DOTA 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
MidOne hit 9k today, but it does seem like there is some missing element in that team. Part of it might be the support duo, most succesful teams have a strong roamer while I think PieLieDie can play that role he's also generally the hard-5 and Puppey doesn't play that sort of hero. To be honest I think in many respects he's been the weak player on Secret particularly when junglers haven't been common, even his drafts have seemed formulaic (while he could feel pushed into by his team, its also been happening long enough with enough players that I suspect its on some level his choice).

Puppey has hard time playing all of the finesse supports that have popped up and then you compare him to people like zai or jerax, who can play literally anything as support/semicore and he just looks like worse ppd. Their gameplan is essentially PLD winning you a lane or two while puppey gets big in the jungle, even if they fall behind early they still teamfight pretty well, but top teams simply don't have that weakness to exploit.

I don't know who is drafting, but the predictability was hugely exploited. Sadly, if Puppey isn't the shotcaller/drafter, you need to ask why is he on a team that wants to win tournaments ?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just watched a MidOne LD game and holy shit I've never seen a game so dominated before. Not even smurf accounts. Just absolutely insane.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Mokney King was picked in Elimination mode for AF vs OG. Went as expected, the hero is insane in pro hands.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Lol i wanted to play WR's meme build, it's actually pretty fun if you can make it late game

Octarine + -6 seconds on Powershot cooldown = 2 second powershot spam, plus aghs/mkb/mjollnir makes you still viable that doesn't rely on the meme.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Zai's stream wins an award for "WTF am I listening to"

Gardening podcast followed by a documentary about walruses is unexpected, yet surprisingly solid.

Needless

Toe Sucker
this shit is weird lol german guy talking about plants

edit: lmao now hes listening to a 'butcher' documentary while playing pudge

Last edited:

Brand

Molten Core Raider
So, I went 9-1 on placements and came out mid-1400s. I swear to God I'm glad they shit me down here...I haven't had this much fun roflstomping scrubs in a long time. I have lost a few though....because low MMR is SO FUCKING TERRIBLE.

One I lost...The other team first picks Slardar...Second picks BH. My team picks - Clinkz, Mirana, and Riki. I was floored. Another one, some guy apologized because he was MMR pumping an account. He first picked Pudge and then proceeded to wipe the fucking floor with everyone. By the time it hit 15 minutes, I think he had +25 str. My team was helpless and I hadn't realized that in low MMR...Support doesn't pay.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
This game sometimes. Was trying to do a random quick normal match for fun before raid. Normal All Pick. I'm a level 77 account. Don't know my MMR in normal. But... there is no way it should put me with two lvl 1, first game ever people and one level 7. Wasted 30 mins of my life. 30 min in the PA who rushed vanguard with no boots, and the axe with 14 tangos and 3 branches finally quit.

I really wonder how their normal mode match making works.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, I went 9-1 on placements and came out mid-1400s. I swear to God I'm glad they shit me down here...I haven't had this much fun roflstomping scrubs in a long time. I have lost a few though....because low MMR is SO FUCKING TERRIBLE.

One I lost...The other team first picks Slardar...Second picks BH. My team picks - Clinkz, Mirana, and Riki. I was floored. Another one, some guy apologized because he was MMR pumping an account. He first picked Pudge and then proceeded to wipe the fucking floor with everyone. By the time it hit 15 minutes, I think he had +25 str. My team was helpless and I hadn't realized that in low MMR...Support doesn't pay.
Yeah, I think I calibrated around 1300 or 1400. Some games you can absolutely stomp, but then you end up with teams where they just feed and feed and feed, and you have absolutely no shot at winning.

I stopped playing support because in the games where it's pretty even, the 5 carry team ends up winning and I can out farm idiots at this MMR. But with a support, all that farm doesn't do much good.

Needless

Toe Sucker
This game sometimes. Was trying to do a random quick normal match for fun before raid. Normal All Pick. I'm a level 77 account. Don't know my MMR in normal. But... there is no way it should put me with two lvl 1, first game ever people and one level 7. Wasted 30 mins of my life. 30 min in the PA who rushed vanguard with no boots, and the axe with 14 tangos and 3 branches finally quit.

I really wonder how their normal mode match making works.

0382_s7tr.gif

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, those posts are all exactly in line with my complaints and experiences.
Like I said when talking about calibrating originally, in which I went 8-2 with decent K/D and stats, I got placed at like 1600. I play support in 80%, it's just the type of player I am. It is a horrible fucking nightmare. The system has to be broken or something, it's so fucking weird. Matchmaking is garbage. I constantly have "first game" players and 5 man carry teams.
I can consistently go 19-2 and shit with carries or even a 4 position like Skywrath and Silencer but fuck it's just like...still easy to lose those games with the absolute retards in this bracket.
So then it's like OK so if I carry stomp my way through ranked in a low bracket..it would still take me what? Like 20 wins STRAIGHT just to get to fucking 2k MMR?
Like come on man, what the fuck.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I watched a video the other day about it, and apparently they used some chess ranking algorithm. Which is great if Dota 2 was a single player game, but for something with 5 people it doesn't work, because you can lose for things outside of your control. It works with chess because the sub-25 point swings in your rating are entirely on you. With 5 people, climbing MMR takes much longer than it should.

