Eating fish contaminated by Fukushima is probably ok

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Useful sure but "Bee's all die = we all die." Isn't too much of a hyperbole, but you couldn't dream about saying that about anything that's extinct thus far.

In fact I can't name a single animal that's gone extinct from modern man that's really been an inconvenience.
Mammoths.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah the bee thing is pretty serious. I heard that EU outlawed a bunch of pesticides that were shown to be cocking over the bees and now their population is coming back. Personally it seems hard to believe that such a domesticated and useful animal would ever go instinct and once we figured out what's causing the problem and stopped it they would resurge back.
There is a nicotine based pesticide that, I believe, doesn't kill them instantly but will eventually cause CCD within the hive if enough sticks to the pollen they carry. From what I remember, it has some kind of huge bio-accumulation rate in bees that didn't get detected because it takes a while to build up. I could be wrong about the reason, but it's definitely, as far as I'm aware, that nicotine derivative pesticide that is doing it. And yeah, Europe outlawed it and their hives are on the rebound.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Mammoths.
from modern man
Maybe I'm using the word modern man wrong but mammoths were the first thing I thought of when I was thinking about extinct animals. There's also a number of animals that were native to some area that got completely wiped out when man entered that area. They'd be completely unafraid of man and man would just annihilate them (Or get sick ala buffalo in the US).

That being said I do feel at least a little inconvenienced that snuffaluffagus is alone

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Modern man was inconvenienced by the extinction of mammoths?
Yes. Look at the marvelous things the Thai people (and others) do with domesticated Asian elephants. Think of what could have been if we'd domesticated the Mammoth instead if driving them off cliffs to their deaths.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes. Look at the marvelous things the Thai people (and others) do with domesticated Asian elephants. Think of what could have been if we'd domesticated the Mammoth instead if driving them off cliffs to their deaths.
We didn't make them extinct though, which is the precondition I added.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
holy fucking lol

tad10

Elisha Dushku
We didn't make them extinct though, which is the precondition I added.
Homo Sapiens killed off the Mammoth. It certainly wasn't radioactive Pacific Bluefin Tuna... or was it?

Ive given away too much of the plot of Tunasami already. You'll have to watch it to find out.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We'd all have been a lot warmer this past week, I can tell you that.

IsqMLIE.png

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I don't have a kindle book. But in the unlikely event I get something produced, I'll mention it in the book or movie thread.
Well if you didn't write this then I guess there's no harm in posting it then.

Amazon.com: Ten Things (you need to know before the end of the world) eBook: Trevor Dewey: Kindle Store

Ten Things (you need to know before the end of the world) explains why a solar flare similiar to the one that knocked out telegraph stations in 1859 and will damage or destroy our modern power grid and industrial base is likely in the next forty years. It then discusses what you need to do to prepare for this event. Topics include: how to synthesize your own antibiotics, why you'll need to build your own steam power system and eight other important things you need to know and do to prepare to revive our industrial civilization after a collapse.
This book points out the flaws in most survivalist plans which are only to subsist off stockpiles of supplies, but what do they do when the supplies run out? A big Donner party comes to mind, but who is going to rescue them? It's going to be the hard working intelligent people who have the means of production i.e. the long term solution to a catastrophe. Thank you for pointing out the falacy of most survivalists and I hope your book inspires a change in their plans in case something dreadful does happen in the World so humanity has an actual chance to survive afterwards.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Wouldn't mammoths be extinct anyway since it became too fucking warm for them?
Well, the global warming is the commonly accepted cause for mammoth extinction, there is no concrete proof that man caused the extinction of mammoths. This is just more of tad's pseudo-science bullshit that he throws out all the time

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Well, the global warming is the commonly accepted cause for mammoth extinction, there is no concrete proof that man caused the extinction of mammoths. This is just more of tad's pseudo-science bullshit that he throws out all the time
Trying to deny the blood on your mammoth murdering ancestors' hands I see.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Im sure you can provide scientific proof of this.

iannis

Musty Nester
You know that thing where animal populations will pygmie themselves over the course of generations if they're presented with an environment of scarcity? Like the hobbit people and the midget horses on that island? And housecats?

Seems like that might be what happened to the giant beasts. Not that we have pygmie mammoths, but something along those lines.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
You know that thing where animal populations will pygmie themselves over the course of generations if they're presented with an environment of scarcity? Like the hobbit people and the midget horses on that island? And housecats?

Seems like that might be what happened to the giant beasts. Not that we have pygmie mammoths, but something along those lines.
Pygmie mammoths did exist on Wrangel island, they were the last ones to die off.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

There were dwarf mammoths in Siberia and it was the last place they survived, but perhaps they survived there because it was relatively mammoth slaughtering human free.