Dragon Age: Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, that trailer was terrible. Definitely trying to appeal to the kids instead of fans of the original.

Hopefully it flops and they learn some hard lessons and apply that to the next Mass Effect, but I'm not optimistic. At this point I think the best outcome is for BioWare to be tossed in the graveyard of companies that EA has killed.
If this isn't a massive success I'm one hundred percent certain EA closes them.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Burns

good point I forgot EA raped them before MS raped their rotted corpse. After they rambled around in my head I'm surprised I remember my own damn name.
Microsoft sucks sure, but how are they involved with EA or Bioware (outside of Xbawx)?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Reading this thread and the despair friends has after seeing it, I guess I was expecting something apocalyptic. While I didn't enjoy the cartoon style and the trailer did nothing to show us story it was not as bad as I expected.

Really it feels like the current crew at Bioware is either going after zoomers and doesn't understand what Dark Fantasy is.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Jesus, that trailer was terrible. Definitely trying to appeal to the kids instead of fans of the original.

Hopefully it flops and they learn some hard lessons and apply that to the next Mass Effect, but I'm not optimistic. At this point I think the best outcome is for BioWare to be tossed in the graveyard of companies that EA has killed.
I also think the trailer flied in the face of the OG fans. I am kind of hoping it's /just/ the cinematic and marketing and that they aren't actually this dumb.
Mobile isn't a terrible platform if the game doesn't suck. But... if the rest of the team is as out of touch as that trailer? Hard skip.

The veil was this giant threat in the original game. Now it's just something you casually walk through? The fuck?

I'll reiterate what I said earlier: Do not preorder games, even based on the trailer. Or... I guess there's no preorders since it's a bloody mobile game. Just don't wishlist it unless the gameplay looks good.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I also think the trailer flied in the face of the OG fans. I am kind of hoping it's /just/ the cinematic and marketing and that they aren't actually this dumb.
Mobile isn't a terrible platform if the game doesn't suck. But... if the rest of the team is as out of touch as that trailer? Hard skip.

The veil was this giant threat in the original game. Now it's just something you casually walk through? The fuck?

I'll reiterate what I said earlier: Do not preorder games, even based on the trailer. Or... I guess there's no preorders since it's a bloody mobile game. Just don't wishlist it unless the gameplay looks good.

It's not a mobile game, it just looks like one.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Microsoft sucks sure, but how are they involved with EA or Bioware (outside of Xbawx)
Hmm I did mention my head being opened up. Now I'm all confused. Did MS not buy Bioware/EA?
Maybe it's time to start drinking.
I think I'll go lay down.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Me too, titsmcgee, me too.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Speaking of trailers. I know DA:I sucked ballzz but it's still a guilty pleasure of mine to play on xbx, click-click-click.

• 1Pathetic

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior VP | Pantheon Pals VP Recruiting
<Gold Donor>

I’ve never played this game before but from a purely business perspective wouldn’t it make sense for them to capture a new market of up and coming gamers into their game series? Wonder how many adults vs kids play mobile games.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lol it's amazing how many people have the exact same reactions to everything but think they can't possibly be the ones engaged in groupthink.

The trailer seems obviously inspired by the Dungeons and Dragons movie's marketing material, and by that I mean directly ripped off. Taken in that light, it's a fine trailer. If that's the vibe they want to go for, I can't blame them since that movie was popular among its target audience and continues to gain praise as a good movie even if it didn't quite hit the financials the creators wanted.

This is targeting the people who like Critical Role, etc. Those are the core TTRPG "fans" right now, not nearly 50-year-old dudes.

EA's marketing for this series has never matched up with the game you actually get anyway, so it doesn't matter.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I have 4 teenage nephews. 16-19 ages.

they all play Fortnite on both mobile and console/pc. They are I to Madden Ultimate team. Other than that I don’t think zoomers play tons of games. Lots of stupid mobile royale shit but outside of battle royale modes I haven’t seen much being played by them.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
This just should have never gotten made. They put out 3 games in 5 years of lessening quality and story, with the last one adding a lot of mechanics that were ok but not fleshed out. Then a decade off. And now people are supposed to want to jump back into this giant sweeeping building story that last you were an Inquisitor leading a giant army and now you are just a random new person on what loooks like a glorified heist? It’s probably gone through some many rewrites that the point of the story is lost and buried.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This just should have never gotten made. They put out 3 games in 5 years of lessening quality and story, with the last one adding a lot of mechanics that were ok but not fleshed out. Then a decade off. And now people are supposed to want to jump back into this giant sweeeping building story that last you were an Inquisitor leading a giant army and now you are just a random new person on what loooks like a glorified heist? It’s probably gone through some many rewrites that the point of the story is lost and buried.
Yeah, they should have let the franchise die after going this long between games. Just come up with something new.

