Dr. Cliff Huxtable was a mega rapist

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think this is the case.
Obviously the intent was that the judge is not constrained by the plea deal; he can accept it, or he can sentence up the maximum allowed by the charges to which guilty is being plead.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I guess a couple of things:

1> When you plea bargain, the judge can accept the bargain that you make with the prosecutor, or he can fly off and give you the death penalty for jaywalking. They are in no way bound by any deal you make with the prosecutor. His attorneys would have explained this to him many times prior to pleading guilty. I have given this speech to clients many times.

2> Polanski admitted to doing it. There is no doubt that he is 100% guilty. He says he'd do it again, that liking young girls is a weakness and he shouldn't be punished. Cosby denies doing it, and there's no evidence he did it aside from the accusations themselves.

Cosby is skewered in the press, Polanski is given a pass.
I realize it may be technically legal for the judge to do this, but the vast majority of people still see it as misconduct. Nobody would ever make plea bargains if that type of thing was common. They're questionable enough as it is right now from a fairness perspective. It would be just like if it was commonplace for the police and prosecutor to tell people, "We'll reduce the charges against you if you confess and tell us where the money is" and then after you do so they just say, "Well, we have all the evidence we need now, we don't need your confession since we have the money as evidence, screw the plea bargain you're getting 20 years."

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I realize it may be technically legal for the judge to do this, but the vast majority of people still see it as misconduct. Nobody would ever make plea bargains if that type of thing was common. They're questionable enough as it is right now from a fairness perspective. It would be just like if it was commonplace for the police and prosecutor to tell people, "We'll reduce the charges against you if you confess and tell us where the money is" and then after you do so they just say, "Well, we have all the evidence we need now, we don't need your confession since we have the money as evidence, screw the plea bargain you're getting 20 years."
Thats different because the prosecutor actually has control over what is charged, so the deal with the prosecutor is binding. The judge is not bound by a deal made with the prosecutor, and this is explained to defendants prior to pleading. It isn't common that judges undo the deal a prosecutor makes, but it does happen, so anybody thinking that is misconduct needs to get that thought out of their head.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Not that it matters one way or another but this shit is still dumb as fuck. Everyone is screaming Bill Cosby the rapist while it sounds like he was just a dirty old man not a rapist.

I don't care how you assclowns want to cut it but taking some young impressionable piece of ass home, then drinking and doing drugs with her before banging isn't rape. It's not rape, it isn't fucking rape. It's a series of poor choices but not once did anyone say Bill Cosby held me down while I said no and shoved it in me. They all just complained he was a little gropey and a pervert yet they were happy to head back to his apartment if it meant they had a shot at furthering their careers in the business.

So sure call Bill Cosby a shitty person, say he took advantage of women and his position sure but to take him being a shitty person and exaggerate it to rape and freely toss around the idea on a whim is why this country is so fucked up. Meanwhile you have actual rapist like Kobe Bryant or shitty women beaters like Chris Brown that we seem to have given free passes to but instead everyone wants to gang up on a 700 year old hasbeen. I don't get it.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The accusations against Cosby revolve around him using a drug to knock people unconscious and then rape them while they are out.

That is a far cry from him being "just a dirty old man". The accusations are nothing like "drinking and doing drugs with her before banging".

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The accusations against Cosby revolve around him using a drug to knock people unconscious and then rape them while they are out.

That is a far cry from him being "just a dirty old man". The accusations are nothing like "drinking and doing drugs with her before banging".
Yet there was no proof of them being drugged and knocked unconscious other than hear say from some unreliable sources 30 years after the fact. There was plenty of evidence that they were to happy to head back to his place and imbibe on whatever was offered though. Regret does not equal rape either.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Yet there was no proof of them being drugged and knocked unconscious other than hear say from some unreliable sources 30 years after the fact.
You seemed confused on why this was a big thing. The reason it is a big thing is that some people happen to believe those accusations.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Has anyone ever come up with a theory on what the drug actually might have been? Did a date rape drug that worked well enough to use on a regular basis actually exist back then?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Has anyone ever come up with a theory on what the drug actually might have been? Did a date rape drug that worked well enough to use on a regular basis actually exist back then?
Any reasonably powerful narcotic pain pill combined with alcohol will knock most people right the fuck out.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Hard to believe anyone that screams rape nowdays 30 years later, especially now that rape has grown to include saying hello to a woman on the street.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Ludes, man. Some one needs to do some Wolf of Wallstreet research.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't get how anyone can give polanski a pass, I don't care how much of a soulless opportunist you are. The dude forcefully drugged and ass raped underaged girls. Murdering them afterwards is pretty much the only way that coulda been worse.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I don't get how anyone can give polanski a pass, I don't care how much of a soulless opportunist you are. The dude forcefully drugged and ass raped underaged girls. Murdering them afterwards is pretty much the only way that coulda been worse.
because polanski makes great films when he isnt assraping children. artists get a lot of leeway in society. i like some of polanski's work, i also think he should be spending the rest of his life in jail. still he has some great films, so i can maybe understand why some people who were "moved" by them would find it hard to believe what a monster he is. Kubrick wasnt a child rapist, but many actors who worked for him do not have too many nice things to say about him. same with hitchcock and demille.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I always thought Polanski got a pass because when he was convicted it was the tail end of the free love era, and all the boomers have a "What happened in Vegas stays in Vegas" mindset about the era.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I always thought Polanski got a pass because when he was convicted it was the tail end of the free love era, and all the boomers have a "What happened in Vegas stays in Vegas" mindset about the era.
Free love with 13 year olds?