Video below for anyone that wants to watch. It's incredibly frustrating, I was climbing pretty well the last 2 months, but then I had a string of terrible teammates and fell over 100 MMR in 2 days wiping out a lot of what I'd gained. I had a Sniper game where I had the highest GPM/XPM/KDA/Hero damage even on the losing team. And yet, I still lose MMR (in fact, I think I lost like 27 because we had higher MMR). MMR is fucking stupid, and their matchmaking system sucks.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People are always going to have a higher opinion of themselves than they are able to achieve in reality. That goes for Dota, that goes for life in general. They are always going to blame their teammates or a rigged MMR system for not being where they think they should be.

There are so many mechanics in Dota that you can be "good or bad" at, that you pretty much have to roll everything up into a win or a loss to judge someone's skill. Otherwise you would have people gaming the system and not playing Dota. People would be buying 100's of sentry wards trying to get +MMR points and ruining the game for their team. Or spamming Alchemist trying to get 1000 GPM in the jungle, not caring about team fights or pushing. Or spamming Zeus to do massive damage numbers to the other team, while feeding away deaths. All of these metrics that people say should contribute to MMR can be maximized to the point that you are basically playing a single player game at the expense of the other 4 people on your team. Do you really want that? People trying to scam the MMR game within the game? Just fucking win.

If you are a good player, you win more than you lose. If you win more than you lose, your MMR goes up. Your MMR goes up to the point that it levels out, because you are equal to your competition. Honestly, unless you are 7k+ and have aspirations of getting picked up into the pro-scene, why the fuck to you even care?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't understand how you even place that low. Like, I am pretty dogshit at Dota2 and my placements were 6-4? Maybe 7-3? I don't remember. I calibrated to 3k off that, so if the system thinks you're literally half as good as me, with how bad I am, then uhhhh, don't know what to tell you.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'd also add that swings up to 200 MMR can have nothing to do with your skill, shit is simply volatile. I like that the game simply has a single objective that matters, all of that feelgood shit detracts from your wins, even if it softens the losses. There are no bullshit ranks, no promotions to gamify the system, if you don't like that, just play unranked. It is definitely more relaxed, since 7.00 makes raxes matter less until you get mega'd.

Calibration is mostly for show, the game has better idea where you are on the MMR/Autism spectrum from the 100+ games you played beforehand. Sure you can bump it up a bit since you now officially tryhard, but it's a few hundred at most I think.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't understand how you even place that low. Like, I am pretty dogshit at Dota2 and my placements were 6-4? Maybe 7-3? I don't remember. I calibrated to 3k off that, so if the system thinks you're literally half as good as me, with how bad I am, then uhhhh, don't know what to tell you.
I don't think that's how the system works. I believe it's a bell curve, or at least one in theory, but it'd be kind of a fucked up looking one right now.

And fight, yes, you're absolutely correct that if you're better than your MMR you'll go up. But if you're not putting in the kinds of hours we probably did when we were in school and playing EQ, you may never see that adjustment. I might be able to play 3 or 4 ranked games a week. Gaining 100 MMR can take months. 100 games to get to the mean is ridiculous when games last 30-60 minutes and you can't play 8 games a day.

To be honest, I don't mind being in the shit tier. If I have a competent team, we're probably going to win. And it's enjoyable. But if two of them are mouth breathers? Well, I'm probably tilted as fuck by 25 minutes in, because there's literally nothing I can do to win. I may be a 2200 player in the 1700 range, so I win more than I lose. But I'm not a 6k player in the 1700 range that can carry even the worst players.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are 2 things that will contribute more to your team winning than anything else... They are not elite level CS, rotations, stacking skills, micro, etc.

Communication and positivity.

We all know the majority of Dota is made up of autistic shut-ins that say nothing, Peruvians, and cancerous shit-heads that only flame if they even communicate at all. So you have 5 people all playing their own separate games, solely focused on how they are doing and their 0/0/0 score.

Talk to your team. Ask politely for things and thank them. Call out missing heroes by name and suggest where you think they are going. Say "nice job" when you team pulls off successful ganks or takes a tower. If you die, take the 50 seconds or so to recap the game to that point and suggest a plan moving forward. Don't just say, "DAZZLE BUY A FUCKING PIPE YOU MORON!!!" Say, "Hey man, their magic damage is tearing us up in team fights. I'm thinking if we had a Pipe we might get the upper hand on them. You cool with that being your next item?"

Even autistic morons, peruvians and dick heads will coalescence around someone that sounds competent and stays positive. It really is the magic dust you can sprinkle on your MMR to make it grow.