But nobody does that anymore.

• 3Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
They fucked up from the start with the lore. They straight up pulled a Star Wars and started at what is essentially episode 6.

The game is and should have always remained about the Grey Wardens, darkspawn, the blight etc. An epic sword and sorcery D&D inspired fantasy with armies and dragons and battles throughout the underdark etc. Hordes of their version of zombies, etc.

In the lore they numbered the number of dragons/old gods that exist, which was 9. And DA:O starts off with the 6th blight. That meant they could of made a total of 3 consecutive games before the final 9th blight ie end times sort of final game, plus they could of made prequels etc. Seriously they had the room to make 9 games over 30+ fucking years.

Dragon Age could of been basically Bioware's version of Elder Scrolls where each game is completely self contained game, occurring centuries apart with a shared world and history that builds upon itself with each successive game. Bethesda's Elder Scrolls is even longer lived than Dragon Age and they are only up to game 5 with Game 6 in development. We could of been playing Dragon Age all the way til we were rocking out in our retirement homes.

But instead they decided to pivot to some gay ass mage vs church shit in DA:2 so they could tell a different story in the same time period for some random B character nobody gave a shit about, and then continued that same line of thought in DA:I, and whatever the fuck this new game is supposed to be.

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Caliane

lol it's amazing how many people have the exact same reactions to everything but think they can't possibly be the ones engaged in groupthink.

The trailer seems obviously inspired by the Dungeons and Dragons movie's marketing material, and by that I mean directly ripped off. Taken in that light, it's a fine trailer. If that's the vibe they want to go for, I can't blame them since that movie was popular among its target audience and continues to gain praise as a good movie even if it didn't quite hit the financials the creators wanted.

This is targeting the people who like Critical Role, etc. Those are the core TTRPG "fans" right now, not nearly 50-year-old dudes.

EA's marketing for this series has never matched up with the game you actually get anyway, so it doesn't matter.
I mean, seems like people are largely all coming to same conclusion independently. thats not quite group think.

agree with most of the rest. even stated that dnd movie comment myself...
I do agree with targeted audience, crit role, zoomers... what I'm not so sure on is how well that will work. Either way. like, lots of people saying this will kill Bioware..

other games targeted zoomers did not do great. forspoken, saints row, etc. why? alternatively, bg3 kindof did as well. dnd movie did ok in the box office.
bg3 was coming off the massive success of d: os 2. and had a long demo beta to sell the game and its quality.

so. if bg3 was sold purely on its marketing, it probably would have failed. showing of its quality gameplay, brought the older more experienced gamers in.

If DA has any confidence in their game, an extended EA, or demo would probably be a good idea.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

I couldnt care less about the art if the game is good. Shit most of us on this forum still play a 25 year old mmorpg with the oldest graphics enabled:

I just hate the fact that these games are presented as a continuing story while they have a new lead character and new companions each game. I just have built no real connection to the world or story.

this is where this shit gets super complicated. A "challenge" is calling it lightly.

Inquisition started up by loading yours previous saves, or letting you edit your choices.
your Hawk shows up. your warden is missing iirc.
I don't know if the grey wardens missing is resolved.

what I did play of inquisition. (I never finished it, or played the dlc) It does feel like all THOSE character would have a direct personal stake in Dreadwolf. and thus be back.. so its odd they are getting relegated to not appearing or being npcs. didnt finish it, so... is there any chance the MC from this new on IS supposed to be the Inquisitor? sure, some of them would be too busy being leaders. kindof like leliana in inquisition.

How will they catch everyone up on the story? I'm pretty sure the vast majority did NOT play inquisition and its dlc.. I think thats a big problem, and also a major problem with this "new audience" idea. anyone arguing that new zoomers are the new audience. great. but this is the 4th game is a series, that directly ties into previous games. again to the point that they outright load save data from the previous.
how did that shit work out for homeworld 3?

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
GPtgNsNXUAMvQqb

alex-valle.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Uh huh.

Problem is that when you've got a studio that's developed a bad reputation there's really no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they're dialed into a target demo that doesn't consist of fan's of the series and instead is striking into a new demographic of young teenagers in order to capture a wider audience. Or, they're incompetent and just about everything in the game will be as off as the trailer and general direction.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users