Doctor Who

Chris

Potato del Grande
Haha! The guy was in a Hollywood movie (Neighbourhood Watch?) and I think is a writer too so may have too much going on. Main job is comedian but that didn't stop Catherine Tate being a companion. He has been in a series before (IT Crowd).

I just worry how well he could pull off serious/angry and not be zany nerd all the time.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I was rewatching the xmas special, and i missed the new season preview at the end the first time. i didnt realize nardole is going to be in at least some of the episodes. im very happy about that, and hope he is there for the whole season. The chemistry between him and the doctor was great. Plus, i always like when there is more than one companion, so hopefully that will help this next season.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'd actually be good with Rupert Grint as the next Doctor.
yeah, i was thinking about and at first i was like "no way, weasely??" then after a few seconds i was like "hmm, maybe, he might be able to pull it off.". i think its a possibility, they always made ginger jokes on the show about each new doctor "at least i'm not a ginger" or something similar. i rather him than some of those other picks, though the chick who warned about the silence at the end might also be an interesting pick, i liked her in broadchurch. i mean if they had to pick a woman because of feefees, i think a tough old bird would be the way to go.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
yeah, i was thinking about and at first i was like "no way, weasely??" then after a few seconds i was like "hmm, maybe, he might be able to pull it off.". i think its a possibility, they always made ginger jokes on the show about each new doctor "at least i'm not a ginger" or something similar. i rather him than some of those other picks, though the chick who warned about the silence at the end might also be an interesting pick, i liked her in broadchurch. i mean if they had to pick a woman because of feefees, i think a tough old bird would be the way to go.
Agreed, but Haley Atwell is really hot... just saying...

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Even though it makes no fucking sense, I want them to do an entire season (series? you fucking brits) or two of Dr. Missy.

fuck this shit. Jump the god damn shark. Just give me missy being diabolical for 6-12 episodes.

It's SUPPOSED to be fun! and, if we're being honest, it's never really made any god damn sense to begin with.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So... I mean where do I even begin with Dr Who. I'm not sure where to start. I've seen bits and pieces with different Doctors and I really like them all. I'm just a bit overwhelmed with how many Doctors and seasons.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Old stuff, basically just watch the Tom Baker era and if you like it, keep going from there.

New Who is a big matter of preference. I personally go with Baker >= Matt Smith > Capaldi > Tenant > who cares after that.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
So... I mean where do I even begin with Dr Who. I'm not sure where to start. I've seen bits and pieces with different Doctors and I really like them all. I'm just a bit overwhelmed with how many Doctors and seasons.

I hadn't watched any of the newer stuff so I was in the same boat as you.

After picking a few random episodes here and there I decided to watch the beginning of the Matt Smith run with season 5. If you have an Amazon Prime account they still have the full seasons up. I really loved Amy and Rory as the two companions for the Doctor.

I absolutely hate Capaldi and stopped watching the show after his first season. I'll pick it back up once they replace him and see if the new person does it any justice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd start at the start of the new run. It assumes you are already familiar, but is willing to help new viewers from being lost, too. Tom baker was glory days doctor who, and worth watching. You could start there, but you should be fine with eccleston.

You could start directly with Matt Smith too. His doctor was something of a self contained fairy tale. But then you'd miss tennant, and tennant was great.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I watched Tom Baker as a kid on PBS and other than Daleks I knew next to nothing about Doctor Who when they started the revival in 2005. Personally I'd start there. Eccleston was pretty good but you need his series to fully understand/appreciate the Rose character. Most people claim Tennant is the best new Doctor and he got some great stories. You could technically start with Smith but you'd be missing out on some good episodes.

Capaldi is my favorite and before you dismiss his run, know he got the writing shaft. His first season was supposed to be a Smith season, and his second was written around Clara as the main Character. We'll see where they take his finale.

I really hope they go with an older actor for The Doctor. I like the father figure/teacher role of Eccleston/Capaldi better than the boyfriend role Tennant and Smith. Not saying any of them were bad, they were all great in their personal style.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I never really watched the old Dr. who, and to this day it's a little hard for me to watch even the best Baker episodes because the production values are just too low for me. I started with Eccleston, and it was designed to be accessible to new fans from that point forward. However, the production values were still kind of lame at times, so if that puts you off you could start with Smith and then go back and rewatch Eccleston/Smith once you are hooked.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Start with Eccelston Episode 1 then go from there...once you are hooked (and you will be) you can check out some of the old Who (I started with Tom Baker on my old local PBS channel), I also suggest the 3rd doctor Played by Jon Pertwee (whos son now plays Alfred on the Gotham TV show). The TV movie (with the 8th doctor played by Paul Mcgann) was horrible and not worth your time, which is sad cause I think McGann could have been one of the best Doctors.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Can't start with Smith, then you'd miss River Song's introduction episodes and you'd miss the first and best Weeping Angel episode. Also Bad Wolf, Captain Jack and the Face of Boe get their introduction in S1. Professor Yana in S3 is pretty important as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I have so far liked all the new Doctors. The story and writing varies from season to season, but I think the new Who is worth the watch from S1 on. For old Who, I would personally stick to Baker and Pertwee.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
starting off with the original series is a really bad idea. thats coming from a kid who started watching Dr Who with his dad on sunday mornings in the 70s with Tom Baker at the helm. back then you could get away with that kind of production value because thats pretty much what was considered normal for daily soap opera type shows. now, that shit wont fly, i cant even watch those old tom baker episodes anymore because i get nostalgia overload and the production is just atrocious. i would agree to start with eccelston, but they really had shit budget then too. eccelston is my fav new doctor as he seemed the most mature of them. yes i am including silly dr capaldi. play it safe and start with matt smith, its a soft reboot of the series and he even give gives a quick review of the history of the show in the first episode. plus you get amy pond. that first season is amazing. i have rewatched it 4 times.