Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is Witcher 3 going to have combat that doesn't suck ass? I could never even figure out how to play the first two.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it really turned the franchise around for me. DA2 was crap in a lot of ways and this is a really good really fun game.

The combat rebalance mod the developers put out is what finally got me to enjoy Witcher 2. I loved it and my body is ready for Witcher 3.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Multiplayer is pretty disappointing, but since I'm 40 hours in to the single player and still a ways away from finishing it up, I'm pretty satisfied with it overall.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game could have been a lot better in just about every axis, but there's just so much game there that it's hard to bitch about all the places it could be improved.

Story flow is a little weak, especially with the main story missions feeling very very short.

Combat is a little weak but excusable given that it was their first attempt to make a game with this new engine that totally wasn't built for open world RPG combat.

Graphics are top fucking notch for this type of game minus the shader glitches on some systems, but some of the art is a bit bland. Inquisitor Pajamas are seriously wtf.

The level scaling for enemies is just kinda inexcusable. You should never be fighting mobs less than 3 levels lower than you on nightmare.

Some later outdoor zones just feel a bit too empty, not enough encounters given how easy combat gets towards the end.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Story flow is a little weak, especially with the main story missions feeling very very short.
Probably my number 1 gripe so far. Compare taking the keep in Empress Du Lion to any of the story missions and you see just how far short they fall. That being said, the game really rewards you for exploring off the beaten path and that's why this game is so successful, for my tastes at least.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Probably my number 1 gripe so far. Compare taking the keep in Empress Du Lion to any of the story missions and you see just how far short they fall. That being said, the game really rewards you for exploring off the beaten path and that's why this game is so successful, for my tastes at least.
I actually would have liked more cutscenes to go with the keep captures and other major zone quests.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
I don't think guard on hit is particularily broken, at least on a warrior and especially a tank. It's very easy to get full guard in seconds just using shouts or blocking a couple of attacks and you take so little damage on front attacks that your guard rarely drops.
I should have been more specific. I hardly noticed the effect on my mage party playthrough, but I'm doing Nightmare solo on a warrior right now and guard on hit makes anything that used to be rough (ex. indoor rift with lots of terror + despair demons) and makes it a faceroll. I specced out of the taunt tree entirely because any guard I gain from that is instantly gone if just 1 mob decides to path around behind me during the animation. The warrior roll is pretty awesome though, especially with the upgrade.

Crestwood dragon is definitely the easiest to solo, probably followed by the Emerald Graves one for a lot of the same reasons ( same fight + a guard ability). Going to do the rest of the dragons with a 2hander, starting with the Hinterlands one tonight before I accidentally outlevel it.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The dragon in the pit is the hardest one to kill, mostly because it spawns so many adds that it actually slows down frame rates on the PS4 if you don't actively loot some of the bodies during the fight. I do like all of the dragon battles, but I think they were ultimately too easy, even on nightmare.

Strategy for winning any dragon fight in DA3:
Spec all three warrior NPCs for sword and board and guard generation.
Craft them all guard on hit gear.
Run one AE/crowd control distance guy, preferably with a good barrier spec.
Dodge breath while refreshing barriers and containing adds.
Micromanage potion use on three tanks.
Wait for dragon to fall over and collect loot.

Seriously, just bringing mass warriors to a dragon fight trivializes them, since the warrior AI at least has the brains to get close and avoid AEs and by the time you can engage dragons they stack so much guard that they are basically immortal in the fight.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Dude, you don't need any of that. I'll see if I have a save before the last dragon with my normal party of Melee Rogue, Cassandra, Varric and Dorian. Those 3 characters aren't even good, they're just funny together. I wrecked that dragon effortlessly on Nightmare.

The Hinterlands one could have easily been the hardest dragon if they made it higher level. It had actual phases and terrain you had to deal with.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Any one guard warrior is silly invulnerable. I despise the AI for companions as a rule though. Fuckers shouting to me that we need to retreat, and I'm like, "No, YOU need to retreat and stay the fuck out of melee range."

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think for the level you're expected to fight it the Hinterlands dragon is the hardest. Obviously it's a lot easier if you go back in and wreck it when you outlevel it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I wish the other dragons were as hard at their appropriate level. I was expecting the last dragon to be somewhat challenging at 23.

iannis

Musty Nester
Is Witcher 3 going to have combat that doesn't suck ass? I could never even figure out how to play the first two.
Oh, it was just different.

It's a fair question though. They keep pushing W3 back and back. I respect that they want to release something that won't burn out the goodwill they've built up but at the same time Wildstar beta reminded me that sometimes you should quit while you're ahead.

We'll see.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Of course you don't need any of that, but literally you can just button mash and win with that strategy, even at nightmare. It is more a function of how OP guard is and how bad the AI is on a non tanking character than anything else. You can do more elaborate setups, but you certainly have to micromanage a lot more than "3 tanks, micro a crowd control guy, collect loot".

Edit- having said that, this is still the most fun I have had with an RPG since Fallout New Vegas, outside of WL2.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
The game on nightmare difficulty is as hard or easy as you want to make it. Just from reading this thread it is easy to tell those that are abusing the save scumming, and crafting material and gold duping. If you want it to be more difficult, stop cheating.

No its not difficult to get to level 4ish and go to Val Royeaux and gold dupe your way up so you can buy all the teir 2 crafting schematics. Nor is it difficult to dupe all your crafting items so within a few hours of game play you can completely trivialize most content.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I didn't do any of that stuff. At endgame I farmed schematics from chests just so I could get the not-ugly model leather armor for my Chixquistor.