldi got screwed with his run, but this problem started with Rose and really picked up steam with the Ponds, really. What would have been different and courageous story telling would be to have an entire season of Missy as the companion and the Doctor trying to reform her. Or a Key to Time style story arc. This centering on a companion and having half or more of every episode center around the companion has been the road to ruin. That said, carpet munching buckwheat is not the worst companion ever to exist on the show (Peri, Mel, and early Aldric were all massively worse), but I'd bet money she is the real reason why Capaldi is noping out.

Those issues aside, the new episode feels somewhat like a soft reboot of season one New-Who, which is not good or bad. I think Capaldi's run will be remembered like McCoy's: A few brilliant masterpieces buried in an ocean of shit.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I hope he gets a second masterpiece before going out (punching through diamond wall for billions of years was brilliant), Mistress and Master is a good shot they where both great.

I don't understand how an actor famous for swearing at people and tearing them apart is given lighter content than any of the actors before him. We've been waiting for a dark Doctor since Tennant's Waters of Mars or even The Valeyard from the classic series. We've been waiting for The Master as a companion since Tennant asked him after he took over the earth. Having him get pissed off WAY MORE because Missy is his companion and can't help being evil would be amazing.

Moffat is clearly treating this as a huge joke now he is out of ideas and is critically panned. A few meta joke like "Doctor What?" or taking too long to say "It's bigger on the inside" are fine but they have 60's shitty costume Cybermen coming up for some ungodly reason and The Master has a goatee beard in the trailer. There's people like Mark Gastiss writing who is a fucking comedian. I'm really worried and sad it'll be further ruined.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The Master has a goatee beard in the trailer. There's people like Mark Gastiss writing who is a fucking comedian.
Where did you see a trailer that had the Master (not Missy) in it?
Also, while I'm worried about how this season will turn out, Mark Gatiss is not a contribution to that. He's been writing good episodes of Dr. Who for years, and is the main writer behind Sherlock (also plays Mycroft). His stuff is generally pretty smart and well-written.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Where did you see a trailer that had the Master (not Missy) in it?
Also, while I'm worried about how this season will turn out, Mark Gatiss is not a contribution to that. He's been writing good episodes of Dr. Who for years, and is the main writer behind Sherlock (also plays Mycroft). His stuff is generally pretty smart and well-written.
the trailer played right after the episode and had missy as well.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I like Mark Gatiss and don't know which episodes he wrote of either show, bit it's like exactly like having your favourite comedy/horror writer write scifi/crime stories.