Doctor Who

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It's confirmed that it's Capaldi's last season? If so, well fuck. I was just getting used to him, and like malakriss pointed out, wanted to see him get some longer plots like Tennant and Smith both got. Honestly, I think he really hit his stride last season with the Gallifrey stuff, and we are just scratching the surface there. The angry and bitter war hero fits Capaldi so well.

I wouldn't mind a female doctor in principle, but I can't think of any female actor that would pull off a Doctor I'd want to see. The crazy/cooky aspect is not something we often ask actresses to do, so there is little for me to judge them on. If they got the right actress, fine. I just hope they don't make the decision to make the Doctor into a female first before finding the right actress and then end up with someone who doesn't pull it off.

Maybe a ginger or black dude would satisfy the SJWs while still being interesting. I'd also like to see multiple companions again, or at least some dudes here and there. Amy & Rory were great. Capt Jack was so good he spawned a spin off series. Donna's grandpa had some of the best scenes of all time. Even Mickey was fine. It's rarely worked out badly for them whenever they've done it. I thought they were gonna go that route with Danny Pink, but he never really traveled with them and that whole story went a different direction that I figured it would.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Where was this announced? He pretty much said the exact opposite in a BBC presser last week.
In the past he's said 3 series. He hasn't made up his mind yet though. Just assumption with the new show runner in series 11. Hope he stays, but I'm not holding my breath.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Capaldi really didn't get enough of the longer running plotlines, the wrap-up for River was the only bone they tossed him. Could almost say he was chosen as the companion for Clara's plotline instead.

That's actually a pretty accurate and depressing description of his role.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
its not true though. he got Missy which is the female Master.

I don't even consider that a story arc. It was 30 second snipets at the end of random episodes followed by a conversation over tea in which Clara ended up being the foil. Whole thing was sad.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I don't even consider that a story arc. It was 30 second snipets at the end of random episodes followed by a conversation over tea in which Clara ended up being the foil. Whole thing was sad.
ok then how about the gallifrey arc that smith kicked off in the 50th anniversary episode?

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
ok then how about the gallifrey arc that smith kicked off in the 50th anniversary episode?
That they morphed into a story about how to bring Clara back from the dead.

Joking aside, Capaldi is hitting his stride now. His first series was written for Smith, but the second half of last series was good stuff. Fingers crossed for this series.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
chuk, the difference is these 'grand arc' stories were introduced in an episode, then ignored for awhile, then resolved in another, for the most part. Whereas something like the 'Crack' or the 'Silence' arc from Smith's run, or 'Harold Saxon' from Tennant, or 'Bad Wolf' from Eccleston run all the way through Tennant and even into the 50th anniversary sort of, we were given lots of little hints and callbacks throughout many episodes over multiple seasons. With some, you didn't even realize they were connected till it resolved, which made them more interesting.

It seems like they didn't put as much work into connecting Capaldi's arcs into more episodes, so it didn't feel as connected. It feels more like he's cleaning up and finishing things that got started with Smith.

Speaking of Missy, though, if they were to get another actress like that, I would love a female doctor. She was absolutely hilarious in the two parter that kicked off last season, with Davros and Skaro. I hope we see more of her, in fact. Or, maybe we can get another time lady, such as the Rani, to work with the Doctor for awhile. I think they were setting up the possibility of Missy working WITH the Doctor a bit more, with that whole 'me screwing with him is just ancient friends busting each other's balls' talk she was telling Clara.

• 2Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
the new transpanion looks like shit, fucking SJWs ruining everything. whats wrong with pretty white girls? or fuck, pretty black girls for that matter? the pretty girls worked for 50 years.

Who are you talking about? Someone in the Christmas episode, or the girl we saw in the previews? That's really a tranny?

Maybe a ginger or black dude would satisfy the SJWs while still being interesting.

I will say the same thing I said the last time they were looking for a doctor. Richard Ayoade. He's black and every role I've seen him in made him look like a great Doctoral candidate. He's already my favorite doctor and he'll probably never get the role.

7c08b6f6617c101e3887facdac5aae86b08eaf20.jpg

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
That's really a tranny?
no, not that ive heard, they are just saying shes ugly.
I will say the same thing I said the last time they were looking for a doctor. Richard Ayoade. He's black and every role I've seen him in made him look like a great Doctoral candidate. He's already my favorite doctor and he'll probably never get the
I like it! Yea, he is someone that could be great. He seems like he would be somewhere between Smith and Tennant in personality, which would be fine of course.

Malkav

French Madman
Found the Christmas special better than most of last season.

The trailer for next season cooled me down quite a bit though.

What the hell is that thing they put as the new companion?!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
BTW, the bald dude needs to be the new companion. He's perfect. It was killing me trying to remember who he was and where we'd seen him before he mentioned hydrax. I'm still not sure where the Dr is supposed to have met him (because I was asking the same questions in the hydrax espisode), but at least now I know why he's familiar.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, I was just reading an older BBC article about sherlock, but they mentioned Doctor Who because of Moffat and Gatiss. Turns out, the ratings for Dr. Who declined over the last few seasons and they were blaming it on the complaints about their "convoluted metafictional narratives". That sounds like most of us are in the minority of wanting season long story arcs. Or, they are wrongfully blaming that part of the show instead of the poor execution and episode writing. In any case, I'm afraid the new show runner is gonna tone down that aspect and focus on 'monster of the week' style scripts :(

Chris

Potato del Grande
Nobody was complaining about story arcs when they were well executed like Bad Wolf, Saxon, stars going out and four knocks.

They complained when they had a nonsensical resolution like cracks in the universe. Doctor's death had a retarded resolution and Doctor's name wasn't resolved really.

Their analysis is way off, poor writing and execution in every aspect of every episode is the problem.

I turned off the Christmas special half way in, it was truly awful. The only good Capaldi episode was the one with the castle that kept resetting, it was on par with tenant's master reveal but unlike that they did NOTHING with it. The fuck is the hybrid?

Missy is great make her the companion, not a diversity hire. Also Richard Ayoade is a great spot for a potential doctor but he is a comedian and the show is lacking epicness and too full of "comedy".

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Nobody was complaining about story arcs when they were well executed like Bad Wolf, Saxon, stars going out and four knocks.

They complained when they had a nonsensical resolution like cracks in the universe. Doctor's death had a retarded resolution and Doctor's name wasn't resolved really.

Their analysis is way off, poor writing and execution in every aspect of every episode is the problem.

I turned off the Christmas special half way in, it was truly awful. The only good Capaldi episode was the one with the castle that kept resetting, it was on par with tenant's master reveal but unlike that they did NOTHING with it. The fuck is the hybrid?

Missy is great make her the companion, not a diversity hire. Also Richard Ayoade is a great spot for a potential doctor but he is a comedian and the show is lacking epicness and too full of "comedy".
i completely agree. i doubt if i watch more than the first episode of the new season. capald's stories have been fucking terrible.

Sevens

Log Wizard
The decline in the ratings is because with Eccleston, Tennant and Smith they could make you laugh or hit you hard with the feels
As much as I like Capaldi he has just never had that deep hard make you cry watching episodes

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
If the billion year time castle and River Song episode didn't give you feels you're watching the wrong show. Majority of Tennant and Smith feels were from good companions sans their doctor 'deaths.'